• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question for all the Kaep supporters

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not saying he has but the reality is that he will. Teams will adjust to his style and Harbaugh is going to use Kaeps skills to make his team better, that means more risk. Thats the ONLY reason CK is starting, bigger arm, more athletic, etc. That means you use those skills making for bigger plays for the Niners AND WAY more risk for them as well. You arent going to CK to do what Smith does or you would just stay with Smith.

CK is able to capitalize where Smith can't. You expect him to do play the same way Smith does, but when there is a chance he is able to take it. Smith won't even try. They aren't suddenly going to change the entire philosophy of the teams offense because Kaep has a bigger arm. It is still a run first team with a really good defense. Only now instead of checking down or taking a sack he is able to hit an out pattern.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep is no RG3 and even if he was do you guys aspire to be 5-6???

I'm saying that just because he is not experienced doesn't mean he is going to start turning the ball over left and right. I would rather see 3 tds and a pick or even 2 than 1 td and no picks.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt say they would be pass first. Thats nowhere in my posts but they are and will be a more vertical passing team with CK and they will definitely be taking more chances with him on the outside. Listen I get having the high hopes, I hope they work out for you (as long as its not against Atlanta :) ) but to pretend this move isnt high risk is lunacy. The reward of potentially winning a SB is great but you can do that with Alex and not have as much downside IMO. I guess we will see.

I don't believe the move is of high of a risk as claimed. It would be closer to high risk territory should the philoshpy/identity of the offense change at this point.

We're going to continue to do what we've been doing behind a more talented QB. The plays where Alex couldn't get done will get done(most likely) by Kaepernick. The passing game threat definitely increased.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on KNBR this morning that in the huddle while calling a play for Frank Gore, he told Gore "You better run, mother fucker". That's cool. I don't think Smith would ever do that.

That's the fourth "mother fucker" I've seen in the last two weeks by him. Not a criticism, really, but he keeps saying it. I don't really care because if he says it after every TD or great play, I hope to hear it a lot. It's just that people cite it as if it's something new from him. That's just the way he talks. He probably says, "I'm hitting the can, mother fuckers" when he goes to take a dump.

Smith would never do it the way Kaep did, but I assume he has had his leadership moments, too.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol Truth be told, in the recent weeks I really notice Kaep's voice being a bit high pitch but hearing the words mother fucker in his tone is funny as hell

lol :llama:

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should prepare ourselves for more turnovers with Kaep at the helm, as opposed to Smith. I liken the comparison between Kaep and Smith to a playmaking center versus a defensive center in hockey. The defensive centermen is going to have less turnovers, but also less assists than the playmaking centermen. The playmaking centermen is willing to take more risks in hopes of setting up his teammate for a goal. But in doing so, will have more turnovers.

Kaep has shown the willingness to make the difficult throw into tight windows, much more so than Smith. Interceptions will come along with the territory. When Kaep extends plays by eluding pressure, fumbles may occur. What I want to see out of Kaep is how he adjusts, in game, after a turnover.

I thought I was going to see this ability to adjust in the Saints game when they were down 7-14 going into the 2nd half, in large part due to Kaep's INT. The Brooks pick-6 changed all that by relieving a lot of pressure that would have been on Kaep to open the second half. Kaep did lead the 2nd half opening drive to a TD, that's a good sign regarding mental toughness.

Kaep's going to have a horrific turnover at some point, a turnover Smith would never make. It's all about how Kaep responds afterwards. Does he shell up and stops being aggressive? Does he continue to make the same mistake? Or does he learn quickly?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it gets really easy to compare the two on every throw, every article we read about them, every interview we read, etc. when we make assumptions on the other that isn't really fair. Both Kaep and Smith are hard workers; I like to read the 6 AM stories, but not in reference or comparison to Smith's hard work. I like to see quotes about wanting to win, but don't think it makes sense to compare them with Smith's style of interviewing.

As to more substantive things like play on the field, every time we see a turnover by Kaep, some people will think "experience would have been better here" or "Smith wouldn't have done that" and if we lose by a small margin, some people will exaggerate that, despite the fact that Smith has thrown INTs before and believe it or not, Smith has tried narrow window throws before that have been intercepted. So it's easy to assume the negatives that Kaep has to be bigger or a flaw. If we don't make it to the NFCC game, like Sando said in his chat, people are going to say it was a mistake to move to Kaep, even though getting there wasn't guaranteed in any way with Smith.

Conversely, with comparisons go, it'll probably get really annoying for some to hear after every big throw - "Smith can't do that" or assume we would have lost the game without that big play. The truth is, Smith has made some big throws, some tight window passes, and we might have still won using a different game plan built for Smith - it's just a lot less often where a big throw is made by Smith and Kaep's play is more exciting (and sometimes more probable for victory). There are, of course, games where Smith's approach won't win and Kaep does, so I'm not saying they are equal. In other words, Kaep is better, but the comparisons after every big throw may become too much. I'd rather just celebrate the win or lament the loss without the what ifs, too bads, or digging at Smith/Kaep.

I want the big throws and I want the excitement, but pretty soon the comparisons will get old. I understand turnovers are big, but pretty soon the comparisons will too get old. Just let Kaep be Kaep and compare his current play with previous play and see where he improves and what he needs to work on. Most have acknowledged that Kaep is better and in the grand scheme, comparisons are apt; it's just comparisons of each and every anything in the small minutia that can get out of hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the link above:

UPDATE 4:03 p.m. ET: Actually, Smith came close to saying “this is why players hide concussions.” According to Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle, Smith also said, “I feel like the only thing I did to lose my job was get a concussion.”

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the link above:

UPDATE 4:03 p.m. ET: Actually, Smith came close to saying “this is why players hide concussions.” According to Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle, Smith also said, “I feel like the only thing I did to lose my job was get a concussion.”

Even though he lost his job because Kaep was better, it's safe to say that barring the unforeseen, Kaep would not have had his chance but for that concussion. To the extent that he could have been dishonest and hidden some symptoms, honesty cost him his job. As for next year, his weaknesses cost him that.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad he said what he said. People may disagree with it and most agree with the decision to go with Kaep, but I was fully expecting him to just say:

- Happy for the team, the team goes first.
- Kaep played great, hats off to him.
- Not my decision.
- Something about how he would still report the symptoms if he had to do it all over again. Long term over short term, smart decision.
- Absolutely, no question.

I believe he thinks all this too, but saying it would have been disappointing for me. I greatly respected his pride and desire to start here over a fresh start elsewhere. Going all PC would have undone some of that (not all). He gave it his all, helped us, and now we have the closer. I think we needed him more at the start of the year than now at the end.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the link above:

I have said in other threads how I felt Smith is disconnected from his own performances - this, IMO, serves only to reinforce that opinion.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the fourth "mother fucker" I've seen in the last two weeks by him. Not a criticism, really, but he keeps saying it. I don't really care because if he says it after every TD or great play, I hope to hear it a lot. It's just that people cite it as if it's something new from him. That's just the way he talks. He probably says, "I'm hitting the can, mother fuckers" when he goes to take a dump.Smith would never do it the way Kaep did, but I assume he has had his leadership moments, too.

That's the way we talked in the military but it meant nothing.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep's going to have a horrific turnover at some point, a turnover Smith would never make. It's all about how Kaep responds afterwards. Does he shell up and stops being aggressive? Does he continue to make the same mistake? Or does he learn quickly?

Smith has had his share of bad turnovers. I know he is pretty good with the ball nowadays, but I am not worried about it. Put it this way.... CK is better at throwing the long ball. Smith might not throw a pick, but the throws he misses for long TD's this season, I think CK would have completed.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute now, didn't you tell me 4 years ago that Balmer was better than Welker?

No, I told you I wouldn't spend a 2nd rounder on Welker. How you came up with that conclusion is beyond words.