• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos QB Pick in the Draft

Who would get your vote?

• Michael Penix

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Bo Nix

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • JJ McCarthy

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • None of these. Get non-QB BPA.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always fun this time of year to read fan perspectives on different QB's in the draft. Most commonly, many will predict "overrated" or "surefire bust". I went back and found a few analyst's comments on some current quarterbacks (taken from various websites). The reality is that no one knows how a rookie QB will pan out:

Josh Allen
Some team sources who are skeptical of Allen compare him to Kyle Boller as a quarterback with big-time triangle numbers plus athleticism and major arm strength. They do have concerns about the lack of production against good opponents and not delivering clutch performances against better teams. Not every evaluator in the NFL is buying the excuse of a poor supporting cast, and they think that there is some danger to Allen as a prospect.

Justin Herbert
But the reality is Herbert is the fifth-best quarterback in this class who is being pushed up draft boards due to various degrees of wishful thinking and ignorance.

Herbert is inconsistent and has failed to make adequate growth as a signal-caller in his time with Oregon. While it is admirable he has the patience and maturity to go through all of his reads, he is not very fast about it sometimes and has benefited from playing against relatively mediocre defenses in the Pac-12. He is not fast enough (4.68, 40-yard dash) to run away from edge rushers at the NFL level when the pocket collapses due to his delay in releasing the ball.

Patrick Mahomes
Mahomes is going to need to learn how to work under center, call plays in a huddle, and develop his footwork to make drops from being under center. His college offense featured a lot of quick throws, screens, and designed runs that don’t translate to the NFL.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.. and the flipside:

re: Christian Hackenberg

In 2015, ESPN’s Todd McShay placed Hackenberg atop of his 2016 “way too early” mock draft. “He’s a big-time talent with a pro-style skill set,” McShay wrote. ESPN’s Trent Dilfer said Hackenberg would be taken with one of the first five picks of the draft. “Scouts and GMs and coaches will drool over Christian Hackenberg,” Dilfer said. “He’s very, very, very similar to Troy Aikman. They’re the same body type, thrower, personality, competitors.” Greg Cosell of NFL Films seconded the Aikman comparison.

More from ESPN:

NFL front office types look at tape of Hackenberg and see, potentially, the next Andrew Luck. Maybe even the next Tom Brady.
He has the arm to uncork NFL-level spirals into windows so tight that most college quarterbacks wouldn't even consider the risk. Not to mention he is built like a lumberjack, possesses an analytical mind captivated by nuance and shows the determination to do the mundane film work necessary to maximize his abilities.

"I think he is easily a top-five pick," an NFL scout says.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.. and the flipside:

re: Christian Hackenberg

In 2015, ESPN’s Todd McShay placed Hackenberg atop of his 2016 “way too early” mock draft. “He’s a big-time talent with a pro-style skill set,” McShay wrote. ESPN’s Trent Dilfer said Hackenberg would be taken with one of the first five picks of the draft. “Scouts and GMs and coaches will drool over Christian Hackenberg,” Dilfer said. “He’s very, very, very similar to Troy Aikman. They’re the same body type, thrower, personality, competitors.” Greg Cosell of NFL Films seconded the Aikman comparison.

More from ESPN:

NFL front office types look at tape of Hackenberg and see, potentially, the next Andrew Luck. Maybe even the next Tom Brady.
He has the arm to uncork NFL-level spirals into windows so tight that most college quarterbacks wouldn't even consider the risk. Not to mention he is built like a lumberjack, possesses an analytical mind captivated by nuance and shows the determination to do the mundane film work necessary to maximize his abilities.

"I think he is easily a top-five pick," an NFL scout says.

Yep. Goes both ways!

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very interesting article detailing scouts, GMs, and other NFL people and their takes on 20 of the QBs in this draft ... a few interesting takes:

On Spencer Rattler:

"I have Spencer higher than Penix," an NFC scouting director said. "Spencer's got a better arm, better release, probably has better fundamentals, has played in a couple of pro-style offenses now. I know he's kind of the forgotten name. He has matured tremendously. I thought he nailed his interview at the Senior Bowl. Every time I've ever heard this kid give an interview, he's had every chance to throw Caleb Williams under the bus and he does not do it. It wouldn't surprise me if this kid's the one still standing."

On JJ McCarthy:

"He uses his whole body to throw the ball. My shoulder hurts watching him throw a football," an AFC assistant coach said. "Everything is a fastball. He's not accurate. Even on completed passes, shorter throws, he slows his guys down. It takes away some yards after catch. There's a lot of bad decisions. And they don't throw the ball. They took the ball out of his hands consistently in pretty decent moments. Harbaugh can say whatever the f--- he wants, but if he really, truly felt that way about McCarthy, he would've thrown the ball a lot more. And the proof of it is he did it with Andrew Luck."

On Bo Nix:
He's talented. I think he throws the ball really well. He's a good athlete. He's older (turned 24 in February). It's almost like he's been constructed in a lab. He's really good in the interview process -- I think that's what's raised him up. I see him perfect for a situation like Denver with Sean Payton and running that system and doing exactly what you want him to do and not much extra outside of that."

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if they can speak on players without their name attached to it, I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes more sense to go with Stidham....if they suck? Take Sanders in the '25 draft.