• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Qualifications for making the College Football Playoff

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would define close as 14 or less depending on when the last score occurred. Fifteen points or more is no longer a salvageable loss, ESPECIALLY to a team ranked significantly lower than said team. While losing to LSU in Baton Rouge isn't a bad thing (Georgia), losing by 20 points is definitely a bad thing.

I'd agree with that. Would a game like OSU vs. Maryland or Nebraska count against them or because they won, it would just be looked at as a win?

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really though. Go find your argument elsewhere, not interested.

Really though. I’m not looking for an argument, just commenting on your tantrum. Instead of your “unpopular opinion” threads you should do “terry’s daily bitch fest”.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really though. I’m not looking for an argument, just commenting on your tantrum. Instead of your “unpopular opinion” threads you should do “terry’s daily bitch fest”.

I'll let management know of your request.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll let management know of your request.

Well, if you’re not gonna change the title, just keep being completely wrong every time. That’s entertaining enough.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally @Terry Rode I wish they would split the P5 and G5 and have two different playoff systems for each. I don't see it as beneficial to anyone in a G5 conference to try and compete for the same trophy as bluebloods even when you manage a 25 game winning streak. If they held a separate playoff, say within the bowl system, but with an equally meaningful championship playoff, I think that would be awesome. They could use the Birmingham Bowl and the Arizona Bowl as semifinal destinations and have the championship in the Military Bowl, Boca Raton Bowl, or the Hawaii Bowl each year.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aah gotcha. Mah bad for misreading #1. You would still consider Auburn and TCU good OOC opponents even with their records?

Not so much good as just respectable. But good works too. Both teams have solid strengths (defense) and can't be assumed as a win for really anybody. I'd say .500 and above for an OOC is good. You never know going into the season exactly how good a team will be outside of your match up.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally @Terry Rode I wish they would split the P5 and G5 and have two different playoff systems for each. I don't see it as beneficial to anyone in a G5 conference to try and compete for the same trophy as bluebloods even when you manage a 25 game winning streak. If they held a separate playoff, say within the bowl system, but with an equally meaningful championship playoff, I think that would be awesome. They could use the Birmingham Bowl and the Arizona Bowl as semifinal destinations and have the championship in the Military Bowl, Boca Raton Bowl, or the Hawaii Bowl each year.

It’s not beneficial for them competition wise, they like the money though. It’s clearly enough for them to be happy with a New Years 6 bowl as their ceiling.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like the way the FCS has their championship tournament, but I wouldn't put THAT many teams in it. I'm an advocate for a 6-team playoff in FBS. I think it would reward the best two teams more and it would have a real possibility to actually have a G5 team in there. However, there are years where 6 teams haven't been worthy for a playoff. For example this year. There's no reason for a 6 team playoff because then you would probably have Georgia and Ohio State in there and I don't think Ohio State belongs anywhere near playoff consideration. FCS could have a 6-team playoff or maybe have the 5 non P5 conference champs play, with the best G5 team getting a bye during week 1? IDK the best way to do it.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the way the FCS has their championship tournament, but I wouldn't put THAT many teams in it. I'm an advocate for a 6-team playoff in FBS. I think it would reward the best two teams more and it would have a real possibility to actually have a G5 team in there. However, there are years where 6 teams haven't been worthy for a playoff. For example this year. There's no reason for a 6 team playoff because then you would probably have Georgia and Ohio State in there and I don't think Ohio State belongs anywhere near playoff consideration. FCS could have a 6-team playoff or maybe have the 5 non P5 conference champs play, with the best G5 team getting a bye during week 1? IDK the best way to do it.

You should start a thread about it. If there’s one thing we don’t get enough, it’s people repeating their ideas on playoff expansion.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should start a thread about it. If there’s one thing we don’t get enough, it’s people repeating their ideas on playoff expansion.

I've said what I need to say about it. Normal people who care about others opinions know where I stand.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s not beneficial for them competition wise, they like the money though. It’s clearly enough for them to be happy with a New Years 6 bowl as their ceiling.
I agree. But my point stands as I wish they would at LEAST give them a championship to play for instead of a consolation bowl against someone that 9/10 has a deeper, more talented roster with better coaches. Is it cool to see that upset every three or four years? Sure. But at the end of the day all they are playing for is a chance to beat the 3rd-5th best team in a P5 conference.

I think this would be better:

Birmingham Bowl (location in seed favor)
1. UCF
4. Army

Arizona Bowl (location in seed favor)
2. Fresno State
3. UAB

And then the championship in Boca Raton, Hawaii, or Military Bowl pending on the yearly rotation. I would watch those match ups, as would a lot of fans knowing something is really on the line besides an Amazon Gift card and a new pair of Beats headphones.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree with that. Would a game like OSU vs. Maryland or Nebraska count against them or because they won, it would just be looked at as a win?

Depends on the year. The eye test can be used to say they aren't playing up to their potential, so consistency is lacking. That's not a team you would want to see in the playoffs. Notre Dame, while spotty at times, had some surprisingly dominant performances this season and didn't lose, and they also played several different types of schemes in the process. May Ohio State be better than Notre Dame? Maybe, but the results and play on the field say that Notre Dame is the better, more deserving team as they left no doubt about their season with a 12-0 record.

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listed in level of importance:

1. Be a P5 team
2. Go undefeated
3. If you lose, make sure it's a close game
4. Don't lose 2 games
5. Play a good OOC opponent and either win or lose close
6. Win your conference

I think this is how they actually do it.

#7 dont be UCF

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that is, even a couple of the P5 commissioners point out that a true split would also likely lead to P5's only playing P5's and then everyone loses. I don't agree it HAS to mean that, but that's the narrative.

If you don't have P5's, particularly the middle/lower tier ones playing at least 2-3 G5's every year you have to throw out the bowl system as well, or at least how you qualify for them because those easy to reach .500 seasons vanish.

It isn't just the G5's that profit from this existing relationship. They would lose millions in such a deal with lost revenue for traveling to those P5 teams that feast off of them. P5's would end up having *gasp* ONLY 6 home games and would lose a fuck ton of money as well.

I'm entirely for the idea of splitting, but the reality is a lot of the power elite will never go for it and the G5's can't afford to let go of it either.

I really don't know why everyone assumes that G5 teams getting their own playoff would have to mean the end of cross games between them and the P5. To me it could work if they still had an agreement in place for those added games.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. But my point stands as I wish they would at LEAST give them a championship to play for instead of a consolation bowl against someone that 9/10 has a deeper, more talented roster with better coaches. Is it cool to see that upset every three or four years? Sure. But at the end of the day all they are playing for is a chance to beat the 3rd-5th best team in a P5 conference.

I think this would be better:

Birmingham Bowl (location in seed favor)
1. UCF
4. Army

Arizona Bowl (location in seed favor)
2. Fresno State
3. UAB

And then the championship in Boca Raton, Hawaii, or Military Bowl pending on the yearly rotation. I would watch those match ups, as would a lot of fans knowing something is really on the line besides an Amazon Gift card and a new pair of Beats headphones.

UCF is getting millions for their NY6 games...partly becasue the ratings justify the payout. the difference in viewers between UCF's top rated NY6 bowl and their next highest rated non-NY6 bowl game ever is more than the population of New York City. If you think they are getting near the payout to play Army in the Birmingham Bowl you are kidding yourself.

The G5 teams know where their bread is buttered, they have no interest in their own playoffs...because there's no money in it.

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listed in level of importance:

1. Be a P5 team
2. Go undefeated
3. If you lose, make sure it's a close game
4. Don't lose 2 games
5. Play a good OOC opponent and either win or lose close
6. Win your conference

I think this is how they actually do it.

7. Best to lose early

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing we know for sure so far is you can't lose twice .

Plenty if teams have played shitty ooc and made the playoffs, a team made it after getting blown out by .500 team and multiple teams have made it without winning their conference

Pretty much the only certainties so far are
- be a P5 team
- don't lose more than once

After that the narrative changes based on what teams are left. Some years it's best win, others it's best loss , others it's the eye test. Every year it's bullshit .