• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thursday Night Football: Panthers @ Broncos on NBC

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see how that really makes much difference. The Broncos are going to give them the 5-7 rush up the middle and keep the clock running.

If they had 3 timeouts I would be more supportive of your argument.

If you think the playcalling on the last drive was good...we do disagree on that.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other note on Cam Newton and why people don't like him, when the Panthers wasted one of their first half time outs because the play clock was running out, TJ Ward was pumping up the crowd and as Cam walked by, he gave TJ a shoved and then started jawing with him.

Not a big deal really, but it feeds into the narrative that Cam is a bitch when things aren't going well for him.
Yeah I saw that play and thought the same thing. Cam walked right up to TJ Ward and shoved him. If I were a ref, I would have flagged Cam for unsportsmanlike conduct.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think the playcalling on the last drive was good...we do disagree on that.

I think the time management was pretty poor. And they got lucky with the call on Harris. But they got themselves in range to make a very makable field goal. If Newton gets his throw to the line of scrimmage on the offsetting calls, they have a pretty easy 35 year field goal.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a mile high salute was only ok if it was in the SB? And was talking post-game. They opened up and did interviews after the SB. I remember Gary Zimmerman even telling his story of why he started the no talking bit after a game in Minnesota where his quote was bended.

I could care less to be honest, just my opinion. Not really that important to me to say "well you can celebrate TD's in front of the camera, but not talk after games, unless you win SB's, but if you lose games it's ok to be quiet unless you are a QB, but then it's ok for a coach to give crap answers, but we'll be upset if he's too vocal win or lose...." and make up this huge list of rules on how I expect a player to behave on TV. Could care less what his TV presence is outside of playing the game to be honest. Not going to drive me either way.
The Mile High Salute was started by TD and the running backs. I don't remember any offensive lineman ever doing it.

And again, there's a difference between ignoring the media all the time and finally talking after the Super Bowl, and showboating and gloating and acting cocky, and then pouting and leaving early when you do lose.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely at least 3 fines will come out of that game for all the head shots and rightly so. I love watching Cam lose and seeing the fucking look on his face, but beat him on the field fair and square. The league needs villains as much as heroes. Who am I going to hate on if he gets knocked out of the league? :noidea:
I don't know if Von will get fined. That looked pretty incidental to me. Stewart and Marshall are definitely looking at fines, though.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Von will get fined. That looked pretty incidental to me. Stewart and Marshall are definitely looking at fines, though.
Weren't there 4 hits on him? :noidea: The one you speak of shouldn't get a fine, but there were more than one that will. Let's just put it that way.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weren't there 4 hits on him? :noidea: The one you speak of shouldn't get a fine, but there were more than one that will. Let's just put it that way.
Good point, but if a running QB is out of the pocket when he gets hit, is the NFL less likely to fine a defensive player for a hit?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, but if a running QB is out of the pocket when he gets hit, is the NFL less likely to fine a defensive player for a hit?
Not if they are applying the rules.

In this case you have something very much in the national spotlight. This was the only game played and those hits were the biggest story of that game. The league will seriously drop the ball if they don't come out with fines.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've only seen 3 being talked about today. The Miller hit, the Marshall hit, and the Stewart hit.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other note on Cam Newton and why people don't like him, when the Panthers wasted one of their first half time outs because the play clock was running out, TJ Ward was pumping up the crowd and as Cam walked by, he gave TJ a shoved and then started jawing with him.

Not a big deal really, but it feeds into the narrative that Cam is a bitch when things aren't going well for him.
I mean, he is no Jake Plummer but he does seem somewhat unlikable.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the time management was pretty poor. And they got lucky with the call on Harris. But they got themselves in range to make a very makable field goal. If Newton gets his throw to the line of scrimmage on the offsetting calls, they have a pretty easy 35 year field goal.

I said last drive, but we're talking about 2 different drives...I was referring to the 3:06 mark drive that resulted in a punt...I guess a mute point since they got it back, but still a poor series of playcalls.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it will either with where offenses are going. The only problem is does the punishment fit the crime then? If you are getting beat on a route on that play and grab the WR and just tackle him before the QB throws the ball, the most that team gets is a 5 yard penalty and a new play then. You just used your "go to" play that gives you your best chance of converting, you lost the opportunity to make a monster game changing play and now are stuck in a similar situation.

Big difference between tackling a guy and just touching him with the no contact... That's why I said some of the call's ... If your just gonna grab the guy that's a totally different scenario ... touching the guy's face mask is another different scenario, last night to give away a 1st down on a 4th and a mile because the guy's face mask was touched is ridiculous ... If it's a blatant hold allow the offensive team to still finish the play, so they get a mulligan PLUS make it a 10 yard penalty ... Offenses have to start earning 1st downs, defenses have enough rules they're dealing with ... Auto 1st downs are way too easy right now...

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is the fact that he was down 10 in the 4th quarter to one of the best defenses in football and yet stayed cool and collected even after throwing a couple of intereceptions and helped guide a couple of really nice drives to get the Broncos on top. He definitely has plenty to work on. He was far from perfect. Cannot have those turnovers. The tipped interception was on him for not getting it up a bit higher and we saw that same thing when he had a guy wide open in the end zone where he tried to zip it in to get it tipped. The other one he had the guy open for a touchdown and unfortunately pressure in his face got to him. I don't blame him for the throw but either get that out a bit earlier or the team needs to figure out how to pick up those delayed blitzes. Seemed like those were the plays they struggled to block.

For a first game against such a tough opponent he did a great job keeping the team calm and believing they could win this game. Can't ask much more from a young guy.
Yeah, there's certainly something to having a poised and confident QB, even if he's wobbly in all actuality. You might make him look bad, but he's going to have a pretty short memory about it- good trait. At the same time looking at the entirety of the game it kind of played out how I kind of expected from him turnover wise. A couple of poor decisions and a low trajectory and that's a recipe for a QB rating right in line with 70. Certainly showed he belonged in the league as a capable backup, but maybe that's all Denver is going to need for the time being assuming the defense stays healthy in key spots. Going to be interesting to see how he does against defenses with tape on him.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I would say I was impressed with him, but I will say I don't think the sky is falling and he'll be just fine as Denver's qb for now. He was extremely poised which was very nice to see. That was the biggest thing. The moment clearly isn't too big for him.

That Panthers d is pretty good, especially that front 7. He's got some work to do, but the fact that he wasn't a disaster is encouraging.
Yeah, he pretty much performed how I thought he would. Significant wobbling but maybe not terminal so long as Denver's defense is fully functional in all facets. Denver's running game looked pretty good. Denver's WR's vs Carolina's CB's was a pretty lopsided mismatch that Denver actually did a great job of exploiting (at least the best they could with a guy like Simien) the Panthers secondary. Carolina had depth problems last year at CB behind Norman which led to some unneccessarily close games but those CB's look like they're in real trouble for Carolina going forward. Lot of very easy throws for Siemian which is good.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there's certainly something to having a poised and confident QB, even if he's wobbly in all actuality. You might make him look bad, but he's going to have a pretty short memory about it- good trait. At the same time looking at the entirety of the game it kind of played out how I kind of expected from him turnover wise. A couple of poor decisions and a low trajectory and that's a recipe for a QB rating right in line with 70. Certainly showed he belonged in the league as a capable backup, but maybe that's all Denver is going to need for the time being assuming the defense stays healthy in key spots. Going to be interesting to see how he does against defenses with tape on him.

I guess for me the best way I can describe Siemian last night is that he showed ENOUGH for me to give him a bit more time and see what he has. Yeah it definitely wasn't all pretty and really the game plan kept things pretty simple for him with a lot of short throws (given that is what the Panthers defensive scheme allows). If the 2 interception thing continues then yeah the Broncos will need to make the switch sooner than later and see what Lynch has. I'm definitely not going to say the Broncos have found their QB solution. No team in the league can turn the ball over 3 times a game and expect to consistently win.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said last drive, but we're talking about 2 different drives...I was referring to the 3:06 mark drive that resulted in a punt...I guess a mute point since they got it back, but still a poor series of playcalls.

No. The 3:06 drive resulted in the field goal attempt.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I had to be half asleep then...thought they punted.

They were 4th and very long and got a very favorable penalty to get them the first down on that drive.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were 4th and very long and got a very favorable penalty to get them the first down on that drive.

Oh, that I remember. 4th and long..but I did miss a few things. I still think on that drive, they had some poor play calls. Fortunately they got the break on the 4th down play or they never would've gotten a FGA. You give Brady, Ben, Brees, really most of the top OFCs in the league 3:06, a TO and 2 min warning TO...they do a much better job.