• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Partrick Kane being investigated for r*pe - Update - No charges to be filed, case closed

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All too often it's more about what can be proved over what actually happened.

And messing with witnesses and evidence is the #1 tactic to set seemingly guilty people free.

Explains why people in my line of work go so crazy eventually. Fortunately for me, I was already there.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap.

Side note, this kind of fits the scenario my coworkers came up with for the kit to be legit and the bag not to be faked.

Okay, a few things here.
1) Kane's lawyer himself said Kane's DNA was found on the victim, just not "below the waist". Also reports of others involved. So just because his DNA isn't in that one place doesn't mean he didn't do anything. r*pe kit tests specific things, if his DNA was on that shirt, or elsewhere it is still valid evidence. So when they say his DNA was not in the r*pe kit it's selective truth. He could have been a party to the crime and not have actually been the worst one there.
2) Mom is a fucking moron, and seems to be trying to make this about revenge. Which is killing the case for her daughter. But remember, she is probably facing a lot of pressure in her own right. Doesn't excuse the idiocy, but not being able to go anywhere in your hometown without people giving you shit could have a damaging effect.
3) DA has a lot of answers, but he is still in that community and probably very close with everyone involved.
And as this is still a pending investigation, I find it odd that he would rush to defend a party to the investigation (local Cops).
4) I am not clear on if the shirt she was wearing, that she apparently changed out of, ever made it into evidence. That's a piece of evidence that is pretty important here.

For something that was kept so successfully quiet for so long to suddenly be splashed into the court of public opinion definitely favors one side. Seems it would be rather easy to spin someone up and make them do something stupid.

Girls needs a good, savvy and detached lawyer ASAP. And he needs to keep this away from WNY. It;s like keystone cops and three stooges all wrapped into one up there it seems.

I know a lot of folks think these developments mean Kane is innocent and is being set up, but I'm with you, all this really brings to light is that the folks in the girl's corner are horribly incompetent.

Still, obviously, it's possible she's making it up, but for the same reason I won't say Kane is definitely a rapist, I cannot assume that she is. But either way, while none of this proves Kane's innocence, it will probably make it more difficult to prove his guilt, and in the eyes of the law, there isn't much difference.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All too often it's more about what can be proved over what actually happened.

And messing with witnesses and evidence is the #1 tactic to set seemingly guilty people free.

Explains why people in my line of work go so crazy eventually. Fortunately for me, I was already there.

Plus we're still fuzzy as a society about what consent is (for some reason, it should be obvious), and that's an important component of the proceedings. Kane could be guilty and have no idea he did anything wrong, and it's not hard to get the jury to be unsure about whether or not he did anything wrong, because they're often just as fuzzy on it as the perpetrator.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a lot of folks think these developments mean Kane is innocent and is being set up, but I'm with you, all this really brings to light is that the folks in the girl's corner are horribly incompetent.

Still, obviously, it's possible she's making it up, but for the same reason I won't say Kane is definitely a rapist, I cannot assume that she is. But either way, while none of this proves Kane's innocence, it will probably make it more difficult to prove his guilt, and in the eyes of the law, there isn't much difference.

To be fair (indicted!), the other side doesn't look so hot either.

She hasn't been on TV, she hasn't gone on talk shows, she hasn't gone on the web to defend herself. Seems like someone with ulterior motives would have done at least one of those things by now. Makes me lean towards the idea that her biggest failure is trusting the wrong people. A few times in a row. With Kane's reputation and some of the evidence that has leaked (assuming accuracy), I lean in her favor at the moment. Quite a bit less than at first, but still.

Also, the Tribune's claim that her best friend is changing *her* story and was going to refuse to testify is apparently made up.

Chicago Tribune "Using 'We can retract later' as an official stance since 1948 "
500x281.jpg

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just cant get over how stupid the girls lawyer is. goes to press, shows womans name, and then says womens name when he steps away from case. he should find a new career. looks like we will never get much info on what actually did or didn't happen

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...nlikely-to-face-criminal-charges-in-r*pe-case

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know the details, but the mom trying to taint evidence did not help the daughter's case.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know the details, but the mom trying to taint evidence did not help the daughter's case.
Yeah. May even have been the biggest reason charges weren't laid. It would be pretty easy for even a half-assed lawyer to use that incident to convince a jury this was a con from day one.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're reporting in Buffalo that the accuser has stopped cooperating with the investigation, which is surely a big part of it too:

Kane’s accuser no longer wishes to cooperate in investigation - The Buffalo News

A few months of being called everything in the book , being betrayed by your mom and vilified by two cities might just make someone decide to give up.

I know women who have been raped but gave up on pressing charges because the person who did it was a friend of their family. It is incomprehensible to me what this woman has been through.

Another successful trial by media.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, this will be another case that reinforces the stigma against reporting cases of r*pe. I say unfortunately regardless of what actually happened in this situation.

Whether the accuser was telling the truth and went up against a powerful legal team and couldn't make it through due to stress etc. or made the whole story up and was fully willing to destroy someone's life for personal gain, both outcomes unfortunately get chalked up as another notch in the "Better to just stay quiet if you've been raped" column.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^I want to be articulate like dash when I grow up.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, this will be another case that reinforces the stigma against reporting cases of r*pe. I say unfortunately regardless of what actually happened in this situation.

Whether the accuser was telling the truth and went up against a powerful legal team and couldn't make it through due to stress etc. or made the whole story up and was fully willing to destroy someone's life for personal gain, both outcomes unfortunately get chalked up as another notch in the "Better to just stay quiet if you've been raped" column.

I was going to post something similar, and it's the case every time this happens in a public case like this. And since most of the cases which get this much public view involve rich people with high-powered attorneys and fans who would say anything in their defense, or who are more likely to be targeted by false claims, this outcome is the one folks are more likely to see, making it all the worse.