• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Please, no more CK7 vs. Smith debates

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's highly debatable.

Kaep has played 2 games and done really well
Alex had 9 and half and was one of the highest rated QB's

Kaep is a more explosive player no doubt about it, and that is why Harbaugh is going with him. I don't think it has much to do with Alex playing himself out of the role. When you're the 5th highest rated QB in the league it's a bit hard to say you're having a bad year.

Would Kaep if he had been the starter all season be 5th rated or higher? I don't know. I think the answer is more the 49ers don't care. They think he is at least good enough to probably be top 10 and his big plays will make up the difference in turnovers and completion percentage.

To say Alex played himself out of the role though when his numbers for his last 2 games were about as close to perfect as any QB is likely to ever get is misleading. Kaep is the starter because he adds a different dimension to the offense that Harbaugh thinks will make this team better.

You put so much emphases on a rating that is pretty meaningless. It's a rating that doesn't include plays left out on the field - and doesn't measure contribution in totality.

I wouldn't say Alex Smith played himself out of a job, but I don't know think he played well enough to keep it.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to start a Kap v Smith debate, but I can't help but notice that Kapernick has that innate ability to sense pressure escape and potentially make a play.

Is he the real deal? I'm sure there will be some growing pains and teams will adjust to his play, but it's not like he is making plays with smoke and mirrors. We are running our offense and Kapernick is making the correct reads and has the ability to make the throw to win the down. The difference between Smith and Kapernick might be 3 or 4 plays per game, but those 3 or 4 plays have been game breakers. I.E. the 3rd down throw down the seam the Walker vs the Saints.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's highly debatable.

Kaep has played 2 games and done really well
Alex had 9 and half and was one of the highest rated QB's

Kaep is a more explosive player no doubt about it, and that is why Harbaugh is going with him. I don't think it has much to do with Alex playing himself out of the role. When you're the 5th highest rated QB in the league it's a bit hard to say you're having a bad year.

Would Kaep if he had been the starter all season be 5th rated or higher? I don't know. I think the answer is more the 49ers don't care. They think he is at least good enough to probably be top 10 and his big plays will make up the difference in turnovers and completion percentage.

To say Alex played himself out of the role though when his numbers for his last 2 games were about as close to perfect as any QB is likely to ever get is misleading. Kaep is the starter because he adds a different dimension to the offense that Harbaugh thinks will make this team better.

kap so far is right there rating wise. kap gives us more playmaking ability and he's not turning the ball over as of yet.

smith has been super efficient, but don't forget his numbers wouldn't look as good if he didn't eat sacks instead of throwing the ball away. 70% and 8 ypa is great, but kap is still putting up 64% and 9.2 ypa. kap just overal gives us a qb who can do the things smith can do, but he has the arm and legs that smith doesn't have.

a lot of ppl on this board have been overly critical of smith who is having a fine season and seemed to be hitting on all cylinders. but there's just something special about kap. the improvement that he's shown since preseason is amazing.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading that Kaep just wasn't that accurate in camp, completely unlike what he showed in the last 3 games, and he worked at it and Harbaugh worked on it with him.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to start a Kap v Smith debate, but I can't help but notice that Kapernick has that innate ability to sense pressure escape and potentially make a play.
Is he the real deal? I'm sure there will be some growing pains and teams will adjust to his play, but it's not like he is making plays with smoke and mirrors. We are running our offense and Kapernick is making the correct reads and has the ability to make the throw to win the down. The difference between Smith and Kapernick might be 3 or 4 plays per game, but those 3 or 4 plays have been game breakers. I.E. the 3rd down throw down the seam the Walker vs the Saints.

To me, that's the biggest difference between the two. The other differences between them you can game plan for, that one you cannot.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not going to go bananas over two games. But kap has looked very good and I am looking forward to see if he can keep his play up possibly elevate it.

Anybody else think Harbs is still going game to game on the qbs? Still seems he is playing the week to week card.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not going to go bananas over two games. But kap has looked very good and I am looking forward to see if he can keep his play up possibly elevate it.

Anybody else think Harbs is still going game to game on the qbs? Still seems he is playing the week to week card.

He's an idiot if he is. He has given the job to Kaepernick and he should stick with him unless he plays poorly and he thinks Smith is now the better option.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, that's the biggest difference between the two. The other differences between them you can game plan for, that one you cannot.

Exactly. That innate ability to sense pressure is difficult to prepare for, because the defense can have the perfect pressure play called and Kaep's escapability
can trump it. That kind of thing is very frustrating for opposing defenders and defensive coordinators.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I feel like you sucked out loud against the Giants (twice) when it realy mattered because you can't throw the ball further than 5 yards.

Some people just can't be objective about themselves.

Always funny when people misspell elementary words when ripping other people.

Past that, idiotic post. Lots of QBs have sucked in certain games and not lost jobs over it. Lots of QBs have sucked in NFC championship games against top defenses and not lost their job over it.

The way a lot of you guys can't stop patting yourselves on the back over this QB switch is pretty nauseating.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kap so far is right there rating wise. kap gives us more playmaking ability and he's not turning the ball over as of yet.

smith has been super efficient, but don't forget his numbers wouldn't look as good if he didn't eat sacks instead of throwing the ball away. 70% and 8 ypa is great, but kap is still putting up 64% and 9.2 ypa. kap just overal gives us a qb who can do the things smith can do, but he has the arm and legs that smith doesn't have.

a lot of ppl on this board have been overly critical of smith who is having a fine season and seemed to be hitting on all cylinders. but there's just something special about kap. the improvement that he's shown since preseason is amazing.

"a lot of ppl on this board have been overly critical of smith who is having a fine season and seemed to be hitting on all cylinders...but there's just something special about kap."

Wrong.

The correct way to observe this phenomena is to say a lot of people have been fairly and accurately critical of Smith's deficiencies as a QB despite his having an inflated QB rating, which, those like yourself cling to as if were the star witness in a QB talent trial.

You were completely wrong about Alex, and now you are trying to over-compensate by knob gobbling and drooling over Kap - Look fi, there is nothing special about Kap - he is simply a QB with the skills to play in today's NFL; you are just seeing the difference and thinking it is special.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Don't pull a muscle, bem. Smith isn't fit to mow your lawn, but only you and a few other geniuses recognized it before Harbaugh made the move.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. That innate ability to sense pressure is difficult to prepare for, because the defense can have the perfect pressure play called and Kaep's escapability
can trump it. That kind of thing is very frustrating for opposing defenders and defensive coordinators.

Mixed messages in switch to Colin Kaepernick - ESPN

Sando wrote up an interesting thing about that... the difference between yards per attempt and throwaway percentage is just astounding.

2012 Niners QBs Under Duress
QB............ ...... Smith ........ Kaepernick
Pct. of attempts... 8.8 ........ 23.0
Comp.-att.-..... ... 4-19........ 9-17
Yards/att.-...... ... 1.2 ......... 8.0
Throwaway pct. -. 42.1 ... 17.7
Total QBR -............17.4 ...... 73.5

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"a lot of ppl on this board have been overly critical of smith who is having a fine season and seemed to be hitting on all cylinders...but there's just something special about kap."

Wrong.

The correct way to observe this phenomena is to say a lot of people have been fairly and accurately critical of Smith's deficiencies as a QB despite his having an inflated QB rating, which, those like yourself cling to as if were the star witness in a QB talent trial.

You were completely wrong about Alex, and now you are trying to over-compensate by knob gobbling and drooling over Kap - Look fi, there is nothing special about Kap - he is simply a QB with the skills to play in today's NFL; you are just seeing the difference and thinking it is special.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha! That one cracked me up. I'm gonna use it on some other poor unsuspecting soul!

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wrong.

i never talked about smith's rating. he's leading the league in % and has an 8ypa. those numbers also factor in times that he played injured. so don't give me smith wasn't playing well. the offense was still improving before the qb switch was made.

and i was 100% right about alex smith. he was out best option over the past 3 seasons. smith's improved play shows that i was right.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
he's leading the league in % and has an 8ypa.

Bah, what are you trying to prove with those stupid numbers. Its about the it factor and eye test, not production.

They want it both ways, give him the blame when the system is bad and he sucks, give him no credit when the system is great and he thrives.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the very least Kaepernick gave the 49ers a much-needed spark for a few games, at best he becomes the next big-name 49er quarterback.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Mixed messages in switch to Colin Kaepernick - ESPN

Sando wrote up an interesting thing about that... the difference between yards per attempt and throwaway percentage is just astounding.

2012 Niners QBs Under Duress
QB............ ...... Smith ........ Kaepernick
Pct. of attempts... 8.8 ........ 23.0
Comp.-att.-..... ... 4-19........ 9-17
Yards/att.-...... ... 1.2 ......... 8.0
Throwaway pct. -. 42.1 ... 17.7
Total QBR -............17.4 ...... 73.5

Love it when someone proves my theory with stats!!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Smith is a great ideal situation Quarterback.

When everything is going to plan then he's sharp and looks great out there.

The problem comes when things break down and don't go according to plan and that's where he struggles badly and becomes a liability.

I don't want to take anything away from Smith because while the defense and running game have been major reasons we've been successful his play was still part of that success and it's not like we were winning despite him or anything.

But the reality is when you play top teams especially in the playoffs you have to be able to perform when things breakdown and aren't going according to plan. CK is just better in those kind of situations because he has a better feel for pressure and has the ability to avoid it all the while looking to make a play.