• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Partrick Kane being investigated for r*pe - Update - No charges to be filed, case closed

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What good is fixing the cap if you suck after you do it?

Do you really think that Chicago would collapse if Kane left? I don't.

I'd assume they'd want a pretty decent roster player as part of any package coming back. They'd also have cap space to improve.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Doug Gilmour found a team in Calgary after some sexual assault allegations with a minor in St. Louis came to light. Make no mistake, there would be plenty of teams interested in Patrick Kane.
a different time. Dan Quinn had some allegations that didn't seem to slow him down either.
apparently some dude on the Penguins named Mario was in the room as well. His career went on, too.
Witnesses Say Penguins' Lemieux Was Present During Alleged r*pe

Hell, not many people remember that Craig McTavish spent a year in jail for killing a girl and still found a new team when he got out.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd assume they'd want a pretty decent roster player as part of any package coming back. They'd also have cap space to improve.
Maybe if they were able to pull off a trade like Hossa for Heatley that is as close to even of a move of two superstars that you can find, but I don't think anybody is doing that for Kane given the risk and the fact he's got 8 years left at huge money.

Today, you're almost guaranteed to lose any trade where you're trading a superstar. That's why they voluntarily dumped quality elsewhere (Saad in particular) in order to keep Kane to begin with.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

P Kane for E Kane E4 Book it.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if they were able to pull off a trade like Hossa for Heatley that is as close to even of a move of two superstars that you can find, but I don't think anybody is doing that for Kane given the risk and the fact he's got 8 years left at huge money.

Today, you're almost guaranteed to lose any trade where you're trading a superstar. That's why they voluntarily dumped quality elsewhere (Saad in particular) in order to keep Kane to begin with.

I don't see a Heatley for Hossa type thing but I'd be pretty surprised if Kane (without any criminal convictions) didn't fetch at least a James Kneel type of return (Hornqvist and Spaling). That type of trade wouldn't devastate the Hawks, IMO.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see a Heatley for Hossa type thing but I'd be pretty surprised if Kane (without any criminal convictions) didn't fetch at least a James Kneel type of return (Hornqvist and Spaling). That type of trade wouldn't devastate the Hawks, IMO.
Wouldn't devastate, but minus Kane and with Saad gone, Hossa aging and the cap savings likely to be spent on re-upping Seabrook, Hawks probably don't have the goals to be a contender anymore.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't devastate, but minus Kane and with Saad gone, Hossa aging and the cap savings likely to be spent on re-upping Seabrook, Hawks probably don't have the goals to be a contender anymore.

I tend to agree with this. Their blue line would certainly help, but no way Toews can carry a team alone. Honestly, in this NHL, unless you're prime Gretz, you can't do it alone up front. The Hawks have to be royally ticked with Kane. I mean, his comments at the Cup parade, shortly followed by the allegations...all this after they basically decided that Kane/Toews are the team, and sold other assets. He put them in a horrible situation. I'm sure they don't really want to deal with him anymore, but they're not dealing from a position of strength. Any trade that happens, the GM on the other end has to know that these are "damaged goods" and a PR nightmare. Not that GMs make decisions solely on this, but they sure will use it as leverage. Hell, guys with zero actual off ice issues don't get the kind of return one would expect. Do you think the Hawks would be happy with a Kessel return? Kane is a year younger and slightly more productive than Phil, with multiple rings and the whole "clutch" reputation. But I doubt that as it stands they get that kind of return.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with this. Their blue line would certainly help, but no way Toews can carry a team alone. Honestly, in this NHL, unless you're prime Gretz, you can't do it alone up front. The Hawks have to be royally ticked with Kane. I mean, his comments at the Cup parade, shortly followed by the allegations...all this after they basically decided that Kane/Toews are the team, and sold other assets. He put them in a horrible situation. I'm sure they don't really want to deal with him anymore, but they're not dealing from a position of strength. Any trade that happens, the GM on the other end has to know that these are "damaged goods" and a PR nightmare. Not that GMs make decisions solely on this, but they sure will use it as leverage. Hell, guys with zero actual off ice issues don't get the kind of return one would expect. Do you think the Hawks would be happy with a Kessel return? Kane is a year younger and slightly more productive than Phil, with multiple rings and the whole "clutch" reputation. But I doubt that as it stands they get that kind of return.
Kessel was my immediate thought, but Pit should be happy with Phil. In my mind (and I think Dragon said this once before), Phil was Kane without a Toews. Now he's got a Crosby, and he comes $3.5 million cheaper.

Assuming it would have to be a team in the East, only teams I can think of with the assets and cap space to get it done would be the Isles, Panthers and Sens (I'm still shocked the Isles weren't in on Kessel, but...).

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kessel was my immediate thought, but Pit should be happy with Phil. In my mind (and I think Dragon said this once before), Phil was Kane without a Toews. Now he's got a Crosby, and he comes $3.5 million cheaper.

Assuming it would have to be a team in the East, only teams I can think of with the assets and cap space to get it done would be the Isles, Panthers and Sens (I'm still shocked the Isles weren't in on Kessel, but...).

Isles, Panthers, and Sabres are some of the ones I suspected during that whole "five teams called" rumor. As motivated as Chicago may end up being to move him, I'm just not sure they'll do it for something like what the Leafs got. And would a team like Chicago be willing to hold salary? Highly doubt that.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isles, Panthers, and Sabres are some of the ones I suspected during that whole "five teams called" rumor. As motivated as Chicago may end up being to move him, I'm just not sure they'll do it for something like what the Leafs got. And would a team like Chicago be willing to hold salary? Highly doubt that.
I mean, I could see the Sabres obviously but I feel like at this juncture they have to be smarter than to bring him to ground zero.

And no, Chicago would not even think about retaining salary or moving him for a deal like the one the Leafs made for Kessel. That would be insane.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it is obviously hindsight but man I wish the hawks traded kane to buffalo for the number 2 pick back in june. resign saad, have extra cap space, and have a young superstar in eichel

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is obviously hindsight but man I wish the hawks traded kane to buffalo for the number 2 pick back in june. resign saad, have extra cap space, and have a young superstar in eichel

Is there any reason to think that there was any talk about this happening and/or that the Sabres would have done it? And I've gonna say right now, "I read about it on hfboards" isn't gonna cut it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any reason to think that there was any talk about this happening and/or that the Sabres would have done it? And I've gonna say right now, "I read about it on hfboards" isn't gonna cut it.
Or that Kane would've accepted a trade to the second-worst team in the league.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more frustration that even that sort of opportunity is out the window with off ice issues. There were never rumors that I saw, but that's because the Hawks didn't chose to go that way...but I do tend to wonder what they would've gotten if they did choose to keep Saad instead, and traded Kane before his value tanked.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just put the kibosh on something now - even if this were to wind up in a courtroom, Kane's value hasn't tanked. Kane just scored 23 points in a Stanley Cup run. He's 26 years old. The risk factor may lessen any potential return but the return would still need to be massive, like next 3 first rounders plus roster pieces massive.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's just put the kibosh on something now - even if this were to wind up in a courtroom, Kane's value hasn't tanked. Kane just scored 23 points in a Stanley Cup run. He's 26 years old. The risk factor may lessen any potential return but the return would still need to be massive, like next 3 first rounders plus roster pieces massive.

Yup - For instance, if Kane was traded to the Flames, you know a package going back would include Johnny Hockey plus Sam Bennett plus fill in the blank. Um, no thanks.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While I agree with you that Kane's trade value is still significant right now, I think you are probably overestimating the return. Remember what Pittsburgh gave up to get Kessel?

The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired Phil Kessel from the Toronto Maple Leafs, along with Tyler Biggs and defenseman Tim Erixon in exchange for Kasperi Kapanen, Nick Spaling, Scott Harrington and a 2016 third-round draft pick previously acquired from New Jersey, as well as a complicated scenario in which other picks will change hands.

And you said yourself:

Phil was Kane without a Toews.

If Kane gets no jail time and the Hawks want to cut bait, they will fetch a significant bounty for him. If Kane's gotta rot in jail for any significant duration, they could be getting less than what Toronto got for Kessel.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:thumb:

Or that Kane would've accepted a trade to the second-worst team in the league.

The lure of being at "home" where 16 year old girls are routinely let into bars? Every player is motivated by different things.