• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Please, no more CK7 vs. Smith debates

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Jim Harbaugh has been itching for the switch all season long. Remember, Kaepernick has been in taking plays with the "WildKaep" for several snaps into the Giants game. In fact, only when it was apparent that doing so was screwing up drives (as EVERY Wildcat play does, btw) did he stop. The problem was Alex was playing so well that Jim would look foolhardy to put Colin in. This was Harbaugh's shot to get his guy in there.

When you see Colin play - the guy looks like Randall Cunningham - you get it.

It sure has been nice to watch blowouts, btw.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmm...

...weren't most of you screaming outloud that Smith should get his job back?

Why the wholesale change in heart?

A few reasons, I believe.

Depending on when the "screaming" you were referring happened, it could have been people feeling like the Bears defense was too much, that the Saints used disguised looks, that Kaep was inexperienced or unready, etc. Since then, Kaep has shown that he's ready and is better than he was in preseason/training camp. Before and after this showing, people's minds change.

As for after that, Harbaugh has now chosen him over Smith (when Harbaugh had previously chosen Smith over Kaep in preseason). Before and after this vote of confidence by the QB guru, people's minds changed. If Harbaugh thinks that, go with the coach.

It was never whether Kaep was more physically capable or mentally gungho about taking risks, but rather whether he could be careful with the ball too and have Harbaugh's belief in being ready. These things happened, people changed their minds.

People have been getting louder about their discomfort with Smith; case in point, after the 34-0 win against the Jets, people were upset. Kaep showed things that Smith didn't without the disadvantages (pre-snap reads, running too often, inaccuracies, etc.).

As to me, I differed from you in that I think our defense and coaching are good enough that we could have won with Smith. We're not going to change our minds on that and now we'll likely never see, so let's let that be. But Kaep makes it more likely and easier (though nothing's easy in the NFL). That, I think we can agree with.

I was always ok with Smith being replaced if it was when Smith was playing his best and someone was legitimately better. I didn't like the Troy Smith experience. If Smith played poorly and Kaep the better replaced him, I'd be happy we had Kaep but upset with all the wasted time with a struggling Smith (talking about this season only). I feel we won with Smith playing well for himself and Kaep is better. Win-win for me.

I think the Kaep we saw against the Bears and Saints would have beaten the Rams (not tied) and I think Smith would have, too (if not injured). Either QB should have beaten the Vikings, but the win over the Packers was enough of a question mark with Kaep back then (Harbaugh didn't deem Kaep ready or better then), that I think we'd have the same record with either QB (between the Vikings and Packers game, both would have 1 win). Going forward, Kaep's the better choice.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I forgot to add, a lot of people value experience over skills, don't know why, but they do. Jerry Rice said and backed up his claim that Smith should start. Davis thought he should/would (he panders to the QB, kisses up), Walker thought it was going to be Smith (but probably wanted Kaep), etc.

I know your question was largely rhetorical, but I answered it in verse, but another reason is rooting for the underdog, loyalty, emoitional reasons, and being in that position before. Some believe in the "you can't lose your job due to injury."

Why the change from all of this?

In the end, we all want to win and that trumps the above. That, and we can't do anything about it and some want to ride the gravy train. We're Niner fans first and foremost, all less experienced than Harbaugh. To those who were screaming, that's why. Me? I just tried to shut up and watch because I like Smith but know Kaep is better.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have I ended the thread, yet? :)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmm...

...weren't most of you screaming outloud that Smith should get his job back?

Why the wholesale change in heart?

Because Smith hasn't been given a fair chance at being a true starting QB and it is just not fair Damn-it! - It is just not fair!!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Smith hasn't been given a fair chance at being a true starting QB and it is just not fair Damn-it! - It is just not fair!!

Not about our Alex, but oh so fitting:

:loco:

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thumbeldore+rolls+518+599+297+dafuq+did+I+just+watch+_469553abe6757e285938e500aa1e7d31.jpg

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

ROTFLMMFFAO!!!! This is the funniest sh8 EVER!!

Not sure why you waited this long to post it. I would have posted this back in 2005 had I known it existed. This is classic!

BTW, she must have been referring to Alex Jones (Illuminati Puppet). Not our very own Alex Smith.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Alex: ""I feel like the only thing I did to lose my job was get a concussion," Smith said."

I feel like you sucked out loud against the Giants (twice) when it realy mattered because you can't throw the ball further than 5 yards.

Some people just can't be objective about themselves.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point Toby I think it sends the wrong message to the team to go back to Alex unless Kaep gets hurt or really just plays awful. I mean like Mark Sanchez awful.....

I don't think Alex should have lost his starting job no matter how well Kaep was playing. I think Alex should have been named the starter again and had to have played himself out of the starting role. However now that it's clear the team wants to go with Kaep they have to stick with it.

I'm sure the locker room is already divided a bit over feeling bad for Alex. Harbaugh can't flip flop on his decision or that divide will grow bigger.

smith did play himself out of the role. kap is playing better.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This sounds like a dumb idea, but posting it anyway. I know Grantland because of Bill Simmons TMQ, but am not familiar with Bill Barnwell's stuff. So skip if he's not worth reading.

Fourth and Short: Niners Could Use a Closer QB - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

I'm not sure what the TMQ connection is to Grantland, but the closer idea is a bad one. The reason for a closer in baseball is the same as the reason teams have 5 starters: fatigue. If it were possible for the Mariners to just throw King Felix (chose the AL for a reason Giants' fans) out there every day for 9+ without his performance being affected by fatigue/exhaustion, they would. Unfortunately, that isn't possible. In theory, your starting QB is the best QB on the roster. I don't see any way for a team to benefit from benching their best player at any position late in a game unless there are fatigue/injury issues in play.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smith did play himself out of the role. kap is playing better.

That's highly debatable.

Kaep has played 2 games and done really well
Alex had 9 and half and was one of the highest rated QB's

Kaep is a more explosive player no doubt about it, and that is why Harbaugh is going with him. I don't think it has much to do with Alex playing himself out of the role. When you're the 5th highest rated QB in the league it's a bit hard to say you're having a bad year.

Would Kaep if he had been the starter all season be 5th rated or higher? I don't know. I think the answer is more the 49ers don't care. They think he is at least good enough to probably be top 10 and his big plays will make up the difference in turnovers and completion percentage.

To say Alex played himself out of the role though when his numbers for his last 2 games were about as close to perfect as any QB is likely to ever get is misleading. Kaep is the starter because he adds a different dimension to the offense that Harbaugh thinks will make this team better.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what the TMQ connection is to Grantland, but the closer idea is a bad one. The reason for a closer in baseball is the same as the reason teams have 5 starters: fatigue. If it were possible for the Mariners to just throw King Felix (chose the AL for a reason Giants' fans) out there every day for 9+ without his performance being affected by fatigue/exhaustion, they would. Unfortunately, that isn't possible. In theory, your starting QB is the best QB on the roster. I don't see any way for a team to benefit from benching their best player at any position late in a game unless there are fatigue/injury issues in play.

Simmons is now a featured writer for Grantland and Simmons does TMQ, but I'm not familiar with it, so I was putting a disclaimer on the source, and yes, I think it's a bad idea.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex: ""I feel like the only thing I did to lose my job was get a concussion," Smith said."

I feel like you sucked out loud against the Giants (twice) when it realy mattered because you can't throw the ball further than 5 yards.

Some people just can't be objective about themselves.

People say that Smith isn't confident in his abilities. I'd rather have him be less objective if it means that he's more confident in the case that Kaep gets injured. Once he's cut, then he can be objective. ;) I do agree that Smith's limitations and reluctance to throw farther passes is what got him benched, but I think he was playing well for himself and I want him to be confident with himself right now until he's cut.

If anything, rather than putdown himself and his abilities like people who mock his responses do, he should re-evaluate what risks he needs to take to make this offense more dynamic than it was under him, in case Kaep gets injured. I think he really bought into the team winning thing, keep turnovers to a minimum, control the clock, yards don't matter, get points on the board (even if FGs), etc. That's good against non-playoff teams and while he wouldn't have to become a gunslinger to beat playoff teams, he can't be so hesitant.

Of course, physical abilities separate Kaep and Smith, but if the coaching staff built a good gameplan, Smith were more assertive, the defense as great, no special teams fumbles, etc., we could have won this year with him. If Kaep gets injured, Smith needs to learn to be more assertive, as he's not going to change his physical abilities. He won't change his colors, but modification is possible.