• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thursday Night Football: Panthers @ Broncos on NBC

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I'm not really going looking for any at this point, when it doesn't matter. I know Marshall went after Cam's head, but...no call, no foul.

If Wilson or Brees took some of those same hits last night, they would have been sailing 5 yards downfield and the refs would not have hesitated to throw a flag. Of course, this is why they SLIDE.

I get that when Cam runs, he's a RB, but still, the league has said they were going to try and clamp down on H2H hits, and I think that was all just lip service because of the bad press they've been getting the past several years.
Yeah, that Marshall one was bad, I really don't know how they missed it.

I agree with your last paragraph, though. I think the league wants to pay lip service to player safety, but when it comes to helmet to helmet hits on runners there's really nothing they can do without fundamentally changing the game.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No screen passes, no draw plays...nothing to feast on D hellbent on rushing the passer. That was piss poor play calling and largely why the Panthers lost imo.

Yep, that was extremely annoying. In the first half, Cam was taking short drop-backs and avoiding the Miller rush, getting rid of the ball quickly. In the second half, it looked more like the Superbowl -- deeper dropbacks, holding the ball, looking for a long receiver. I guess a lot of credit has to go to Phillips and the Bronco secondary, because evidently no one was open.

Would have liked to have seen some more Jonathan Stewart for the entire game.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other note on Cam Newton and why people don't like him, when the Panthers wasted one of their first half time outs because the play clock was running out, TJ Ward was pumping up the crowd and as Cam walked by, he gave TJ a shoved and then started jawing with him.

Not a big deal really, but it feeds into the narrative that Cam is a bitch when things aren't going well for him.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is, none of those guys were showboats like Cam is. Nobody cared about the Broncos o-line ignoring the media after a loss because they ignored the media all the time. Lombardi and Montana weren't dancing and celebrating and saying things like, "If you don't like the dancing, stop me." That's the difference.

So when Nalen, Zimmerman, Schelereth and company skipped their press conferences after losing to Jacksonville in the playoffs, but then were there front and center the following year after the Green Bay win in the Superbowl in that press conference and locker room interviews, then also throw in their on field showboating in front of the camera's after plays with the mile high salutes...

That's the kind of thing fans like you really hate?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that was extremely annoying. In the first half, Cam was taking short drop-backs and avoiding the Miller rush, getting rid of the ball quickly. In the second half, it looked more like the Superbowl -- deeper dropbacks, holding the ball, looking for a long receiver. I guess a lot of credit has to go to Phillips and the Bronco secondary, because evidently no one was open.

I just looked at the stats, I can't believe he only had 15 carries. It seemed like a lot more. Of course, they also run with Cam a lot, so that's probably why it felt like they were running a ton. And they did end up with 32 carries on the game.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when Nalen, Zimmerman, Schelereth and company skipped their press conferences after losing to Jacksonville in the playoffs, but then were there front and center the following year after the Green Bay win in the Superbowl in that press conference and locker room interviews, then also throw in their on field showboating in front of the camera's after plays with the mile high salutes...

That's the kind of thing fans like you really hate?
There's a difference between celebrating when you win the Super Bowl, and celebrating after every first down. The Broncos o-line always avoided the media, they even had their own system of fines if guys were quoted in the paper or talked to the media at all, and they only opened up at the Super Bowl because the NFL threatened them with big fines if they didn't.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Cam as a running threat in the RZ, but at that point in the game late...the read option needs to go in the closet...You're right Stewart's touches dried up late.

As far as Cam taking shots to the head, some were pretty obvious, but the HC was just taking it in stride...a more OFC minded HC would be all over the refs...no way you should see 3 or 4 shots like that on your QB and not flipping lose it on the officials.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be mistaken about which game you're mentioning, but Montana got his eggs scrambled in one playoff game against NY. Jim Burt came in unblocked and planted his ass on the goal line, messed up his shoulder and rung his bell good. That might have been why Joe didn't speak to the press afterwards

No the other year. Yeah that one he was ruined... I think it was the year before. Montana had back to back TD's (one flagged for holding, one dropped), but ended up only scoring a FG all game. Not sure if it was a Walsh thing or what, but they were always pretty closed up with the media after losses.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty good game last night. Kudos to the Broncos...and I'm eating a little crow today, thought CAR would win that one.

More than anything...my take, the CAR OC is simply not that good.

While giving the Broncos D some credit, the Panthers take over the ball with 3 min and change with at least 2 chances to stop the clock and they more or less played right into DEN's hands...they pretty abandoned the run and went 2 min when they only needed a FG to win.

No screen passes, no draw plays...nothing to feast on D hellbent on rushing the passer. That was piss poor play calling and largely why the Panthers lost imo.

They only had one time that they wound up burning needlessly. You are eating up 20 seconds on each running play, at a minimum.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They only had one time that they wound up burning needlessly. You are eating up 20 seconds on each running play, at a minimum.

1 + the 2 min I thought...clearly they had time keep one or 2 runs in the plan, certainly a screen or a draw imo...needed about 45-50 yds for a decent FGA.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked at the stats, I can't believe he only had 15 carries. It seemed like a lot more. Of course, they also run with Cam a lot, so that's probably why it felt like they were running a ton. And they did end up with 32 carries on the game.

Best ground game in the league. That's always been the Panthers' philosophy, coming from Jerry Richardson. They're able to spread that running load out with Cam, Stewart, Whittaker, Tolbert and Artis-Payne.

I just love watching Stewart carry the ball. So hard to take down, not quite Lynch-like but close. Being in the league for so long, I understand they want to protect him more.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a difference between celebrating when you win the Super Bowl, and celebrating after every first down. The Broncos o-line always avoided the media, they even had their own system of fines if guys were quoted in the paper or talked to the media at all, and they only opened up at the Super Bowl because the NFL threatened them with big fines if they didn't.

So a mile high salute was only ok if it was in the SB? And was talking post-game. They opened up and did interviews after the SB. I remember Gary Zimmerman even telling his story of why he started the no talking bit after a game in Minnesota where his quote was bended.

I could care less to be honest, just my opinion. Not really that important to me to say "well you can celebrate TD's in front of the camera, but not talk after games, unless you win SB's, but if you lose games it's ok to be quiet unless you are a QB, but then it's ok for a coach to give crap answers, but we'll be upset if he's too vocal win or lose...." and make up this huge list of rules on how I expect a player to behave on TV. Could care less what his TV presence is outside of playing the game to be honest. Not going to drive me either way.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Cam taking shots to the head, some were pretty obvious, but the HC was just taking it in stride...a more OFC minded HC would be all over the refs...no way you should see 3 or 4 shots like that on your QB and not flipping lose it on the officials.

Agreed. Rivera SHOULD be more concerned about his star QB lasting the season, but deep down he's probably going, "this isn't shit compared to when I played..."

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 + the 2 min I thought...clearly they had time keep one or 2 runs in the plan, certainly a screen or a draw imo...needed about 45-50 yds for a decent FGA.

God that was awful timeout management by Carolina.

The goal line challenge even. 4th quarter, and first challenge. Not likely you will be using 3 before the game is over. Don't take a timeout to look at the play, just chuck the flag.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if they were going for head shots or what, I tend to think not. I think they were just trying to smack the shit out of Cam because I think they think he is bitch made. But they sure did get a bunch that should have been flagged.

All in all I think that was a very well played opener and both teams are going to be good this season. I am kicking myself for not drafting more Denver players in fantasy, especially CJ. I should have known Kubiak would turn that offense into Texans Rocky Mountains Edition and run the shit out of the ball.
Likely at least 3 fines will come out of that game for all the head shots and rightly so. I love watching Cam lose and seeing the fucking look on his face, but beat him on the field fair and square. The league needs villains as much as heroes. Who am I going to hate on if he gets knocked out of the league? :noidea:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just don't see how that really makes much difference. The Broncos are going to give them the 5-7 rush up the middle and keep the clock running.

If they had 3 timeouts I would be more supportive of your argument.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts exactly...typical old school DEF HC...but if he raises a stink...maybe he gets a call later in the game.

Right, he's a HEAD coach now, needs to be concerned with both sides of the ball, and that's your MVP.

Still should be another good year in Charlotte. They won't face as many teams who are as physical as Denver. In a way this was the perfect game to start the season

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the head shots I was speaking of.

Can't really get a great view of it but it does appear he is trying for the head... Wonder if the Saints were paying him?