• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Please say it isn't so

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Rey, Chase stays to mentor Carson in the WCO. I predict that Bradford goes by the end of the season, or before.

Since the Eagles already paid him the 5.5 pro rated signing bonus for this season ... I think if we trade him, the team who trades for him is only on the hook for his 7 mil base salary number. That's got to be pretty attractive to a team like the Jets considering Ryan Fitzpatrick is seeking around 15 mil per year.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016 picks to build a team round the QB - one 3rd rounder
2017 picks to build a team around the QB - one 2nd rounder
2018 picks to build a team around the QB - one 1st and one 3rd

Over the course of 3 years we will have as many top picks as the good teams generally have in 1 year. And by the time Wentz develops all of our current players will be moving out of their prime. We'll have zero safeties, zero Dlinemen, 1/5 Oline.

Basically the team is trying to win the Super Bowl with Wentz, Matthews, Johnson, Rowe and Hicks as the only core players.

Which "Johnson"?

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Eagles already paid him the 5.5 pro rated signing bonus for this season ... I think if we trade him, the team who trades for him is only on the hook for his 7 mil base salary number. That's got to be pretty attractive to a team like the Jets considering Ryan Fitzpatrick is seeking around 15 mil per year.

You may be correct, but I think Howie is creative enough to get what he wants.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Wentz is such an elite prospect and seemingly better than Goff, why wouldn't the Rams take him?

Goff is more NFL ready than Wentz. Wentz has more upside, plus is a bigger name in LA.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again the Redskins fans kept trying to do this. You gave up 2 #1's, one next year and the one you will be spending to acquire this player.

Exactly. We swapped picks, plus a 2, e and 4, spread over 3 Yeats. It's a steal.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol at Howie Roseman ... "Do you know who the Rams are taking?" Howie "No" ... "How sure are you that you are going to get the player you want?" Howie "we're very sure we're going to get the player we want."

Yes, and also just connect the dots. We're getting Wentz.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like the Browns also wanted Goff, but they also realized that the Rams were taking him at 1 which made it easier to make that #2 pick available. Goff makes sense for teams who want a starter off the jump ... we on the other hand would be fine with sitting the QB we take for a year. Most teams who take a QB in the top 5 is to start him as soon as possible in his first season ... we're the exception.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may be alone on this Wingman ... but I'm with you. I have no problem at all with the move. I even started a thread around two weeks ago saying "gun to my head, we trade up for Wentz".

Don't forget about me ;)

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was an obvious move for me. The rams did us a favor by moving up to #1, to whoever says we got fleeced that's pretty ridiculous. This is a good and fair price to pay for a chance at a franchise QB.

All you guys who wanted to win with Sam Bradford crack me up, if all you want to do is stay relative and be in the mix -- sure roll with Bradford and make a few playoff appearances here and there. He's not taking you to the big show, and he's sure to win meaningless games to put you in the middle of the draft every year. If you want a shot to be a contender, you have to take a chance on a franchise QB. Nothing is certain with prospects, no one is saying that, but I will tell you what is certain; winning a Super Bowl without a franchise QB is damn near impossible. Don't even mention the Broncos, because building a defense that elite is just as hard as finding a franchise QB. You also can't keep a defense like that together for too long because of so many individual contracts. Broncos lost a bunch of key defensive players and are now rolling with Sanchez as their starter, for now.

I've been hoping all this time the Rams take Goff so we could get Wentz for a more affordable price, and this is so close to becoming a reality. I'm fucking PUMPED!!!! Drinks on me fellas!! :suds:

PS Can we please trade Sam Bradford!? Start Chase for the first year, and let (hopefully) Wentz start in 2017.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was a great trade for us. Only gave up 1 first rounder to get the #2 pick??? The rest of the compensation spread out over 3 years???

Yes and Yes

EKA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you know what the going rates are to move up that high. Besides swapping firsts, we're giving up a second, first and a third, spread over three years.
No, i understand. Its why i didnt want them to do the deal. Too many holes to fill and now, minimal top round picks to do it. I dont think you realize the holes they have.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, i understand. Its why i didnt want them to do the deal. Too many holes to fill and now, minimal top round picks to do it. I dont think you realize the holes they have.

True, but you can patch all the holes you want, if you don't have a QB you can't win consistently. STL can use all those picks from RGIII, but if their QB's can play, they will keep winning 7 games a year until those guys hit FA and want out.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but you can patch all the holes you want, if you don't have a QB you can't win consistently. STL can use all those picks from RGIII, but if their QB's can play, they will keep winning 7 games a year until those guys hit FA and want out.

Exactly. Which I was all in on the RGIII trade up. A good QB changes everything for a franchise. You just better hope to God he is in fact going to be a good QB. History tells us....well you know the history of QBs drafted early.

The argument about what you gave up cracks me up. The question is what did you pay to move into this position? The only answer is a package that includes two number 1 picks.

The real upside to this trade for you guys is you can now tell your wife that you can take that trip to the cabin in the Poconos next weekend.. The one with no tv or internet. You can leave on Thursday for a long off the grid weekend because you won't be missing anything. :)

Last edited:

Frizzle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with wings, old duke and a few others.

We couldn't do much at all with Sam Bradford... The kid has had a decent amount of time in the league and yet hasn't shown us anything that he is indeed a QB who can lead a team deep into the playoffs let a lone a Super Bowl.

It is interesting to note that Goff and Wentz both have the same agent. I am sure the Eagles know who they are getting but due to the NFL wanting drama they have to keep it behind closed doors.

I wouldn't be so concerned about Cleveland willing to trade away the number 2 spot, they have done a dismal job in the past of selecting talent in the 1st round. Their off season needs are a QB, WR, DL, and LB. The FO has changed to more of a statistic driven bias which would mean Cleveland would be more willing to fill in their gaps with more picks in the draft then holding on to the number 2 spot if they think the QB they might have wanted wasn't going to be there.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be nice to think there is some, but not in the NFL and certainly not with Fisher(Remember all the lies of his before the RGIII trade?) lol...But seriously, the Rams are still holding private workouts with both QBs, so I don't even think a final decision has been made to tell anyone for sure...

I'm pretty sure Roseman would have been a lot more apprehensive to make this deal, maybe not at all, if he didn't do some research and find out who the Rams are taking. They have not been shy about liking Wentz more than anyone else in the draft, to trade up to #2 and just settle for whomever the Rams don't take would be stupid. Roseman has not made any stupid moves this offseason, everything he's done to this point as been meticulously calculated; no reason to think that this move wasn't approached the same way.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relax northern, Howie was assured that the rams are taking goff.

It wasn't until I got home and watched one of the NFL Network's reporters (who was fairly adamant in his report) say that Howie would not have made this move unless he got some assurances as to who the Rams were going to take, so I think you're right - The Birds have made it no secret that they prefer Wentz to anyone else in this draft, that's the guy they are likely to end up with.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Goff is the most NFL QB in the draft. The Rams are desperate for a QB to come in and start away. Wentz has the most upside but is not ready to start right away.

If Goff is further ahead now he will always be further ahead. Just how Russell Wilson was always ahead of Robert Griffin and Ryan Tannehill. And Russell Wilson even has a limiting factor in his size. Those other guys still couldn't catch up. There is no "catching up." Goff starting from day one will have just as much chance to learn everything about NFL defenses as he can and both guys can throw it. Wentz's special ability appears to be that he's 6'5. Ever seen a failed 6'5 QB? I have.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was a great trade for us. Only gave up 1 first rounder to get the #2 pick??? The rest of the compensation spread out over 3 years???

Yes and Yes

Technically the Eagles gave up Maxwell and Alonso in the deal too.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To trade up to a spot to take a QB where there is no guarantee he will be franchise guy? That not everyone unanimously says he will end up a franchise QB? A move like that does take balls. If this doesn't work, Howie is unemployed. I promise you that.

Unlikely. He just did what he was "supposed" to. Which is take a chance on a QB. He should get fired if Wentz is good and the rest of the team is in shambles. Which is a possible scenario, and that's if we are lucky.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Goff is further ahead now he will always be further ahead. Just how Russell Wilson was always ahead of Robert Griffin and Ryan Tannehill. And Russell Wilson even has a limiting factor in his size. Those other guys still couldn't catch up. There is no "catching up." Goff starting from day one will have just as much chance to learn everything about NFL defenses as he can and both guys can throw it. Wentz's special ability appears to be that he's 6'5. Ever seen a failed 6'5 QB? I have.

Have some faith E-Nut - He is coming into a situation that is as ideal as you would want it to be if your team is drafting a top-ranked QB prospect; they don't have to throw this guy to the wolves like so many other teams have in the past and destroy whatever chance they have to be good. There's something about this guy I think he will be very good down the line, we just have to be patient with him. 1-2 years of mediocrity could equal 10-15 years of grace.