• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our Big 10 preview thread 2016

Who do YOU think will win the Big 10?

• Iowa

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Michigan State

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Northwestern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Wisconsin

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is impossible, but it's just so unlikely there's no reason to put them on the voting list above.

Many things factor into future success. One of them is past success. It's extremely rare, and highly unlikely, that teams who haven't won their conference for 50 years are going to randomly jump up from no where and win it on any given year. We're talking about a 6 win team here that lost 7 games. It's not like the 2016 recruiting class was steller and that boost is expected to lift the program. Or even that Minnesota is extremely talented but just had a terrible coach (see Michigan's improvement from 2014-2015). Minnesota will win 6-8 and might take out one or two teams they weren't expected to beat.

Pre 1992 Wisconsin was completely irrelevant, and they've been pretty relevant.

MN can jump into discussion and with commitment to athletics improving there is no reason they can't get to same level as Iowa and Wisconsin, who face many of same challenges.

We no longer have a dumpy stadium and our new facilities, while not putting us into elite category, no longer laughing stock as well once complete.

Wisconsin/Iowa/Mi State aren't consistently recruiting top 20 classes either

I think they're in running for B1G West, which by extension, in running for B1G. I see it as improbable, but not impossible.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MN can jump into discussion and with commitment to athletics improving there is no reason they can't get to same level as Iowa and Wisconsin, who face many of same challenges.

We no longer have a dumpy stadium and our new facilities, while not putting us into elite category, no longer laughing stock as well once complete.

I think they're in running for B1G West, which by extension, in running for B1G. I see it as improbable, but not impossible.
To be fair, MSU, Iowa and Wisconsin have a huge edge in coaching over Minnesota. Nothing against Claeys, but he's brand new to being a HC.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, MSU, Iowa and Wisconsin have a huge edge in coaching over Minnesota. Nothing against Claeys, but he's brand new to being a HC.

Absolutely fair, there are questions surrounding MN. I fully understand that MN needs to prove it, as I said, too often they've been one win away from breaking through. I think eventually they'll get that big win, and I like their chances this year.

I think Chryst has a bit to prove as well, he was average at Pitt and just lost his best assistant. But that's just splitting hairs

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely fair, there are questions surrounding MN. I fully understand that MN needs to prove it, as I said, too often they've been one win away from breaking through. I think eventually they'll get that big win, and I like their chances this year.

I think Chryst has a bit to prove as well, he was average at Pitt and just lost his best assistant. But that's just splitting hairs
I'd love to see Minnesota get back to relevance, they deserve it after so long. They're nuts having an outdoor stadium up there, but it's nice. It'll take a few miracles this year for them to overcome the teams at the top in the West, let alone the top dogs in the East.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its a shame Kill's health let him down. He could have brought great stability to the gophers program, and I actually think he was a pretty good coach.

But you're right. The athletic facilities upgrade is going to be a game changer. I expect the gophers recruiting to upgrade significantly.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a shame Kill's health let him down. He could have brought great stability to the gophers program, and I actually think he was a pretty good coach.

But you're right. The athletic facilities upgrade is going to be a game changer. I expect the gophers recruiting to upgrade significantly.

It's a shame, I'll miss Kill. Hopefully our offense can do better though

The prior regime was goofy. Limegrover called run plays, Zembrowski called passing plays, and kill decided which of the 2 to use.....(RUTM being the most popular)

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't confuse hate with love. I hate the buckeyes and I am proud of it!!!

I'll make a deal w/ you. If you root for the Buckeyes this year I'll root for the your Wolverines on 10/15.

whiskey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,001.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pnk, put Minnesota as a write in. (Just remember, voting 3rd party is always a waste of time)

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see Minnesota get back to relevance, they deserve it after so long. They're nuts having an outdoor stadium up there, but it's nice. It'll take a few miracles this year for them to overcome the teams at the top in the West, let alone the top dogs in the East.

Keep in mind that part of the agreement in having the Vikings play at TCF stadium the previous two years included the Vikings installing that fancy-shmancy under the turf heating system. Per the agreement with the Vikings, other areas of TCF stadium received heating systems too:

TCF Bank Stadium getting $6.6M upgrade to prepare for Vikings

TCF Bank Stadium Warmly Welcomes Minnesota Vikings With Aquatherm Piping Systems

No frozen tundra for the Golden Gophers! The November B1G games in TCF are pleasant for the players, because the stadium is now fit for December and January NFL games.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Except something very big changed, they hired a once-in-a-lifetime coach in Alvarez. And it took him 4 years to get things going. It took Dantonio 4 years at Michigan State to flip things around. I'm not saying Minnesota is going to suck forever, but it's very unlikely that they'll compete in any way for the b10 title this year.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is Dantonio's 10th season as HC of the Spartans, and pretty much every year, folks have been saying: 'the Spartans are probably going to take a step back this season because of (fill in the blank)'.

Well, of course this season it's the same story, with many folks predicting a step backwards for MSU, despite the Spartans possibly having their best defense ever under Dantonio:

Could Michigan State have its best defense under Mark Dantonio in 2016?

Michigan State plays both the Wolverines and Buckeyes in East Lansing this season; I would not be surprised to see the Spartans win the East Div.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love that gophers play outside

It's not really different than Iowa or Wisconsin playing outside

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except something very big changed, they hired a once-in-a-lifetime coach in Alvarez. And it took him 4 years to get things going. It took Dantonio 4 years at Michigan State to flip things around. I'm not saying Minnesota is going to suck forever, but it's very unlikely that they'll compete in any way for the b10 title this year.

Well I consider this continuation of Kill regime, same regime that was 30 minutes away from title game 2 years ago

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I consider this continuation of Kill regime, same regime that was 30 minutes away from title game 2 years ago
I'm not sure what season you're talking about 2 years ago, 2014, Minnesota finished 2 games behind Wisconsin in the West division.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what season you're talking about 2 years ago, 2014, Minnesota finished 2 games behind Wisconsin in the West division.

They played Wisconsin the very last game of the season. Win that game both finish 6-2 in conference and Gophers have the tie-breaker.