• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Please say it isn't so

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much agree completely with SI's Scouting Report for Wentz

SI 50, No. 7: Scouting NDSU QB Carson Wentz

I think the kid will be one of the top QB's in the league within 3-4 years. Superior QB IQ, all the tools you want and is a tireless worker off the field. You look at most of the Rd 1 flops and you see a bunch of guys who didn't want to put in the work in the film room and thought that they could get by on pure ability or arm like they did in college. Wentz isn't that type of guy ... the only draw back with him is the level of comp, but again, it's not like he will be thrown into the fire Game 1 like Goff will be with the Rams. The Rams are moving into a new stadium/city ... have an excellent D with a premier type RB and would rather get the guy who's more accustomed to the pro speed of the game. I like Goff as well, but I think they are making a big mistake by passing up Wentz (assuming that's what they end up doing).

Of course not, Wentz couldn't even handle week one as Freshman in college against low level competition.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not buying giving up that much to sit a guy on the bench. Bradford more then likely will be traded.

Wentz can't start. If he starts he'll lock onto his number one receiver, have no clue where the 11 defenders are and freak out at the speed of it all.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlikely. He just did what he was "supposed" to. Which is take a chance on a QB. He should get fired if Wentz is good and the rest of the team is in shambles. Which is a possible scenario, and that's if we are lucky.

All the more reason to find that "head personnel guy" Lurie was clamoring about earlier this year so Howie doesn't mess up our mid-round draft picks moving forward :dance:

Think about it for a second - Howie has been average at best with his drafts; do you really trust him with more picks? This was a good opportunity to take a chance; I personally like Wentz enough to take that gamble.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AAAND....Josh Norman just became a free agent. Carolina rescinded his franchise tag and "Jeremiah Trotter'd" him.

Crazy Howie on line one?

I'd do it. Put him on Beckham both games every year. Gotta be more to that story though than they just didn't want to pay him.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue is people believing the franchise would be set back a number of years if this doesn't work out and that they are mortgaging the future

Honest question/honest answer time: what future are they mortgaging? It's not as if this team has been that good for the last number of years besides the off year when they win 10 games - you don't always want to take blind risks, but in this case, if they really believe that the QB they presumably take at two is their guy, then that's the deal they need to make - I would have been good at staying at eight and taking Zeke but if they really need a future QB then this is the time to do it since Sam Bradford has one year left with all intents and purposes - I know that some of the better QB's in the league weren't the highest of draft picks but the odds of finding a franchise QB in the later rounds is not very high - in a division like the NFC East, they will somehow win 6-7 games at the worst(best case 10)and that's even after "mortgaging" the future

This team has no future without a stud quarterback so I get the rationale in moving up - it's not something you want to do every year but if they are able to hit one out of the park on this pick then they don't have to do this every year and they can finally start to trade down more like the New England's of the world - it's easier to trade down when you already have a QB in place - unless you are severely lacking in talent like Cleveland, you shouldn't be trading down(unless you get a knockout deal) especially when you aren't in the top 10 of the draft that often like the Eagles

It doesn't mean that whoever they take at two(QB it looks like) will be a stud for them but the rewards that come with the risk are very high

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd do it. Put him on Beckham both games every year. Gotta be more to that story though than they just didn't want to pay him.
Josh Norman is a Zone CB. He would fail here just like Nmandi and Byron Maxwell.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz can't start. If he starts he'll lock onto his number one receiver, have no clue where the 11 defenders are and freak out at the speed of it all.

Yeah but Pederson has his guy in Chase. He can start. I think with Bradford there it's going to cause a lot of drama in the locker room. They need to trade him asap imo. One thing this trade also did was help out the Cowboys and the Giants for sure. The cowboys will probably be picking the first defensive player off the board. And another solid starter will fall to the Giants.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard this too, how is that possible unless you guys aren't taking a QB at #2? Seems like a really odd statement for a GM in his position unless QB is not the pick...Or he's just trying to be a wiseass lol...

Tunsil!! Pederson and Howie did some sort of wink, nod, laugh thing at a press conference a few days ago when asked about Tunsil.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He seemed to handle the speed of the game just fine all of Senior Bowl week and that was against selected cream of the crop guys in college ... the kid has a great head for the game. Sure he'll have an adjustment period like any other rookie, but I think he'll be just fine.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tunsil!! Pederson and Howie did some sort of wink, nod, laugh thing at a press conference a few days ago when asked about Tunsil.

There is no way they traded up to get the #2 pick to draft an Offensive lineman. They would be one of the dumbest things ever. Teams only trade up like we did to get a QB. I can't think of a single team that has ever made a trade of this magnitude to get an offensive lineman. It is always a QB unless you count the stupid trade Ditka did to get Ricky Williams

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seemed to handle the speed of the game just fine all of Senior Bowl week and that was against selected cream of the crop guys in college ... the kid has a great head for the game. Sure he'll have an adjustment period like any other rookie, but I think he'll be just fine.

Sure senior bowl players are faster than what he was used to (that's not saying much) but they were playing alongside all new guys, doing new things. Not nearly the same game speed as regular college games, which is still a huge step down from the NFL.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles will play plenty of zone under Schwartz.

And we have experience with two separate players as proof that you do not need Revis if you are playing zone defenses. Josh Norman is not worth the money.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way they traded up to get the #2 pick to draft an Offensive lineman. They would be one of the dumbest things ever. Teams only trade up like we did to get a QB. I can't think of a single team that has ever made a trade of this magnitude to get an offensive lineman. It is always a QB unless you count the stupid trade Ditka did to get Ricky Williams

Andy made great use of having bookend tackles to start his tenure here.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we have experience with two separate players as proof that you do not need Revis if you are playing zone defenses. Josh Norman is not worth the money.

Probably not but we'll have to get good players from somewhere.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well the Rams did back in the 90's to get the #1 pick Orlando Pace and he's in the HOF now, so you never know...

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Rams did back in the 90's to get the #1 pick Orlando Pace and he's in the HOF now, so you never know...

Good point.....I do remember that Pace was touted as a sure fire stud. He lived up to it. No offensive lineman in this draft is being touted like that if I am not mistaken.

Here are the trade paramaters: Traded 1997 first round pick 1997 first round pick (#6-Walter Jones), 1997 third round pick (#67-Dan Neil), 1997 fourth round pick (#102-Terry Day), 1997 seventh round pick (#207-Koy Detmer) to Jets for 1997 first round pick (#1-Orlando Pace) on 1997-04-17

That is far less than what we gave up.