• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Qualifications for making the College Football Playoff

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The gap in SOS might be closing, but UCF was the only one that won all their games...and they would have been if an 8 team playoff according to the CFP rankings.

Why do you think P5 schedules would get weaker if they expanded the playoffs?
Because the current system remains largely subjective. We've seen 1-loss, non-conference champs get into the top 4 based on their schedules, wins, and w/e else the committee deems better than alternatives. An expanded systems seems headed for auto-bids. That said, why should P5 teams beat themselves up with big, non-conference opponents? Win your conference, get into the playoff.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the current system remains largely subjective. We've seen 1-loss, non-conference champs get into the top 4 based on their schedules, wins, and w/e else the committee deems better than alternatives. An expanded systems seems headed for auto-bids. That said, why should P5 teams beat themselves up with big, non-conference opponents? Win your conference, get into the playoff.
Wouldn’t that promote more teams to schedule even weaker since beating strong OOC opponents is meaningless so why take the chance of injury when you can play weaker teams and have a better chance to be healthy?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to do. The Committee would have to adopt a formula. Either way, it's not right to assume a P5 team has a better schedule than G5 simply because they're in a P5 conference.

Look, it's not rocket science, it's not like we don't have years of empirical evidence where G5 conferences consistently have losing records against P5 conferences. If The AAC starts running the table against P5 leagues then the narrative will change. As it is, UCF's AAC opponents went a combined 3-7 against P5 opponents. How would you feel about the quality of a 3-7 P5 team? P6 my ass...

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree. The current system was set up specifically without autobids...I don't think the decision making has changed on that.

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn’t that promote more teams to schedule even weaker since beating strong OOC opponents is meaningless so why take the chance of injury when you can play weaker teams and have a better chance to be healthy?
This is exactly why Bama & Auburn play FCS teams the week before the Iron Bowl. SEC doesn't allow them to be off that week and both schools prefer to lick wounds before (potentially) their biggest game of the year.

Look, it's not rocket science, it's not like we don't have years of empirical evidence where G5 conferences consistently have losing records against P5 conferences. If The AAC starts running the table against P5 leagues then the narrative will change. As it is, UCF's AAC opponents went a combined 3-7 against P5 opponents. How would you feel about the quality of a 3-7 P5 team? P6 my ass...
P5 schedules are historically stronger than G5, no shit. The point you can't have a system that immediately writes off G5. If that ever happens, G5 breaks off, does their own thing and the FBS national championship becomes disputed.

I disagree. The current system was set up specifically without autobids...I don't think the decision making has changed on that.
All the talk surrounding an 8-team playoff centers on auto-bids for conference champs. I personally hate the idea. We don't need 4 or 5 loss teams potentially sneaking into the playoff.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
P5 schedules are historically stronger than G5, no shit. The point you can't have a system that immediately writes off G5. If that ever happens, G5 breaks off, does their own thing and the FBS national championship becomes disputed.

All the talk surrounding an 8-team playoff centers on auto-bids for conference champs. I personally hate the idea. We don't need 4 or 5 loss teams potentially sneaking into the playoff.

The G5 isn't breaking off from anything. They made their decision a long time ago, there isn't any money in a G5 playoff and they aren't giving up any of that sweet sweet P5 money anytime soon. The G5 programs need the P5 a lot more than the other way around.

All the message board talk maybe. The actual decision makers have never leaned towards an autobid system. I don't even see a situation where the top G5 would get an autobid in an 8 team, there would be qualifiers.

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The G5 isn't breaking off from anything. They made their decision a long time ago, there isn't any money in a G5 playoff and they aren't giving up any of that sweet sweet P5 money anytime soon. The G5 programs need the P5 a lot more than the other way around.

All the message board talk maybe. The actual decision makers have never leaned towards an autobid system. I don't even see a situation where the top G5 would get an autobid in an 8 team, there would be qualifiers.
An 8-team playoff is atrocious either way. It would be all the P5 conference champs and a few at-large bids. We'd essentially get a fucking "wildcard" team with 3-losses, pulling a few upsets, and ending up in the NCCG.

And ultimately, advertisers are steering this ship. Most of those contracts are up after next year's CFP and I project the renewals process will ignite expansion. Might be expanding to 6 for now.

The Group 5 payout for last year's CFP was a little over $81M. Looks great on paper...until you divide that payout by 60 teams. I believe that, with TV contracts and sponsors, Group 5 could find more money in their own playoff.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An 8-team playoff is atrocious either way. It would be all the P5 conference champs and a few at-large bids. We'd essentially get a fucking "wildcard" team with 3-losses, pulling a few upsets, and ending up in the NCCG.

And ultimately, advertisers are steering this ship. Most of those contracts are up after next year's CFP and I project the renewals process will ignite expansion. Might be expanding to 6 for now.

The Group 5 payout for last year's CFP was a little over $81M. Looks great on paper...until you divide that payout by 60 teams. I believe that, with TV contracts and sponsors, Group 5 could find more money in their own playoff.
I don’t think they are going to find that much considering they are also going to lose a 4mill payout for the NY6 bowl game plus whatever the payouts are for the other 3-7 teams bowl games since they are usually paired up with P5 opponents.

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think they are going to find that much considering they are also going to lose a 4mill payout for the NY6 bowl game plus whatever the payouts are for the other 3-7 teams bowl games since they are usually paired up with P5 opponents.
We'll see. The game is changing. UCF is winning game, adding more luxury seats to their stadium, and pull down about $2.5M per home game. More P5 schools will follow suit, if they haven't already. There's just something about P5 taking 75% of the bowl season proceeds that isn't right at all.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. The game is changing. UCF is winning game, adding more luxury seats to their stadium, and pull down about $2.5M per home game. More P5 schools will follow suit, if they haven't already. There's just something about P5 taking 75% of the bowl season proceeds that isn't right at all.
Probably because they bring in over 75% of the fans.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:lol:

I hope you don't actually believe this stuff.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sorry, but based on what.

ESPN's contract for the CFP runs through 2025.

There is no money or tv interest in the G5 without the P5. You could count on 1 hand the number of G5 vs G5 games that draw more than 2 million viewers annually.

Let's compare two leagues who have similar geographic footprints, but wildly different deals. The MAC TV deal(which is the best G5 tv deal) pays each MAC school $670,000 annually. The B1G TV deal pays each member $51 million annually.

LOL, at playoff sponsors. Do you think ESPN bought 15 shitty bowls because of the lucrative sponsorship opportunities. LOL, they bought them because bowls are relatively cheap programming and if they didn't step in, some of them would have gone away due to lack of local interest, selling the sponsorship rights is entirely secondary. You think ESPN is going to spring for extra money to televise G5 teams in shitty playoff games when they can get them to play in shitty bowls games they own for virtually free.

The G5 playoffs might be slightly more lucrative than the FCS playoffs...which is to say they might actually make money, but they aren't netting any 81 million a year, they would be lucky to not operate at a loss.

The G5 teams are getting exactly what they expected to get, The squeaky wheel(UCF AD) is so much sound and fury signifying nothing. He risks nothing by running his mouth and it gets UCF free publicity, but at the end of the day, UCF as an institution is happily cashing the checks.

Badb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listed in level of importance:

1. Be a P5 team
2. Go undefeated
3. If you lose, make sure it's a close game
4. Don't lose 2 games
5. Play a good OOC opponent and either win or lose close
6. Win your conference

I think this is how they actually do it.
It’s simple really just win your damn games. As far as UFC move to a real conference and win your Damn games.
That’s all

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but based on what.

ESPN's contract for the CFP runs through 2025.

There is no money or tv interest in the G5 without the P5. You could count on 1 hand the number of G5 vs G5 games that draw more than 2 million viewers annually.

Let's compare two leagues who have similar geographic footprints, but wildly different deals. The MAC TV deal(which is the best G5 tv deal) pays each MAC school $670,000 annually. The B1G TV deal pays each member $51 million annually.

LOL, at playoff sponsors. Do you think ESPN bought 15 shitty bowls because of the lucrative sponsorship opportunities. LOL, they bought them because bowls are relatively cheap programming and if they didn't step in, some of them would have gone away due to lack of local interest, selling the sponsorship rights is entirely secondary. You think ESPN is going to spring for extra money to televise G5 teams in shitty playoff games when they can get them to play in shitty bowls games they own for virtually free.

The G5 playoffs might be slightly more lucrative than the FCS playoffs...which is to say they might actually make money, but they aren't netting any 81 million a year, they would be lucky to not operate at a loss.

The G5 teams are getting exactly what they expected to get, The squeaky wheel(UCF AD) is so much sound and fury signifying nothing. He risks nothing by running his mouth and it gets UCF free publicity, but at the end of the day, UCF as an institution is happily cashing the checks.
Playoff sponsors, dummy, playoff sponsors. Contracts can be renegotiated and the CFP deal with ESPN likely will be before 2025.

There's more networks than ESPN, btw. Stop assuming that a G5 playoff would be a bust because it wouldn't make the ridiculous profit the current CFP does. That's not the bar G5 would need to reach to be considered a success.

Jeez... progression means nothing to you hard-headed fucks.

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s simple really just win your damn games. As far as UFC move to a real conference and win your Damn games.
That’s all
UCF, they are U C F.

You can't come across as the eBadass when you post it wrong.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do people act like because G5 teams have had little success under various formats rigged against them, that that justifies an 8 team playoff rigged against them as well? Will G5 teams ever catch P5 teams? Not likely. But how much better might G5 teams become compared to what they have been with a 8 teams format where they basically control their playoff destiny compared to every format to date where they had very little chance.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playoff sponsors, dummy, playoff sponsors. Contracts can be renegotiated and the CFP deal with ESPN likely will be before 2025,

There's more networks than ESPN, btw. Stop assuming that a G5 playoff would be a bust because it wouldn't make the ridiculous profit the current CFP does. That's not the bar G5 would need to reach to be considered a success.

Jeez... progression means nothing to you hard-headed fucks.

I don't think you have a clue how any of this works.

Contracts can be renegotiated when both parties want to renegotiate. ESPN isn't renegotiating, because they have no incentive to, particularly not for some hare brained G5 playoffs that they would have no interest in.

The fact remains that nobody watches G5 vs G5 games for the most part...therefore nobody is going to want to sponsor them and nobody is going to want to televise them. What is so hard to understand about that.

It's cute that you think NBC, CBS or Fox is going to pony up actual money to televise this shitfest.

There is no way in hell G5 playoffs make more the 81 million...period. Any other argument you want to make is just you running your mouth, because it's not happening.

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you have a clue how any of this works.

Contracts can be renegotiated when both parties want to renegotiate. ESPN isn't renegotiating, because they have no incentive to, particularly not for some hare brained G5 playoffs that they would have no interest in.

The fact remains that nobody watches G5 vs G5 games for the most part...therefore nobody is going to want to sponsor them and nobody is going to want to televise them. What is so hard to understand about that.

It's cute that you think NBC, CBS or Fox is going to pony up actual money to televise this shitfest.

There is no way in hell G5 playoffs make more the 81 million...period. Any other argument you want to make is just you running your mouth, because it's not happening.
It's cute you're so dismissive about something you really don't know the first thing about. The currently playoff systems is basically an Alabama Invitational. There's a growing number of people unhappy with it. Part of it has to do with people sick of seeing the same teams in it, part is butthurt certain conferences are left out, and now a growing number unhappy that teams like UCF don't have a "fair" shot. However you look at it, change is a coming. Deny it all you want, but you'll look like a damn fool.