• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

quality starts for a qb?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so watching harbaugh's news conf got me thinking if there is such a thing like in baseball. so i quickly went back over the past 3 seasons and looked at the games of rodgers, brees, brady and manning(eli this year, payton other 2). all playoff teams with over 73% win % between them.

i used a cutoff of 95 passer rating. usually seems like the cutoff for a decent td:int ratio and 7+ ypa.

so in quality starts, 84% wins and in non-quality starts 59%. in the playoffs the team with the quality start usually wins. smaller sample size, but out of the above qb's only peyton last year lost a quality start without the opposing qb having one.

the point. passer rating shows qb efficiency. a good d will hurt that efficiency giving your offense a better chance to win if your qb can be efficient. they always say u win championships with defense. the better the d, the less pressure on the qb.

only 2 qb's have had a quality start against us. romo and vick. smith played well against both teams giving us a chance to win both games. in all our other games our d has just shut down the opposing offense. on that note i'm fealing much more confident about our chances come playoff time.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so watching harbaugh's news conf got me thinking if there is such a thing like in baseball. so i quickly went back over the past 3 seasons and looked at the games of rodgers, brees, brady and manning(eli this year, payton other 2). all playoff teams with over 73% win % between them.

i used a cutoff of 95 passer rating. usually seems like the cutoff for a decent td:int ratio and 7+ ypa.

so in quality starts, 84% wins and in non-quality starts 59%. in the playoffs the team with the quality start usually wins. smaller sample size, but out of the above qb's only peyton last year lost a quality start without the opposing qb having one.

the point. passer rating shows qb efficiency. a good d will hurt that efficiency giving your offense a better chance to win if your qb can be efficient. they always say u win championships with defense. the better the d, the less pressure on the qb.

only 2 qb's have had a quality start against us. romo and vick. smith played well against both teams giving us a chance to win both games. in all our other games our d has just shut down the opposing offense. on that note i'm fealing much more confident about our chances come playoff time.

That's some good work, right there. Well done! So, the moral of the story - stay the course and enjoy the results. I hope we can - so far, so good.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
basically stay the course on offense, but do call a FEW more passes downfield. we'll need this in the play-offs so why not a few more each game?

defensively, i'd start calling a few more blitzes cause again, we'll need it later.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my interpretation is basically:

a) a top defense can limit the opposing offense, giving your offense more margin for error.

b) a top qb can give your defense more margin for error, but even the best qb's can put more pressure on a defense (look at favre in the past and rivers this year)

harbaugh seems to realize this magic formula for success. the question is, can the d hold and in the low % chance that the d breaks can the offense and alex smith put up the numbers when needed? if we end up playing the saints then the packers in the playoffs, chances are one of those qb's will have a good game.