• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Solving the college football issue

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some suggestions

1. Cap NIL money amounts
2. Limit the number of transfers
3. Don't allow portal entry until after the bowl games.
4. NIL money only good if you play the whole season, including bowl games. If you don't, it's returned. Exceptions for injury. Maybe don't pay the NIL money until the season over.
5. You opt out, you forfeit NIL money.

Thoughts?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
End the NIL charade and just create contracts between the players and the school directly.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
End the NIL charade and just create contracts between the players and the school directly.
How would you do that? Didn’t the Supreme Court rule in favor of players getting NIL money?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you do that? Didn’t the Supreme Court rule in favor of players getting NIL money?

NIL is the current solution because the schools aren't paying athletes directly. If you create employment contracts with the players, you can require them to play in bowl games or suffer a financial penalty.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just some suggestions

1. Cap NIL money amounts
2. Limit the number of transfers
3. Don't allow portal entry until after the bowl games.
4. NIL money only good if you play the whole season, including bowl games. If you don't, it's returned. Exceptions for injury. Maybe don't pay the NIL money until the season over.
5. You opt out, you forfeit NIL money.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately they went into this with no ground rules. That was extremely short sighted.

No one saw someone like Ewers pulling his bullshit because we all assume if someone takes that kind of money from someone they'd feel some semblance of pride to honor that transaction.

Unfortunately people are self serving...and that's fine and all but it's led to this. Gotta reel it back in.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NIL is the current solution because the schools aren't paying athletes directly. If you create employment contracts with the players, you can require them to play in bowl games or suffer a financial penalty.
NIL will pay far more than contracts will pay for the top players. So it won’t matter.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NIL will pay far more than contracts will pay for the top players. So it won’t matter.

The point is when you create contracts, you create legal obligations for the players. So yes, it will matter.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is when you create contracts, you create legal obligations for the players. So yes, it will matter.
The point is a bad point.

A 5* athlete comes to your program with millions of NIL money, and says he doesn’t want to play in meaningless bowl game, are you seriously going to tell him to sign somewhere else that will be more accommodating? Even if he backs out, what are you going to do? What if he claims a nagging injury?

There is no solution to this problem for the top players. Just dump these meaningless bowl games or accept that most the top NFL talent isn’t going to play in them.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is only a few opt-outs. I think this is overblown. Most 84 man rosters might have at most half a dozen NFL prospects at best.
We have had opt-outs for the last 10 years and no one got too carried away about it.

Florida State was an extreme exception, because they acted like children and the media ran with the "narrative of grievance."
And FSU really only had a handful of actual NFL optouts.

The overwhelming majority of their "so called" 26 optouts were actually transfer/injury players.
The media kept incorrectly calling them opt-outs trying to create a narrative of protest and disinterest in the bowl game.

Just move the portal date to after the bowl games...and a lot of the "so-called problem" goes away easily. The transfers stick around.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is only a few opt-outs. I think this is overblown. Most 84 man rosters might have at most half a dozen NFL prospects at best.
We have had opt-outs for the last 10 years and no one got too carried away about it.

Florida State was an extreme exception, because they acted like children and the media ran with the "narrative of grievance."
And FSU really only had a handful of actual NFL optouts.

The overwhelming majority of their "so called" 26 optouts were actually transfer/injury players.
The media kept incorrectly calling them opt-outs trying to create a narrative of protest and disinterest in the bowl game.

Just move the portal date to after the bowl games...and a lot of the "so-called problem" goes away easily. The transfers stick around.
I don’t see that solving the problem. Rumors will come out about guys transferring and coaches don’t want to spend weeks of prep time working with a guy who will enter the transfer portal a week or two after the game.

In my opinion, it’s better for the programs if the guys let their teams know they are leaving before these non-playoff bowl games are playing.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see that solving the problem. Rumors will come out about guys transferring and coaches don’t want to spend weeks of prep time working with a guy who will enter the transfer portal a week or two after the game.

In my opinion, it’s better for the programs if the guys let their teams know they are leaving before these non-playoff bowl games are playing.

everyone keeps looking at this from the lens of "what's good for programs" and not is what is good for the sport itself.

Eventually shitty bowl games circle back around and bite everyone in the ass. We assume fan interest will remain stable. It will not.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everyone keeps looking at this from the lens of "what's good for programs" and not is what is good for the sport itself.

Eventually shitty bowl games circle back around and bite everyone in the ass. We assume fan interest will remain stable. It will not.
Of course they are, the programs are what drives the sports.

It’s not good to force people to play. It becomes what the NFL pro bowl became. The solution is the expanded playoffs. You’ve got to quit trying to make kids interested in a meaningless bowl game when they have legit NFL possibilities.

Let guys opt out and let the kids trying to prove themselves play the games.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they are, the programs are what drives the sports.

It’s not good to force people to play. It becomes what the NFL pro bowl became. The solution is the expanded playoffs. You’ve got to quit trying to make kids interested in a meaningless bowl game when they have legit NFL possibilities.

Let guys opt out and let the kids trying to prove themselves play the games.

they now get paid to play. They need to play. It's called being an adult. The bowl season is part of the league year. I'm immensely confused how the Liberty Bowl is less important than Penn State playing Maryland after they have already lost to OSU and Michigan.

They were in real danger of killing off what made CFB popular until common sense took hold and they expanded the playoffs.

The transfer portal needs to be after the season. This is no different than a pro finishing his year out knowing full well he won't be there the following year.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they now get paid to play. They need to play. It's called being an adult. The bowl season is part of the league year. I'm immensely confused how the Liberty Bowl is less important than Penn State playing Maryland after they have already lost to OSU and Michigan.

They were in real danger of killing off what made CFB popular until common sense took hold and they expanded the playoffs.

The transfer portal needs to be after the season. This is no different than a pro finishing his year out knowing full well he won't be there the following year.

From my perspective, these bowl games are like preseason NFL games. The NFL players are paid to play, but no one complains that the majority of them sit those games out.

It just is what college football has become. Many want these kids to play, but the fact of the matter is that even if they could force them to play, many would simply play not to get hurt.

You can either whine and complain about it, trying to find a way to force them to play, or just accept it and move on. The bowl games are a great prep time for the coach to practice and play his 2nd and 3rd string guys.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my perspective, these bowl games are like preseason NFL games. The NFL players are paid to play, but no one complains that the majority of them sit those games out.

It just is what college football has become. Many want these kids to play, but the fact of the matter is that even if they could force them to play, many would simply play not to get hurt.

You can either whine and complain about it, trying to find a way to force them to play, or just accept it and move on. The bowl games are a great prep time for the coach to practice and play his 2nd and 3rd string guys.

Like I said. Comparing bowl games to preseason games means we've managed to completely devalue what was once the bread and butter of the sport. Preseason games were always meaningless. Bowl games were not.

I give two fucks about coaches getting to play their bench. No fan does.

So I will say it yet again...the sport is/was in real danger of destroying itself. Only the playoffs can rescue it.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said. Comparing bowl games to preseason games means we've managed to completely devalue what was once the bread and butter of the sport. Preseason games were always meaningless. Bowl games were not.

I give two fucks about coaches getting to play their bench. No fan does.

So I will say it yet again...the sport is/was in real danger of destroying itself. Only the playoffs can rescue it.
I remember the days when the entire starting lineups played in multiple preseason games. So their value has changed as well.

It is hyperbole to claim the sport is in “real” danger of destroying itself. It’s never been more popular. It will continue to grow in popularity with the 12 team playoff. I’d bet my house on it.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the days when the entire starting lineups played in multiple preseason games. So their value has changed as well.

It is hyperbole to claim the sport is in “real” danger of destroying itself. It’s never been more popular. It will continue to grow in popularity with the 12 team playoff. I’d bet my house on it.

you comparing bowl games to preseason NFL games may be the most ludicrous take on this yet.

I've acknowledged the expanded playoffs will be huge. That is literally the only thing preventing the inevitable slip. How do you think FSU fans feel about CFB right now?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you comparing bowl games to preseason NFL games may be the most ludicrous take on this yet.

I've acknowledged the expanded playoffs will be huge. That is literally the only thing preventing the inevitable slip. How do you think FSU fans feel about CFB right now?
Again, things change. Wishing things were like the good ole days is a waste of time. It’s never going back to those days, and it’s never been more popular than now.

Also, I heard the Orange bowl was the most watched Orange bowl game in like 6-7 years. So it appears that if FSU fans weren’t watching, someone else was.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, things change. Wishing things were like the good ole days is a waste of time. It’s never going back to those days, and it’s never been more popular than now.

Also, I heard the Orange bowl was the most watched Orange bowl game in like 6-7 years. So it appears that if FSU fans weren’t watching, someone else was.

I'm simply calling out the momentum of the sport is extremely self destructive.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm simply calling out the momentum of the sport is extremely self destructive.

I guess I just don’t see it the same way. It’s been changing my entire life, and people always seem to complain about it, claiming it is destroying the sport.

I’ve got a feeling that people will be having these discussions decades from now.