• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Partrick Kane being investigated for r*pe - Update - No charges to be filed, case closed

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we'll never know, although after the mom incident it seemed fishy at best

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few months of being called everything in the book , being betrayed by your mom and vilified by two cities might just make someone decide to give up.

I know women who have been raped but gave up on pressing charges because the person who did it was a friend of their family. It is incomprehensible to me what this woman has been through.

Another successful trial by media.

Unfortunately, this will be another case that reinforces the stigma against reporting cases of r*pe. I say unfortunately regardless of what actually happened in this situation.

Whether the accuser was telling the truth and went up against a powerful legal team and couldn't make it through due to stress etc. or made the whole story up and was fully willing to destroy someone's life for personal gain, both outcomes unfortunately get chalked up as another notch in the "Better to just stay quiet if you've been raped" column.

I was going to post something similar, and it's the case every time this happens in a public case like this. And since most of the cases which get this much public view involve rich people with high-powered attorneys and fans who would say anything in their defense, or who are more likely to be targeted by false claims, this outcome is the one folks are more likely to see, making it all the worse.

Good perspectives, guys. Yep, it's a shame we won't know the truth - a shame if there was a crime that won't be prosecuted and a shame if there wasn't because it will hang over Kane's head regardless.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good perspectives, guys. Yep, it's a shame we won't know the truth - a shame if there was a crime that won't be prosecuted and a shame if there wasn't because it will hang over Kane's head regardless.

I read the full statement, and have a lot of questions about the choice of words.

And why it seemed so personal when most prosecutors would drop a form statement that says "We don't feel there is enough chance of successful prosecution". And that whole "she is dropping her cooperation - BUT SHE ISN'T GETTING PAID TO DO IT, NUH-UH. NOSIREE BOB" bit...

C'est la vie.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the full statement, and have a lot of questions about the choice of words.

And why it seemed so personal when most prosecutors would drop a form statement that says "We don't feel there is enough chance of successful prosecution". And that whole "she is dropping her cooperation - BUT SHE ISN'T GETTING PAID TO DO IT, NUH-UH. NOSIREE BOB" bit...

C'est la vie.

Yeah, I just read the document. Willingness of the complainant aside (which is not necessary to move prosecution forward), the other bullet points in that document point to material facts in question.

The document uses phrases like "material inconsistencies," "tend to...," and "credible evidence." These concern me because they are supplanting the duty of a grand jury. The prosecutor should be examining whether evidence, mens rea, etc. EXIST to proceed with prosecution. The degree to which that provides enough evidence to support a criminal trial is the role of the grand jury.

And if a grand jury says there isn't enough here, then that exonerates Patrick Kane more clearly than a statement from the District Attorney. And if a grand jury feels there is enough evidence to proceed, then clearly the District Attorney is wrong in his assessment of the credibility and significance of the evidence here.

Bad ending for all involved.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say what really happened here but Kane has to be sat down and told to smarten up, he's always getting himself in trouble it seems.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok first DNA evidence is not required to prove guilt, it does make it easier.
Kane making his bed and washing the sheets doesn't mean anything either.
Kane remaining silent doesn't mean anything in a court of law either.
kanes friends telling a different story, means little.
All this comes down to is IF something happened, there is no way to prove it.
What is telling about this is there is no statement about her inconsistencies in her story.
That was the Key to getting the case vs Doughty dropped.

What they have is her story and no evidence to support it.

The next is not truth just a maybe
Kane may have been too drunk to remember what happened and too drunk to make anything happen.
Or the girl freaked out over nothing.
Still doesn't explain the teeth marks
Or the leg scratch

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok first DNA evidence is not required to prove guilt, it does make it easier.
Kane making his bed and washing the sheets doesn't mean anything either.
Kane remaining silent doesn't mean anything in a court of law either.
kanes friends telling a different story, means little.
All this comes down to is IF something happened, there is no way to prove it.
What is telling about this is there is no statement about her inconsistencies in her story.
That was the Key to getting the case vs Doughty dropped.

What they have is her story and no evidence to support it.

The next is not truth just a maybe
Kane may have been too drunk to remember what happened and too drunk to make anything happen.
Or the girl freaked out over nothing.
Still doesn't explain the teeth marks
Or the leg scratch

For some reason< i tried to read that like it was haiku :noidea:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typing on my phone, makes for odd sentence structure.

I gave up on phoneposting. The "auto-correct" made for some very embarassing posts. Plus I don't think Siri gets my Trawna with Kentucky-modified dialect.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I gave up on phoneposting. The "auto-correct" made for some very embarassing posts. Plus I don't think Siri gets my Trawna with Kentucky-modified dialect.
No Siri, I said "drape"