• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our Big 10 preview thread 2016

Who do YOU think will win the Big 10?

• Iowa

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Michigan State

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Northwestern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Wisconsin

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they didn't win....that's my point. Minnesota doesn't win things. The closest they have in the last 13 years is having a shot to win the division. A division in which they hadn't played the toughest team that year in Wisconsin. They won 8 games that year and finished 2nd in the division. If this thread was about the possibility of winning the west, then sure -- talk about the remote chance of Minnesota doing that. But this is about winning the B10 -- and it's almost a certainty that they don't.

And my point is also correct, they were 30 minutes away from B1G West two years ago....

And nearly pulled off teh upset last year vs Michigan.

I dont think it's outrageous to put them on poll. I don't think it would the greatest upset in College football history as you' seem to be implying.

It is highly improbable and not one I'd vote for

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They used the wrong team in the article about Don Brown. It was Florida State they held to 217 yards of offense. So while impressive, not as impressive, if it were Clemson.

I was stoked after reading that about Clemson. Kind of deflating to learn it was a mistake on the writer's part.

FSU overall was a good offensive team last year, but they were a below average offensive team away from home IMO. With that said Boston College had a great defense last year. They were good against Notre Dame(with some fortunate lucky bounces)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU overall was a good offensive team last year, but they were a below average offensive team away from home IMO. With that said Boston College had a great defense last year. They were good against Notre Dame(with some fortunate lucky bounces)

Yeah - it is still impressive to hold a team like FSU to that, but when I read the article it said Clemson, I was shocked and excited.

As someone who didn't watch BC play and only knows what I've read about the guy -- to read that about Clemson, I was excited as I thought -- i can only imagine what he could do with better recruits to work with his scheme. Also -- with Clemson spreading it out, it gave me hope of slowing down OSU's offense with his scheme.

Now -- I'm back to being worried. :L

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - it is still impressive to hold a team like FSU to that, but when I read the article it said Clemson, I was shocked and excited.

As someone who didn't watch BC play and only knows what I've read about the guy -- to read that about Clemson, I was excited as I thought -- i can only imagine what he could do with better recruits to work with his scheme. Also -- with Clemson spreading it out, it gave me hope of slowing down OSU's offense with his scheme.

Now -- I'm back to being worried. :L

I watched BC three times last year. Against Clemson, FSU and ND. He's a good defensive coordinator given what he had to work with. They struggled with Clemson and IMO against ND, but were fortunate that ND had 5 turnovers with 3 of them inside the 3 yard line or that game would have gotten out of hand. And they were good against FSU. They were a top 5 defense in terms of efficiency. I think it was a great hire.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the other team in the conference that beat OSU last year and went to the title game over them -- and made it to the CFB playoff? That team? Or the other team ranked ahead of OSU in the pre-season polls? Which team are you talking about?

Even though MSU won, MSU was not the better team. Everybody knows that was as big of a fluke of a win as there has ever been. Everybody outside of Ann Arbor knows tOSU runs the B1G. The OP should have changed the subject thread to, "Can MSU beat tOSU again?" b/c Dantonio is the only coach in this conference that has the balls to step up to Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes. Any chance Harbaugh can at least be competitive against tOSU this year? For fuck's sake, do you realize last year Meyer FINALLY lost his 1st regular season conference game since he took over at tOSU? I repeat, FINALLY lost his 1st regular season conference game last year.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though MSU won, MSU was not the better team. Everybody knows that was as big of a fluke of a win as there has ever been. Everybody outside of Ann Arbor knows tOSU runs the B1G. The OP should have changed the subject thread to, "Can MSU beat tOSU again?" b/c Dantonio is the only coach in this conference that has the balls to step up to Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes. Any chance Harbaugh can at least be competitive against tOSU this year? For fuck's sake, do you realize last year Meyer FINALLY lost his 1st regular season conference game since he took over at tOSU? I repeat, FINALLY lost his 1st regular season conference game last year.
I'm pretty sure OSU has only won the league like 1 time in the last 5 or 6 years... but don't let that slow your roll lol

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure OSU has only won the league like 1 time in the last 5 or 6 years... but don't let that slow your roll lol

2012 - Undefeated ineligible for B1G CG
2013 - Undefeated Regular Season - Lost to MSU in B1G CG
2014 - Undefeated Regular Season - Beat Wisconsin in B1G CG
2015 - 7-1 in B1G - Lost to MSU

@TexasExes98 does have a point with MSU being the only team able to play with them.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 years ago, Luke Fickell was coach.
4 years ago, 12-0 but postseason ban
3 years ago, lost to Sparty in an extremely close game (OSU led several minutes into the 4th) involving MSU's best team in 50 years.
2 years ago, resounding conference champs
last year, fluke loss kept us out of the CCG (and even bigger fluke play at the end of MSU-michigan)

His points are valid.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, like I said, MSU has been the problem. Dantonio is the only coach in the B1G that doesn't shit his pants when he plays Meyer and tOSU.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 years ago, lost to Sparty in an extremely close game (OSU led several minutes into the 4th) involving MSU's best team in 50 years.
last year, fluke loss kept us out of the CCG (and even bigger fluke play at the end of MSU-michigan)

His points are valid.

Wish they would have self-imposed a ban the year before, Ohio State would have been a much better match up for ND, than getting blown out against Bama. If Ohio State would have even made the title game, not 100% sure they would have without crunching the numbers.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish they would have self-imposed a ban the year before, Ohio State would have been a much better match up for ND, than getting blown out against Bama. If Ohio State would have even made the title game, not 100% sure they would have without crunching the numbers.
They would have, I'm sure. It's Ohio State, not Texas Tech or something. There's no way they leave and undefeated conference champ named Ohio State out of the title game, especially with such an enticing matchup like Notre Dame. However, that OSU team was probably Urban's worst one, to be honest. They would've gotten steamrolled by 2014 or 2015 OSU.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TexasExes98 does have a point with MSU being the only team able to play with them.
Can't be. Playing a B1G schedule is always a murderer's row. Because the former OSU, bow tie wearing president said it was. So be it.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would have, I'm sure. It's Ohio State, not Texas Tech or something. There's no way they leave and undefeated conference champ named Ohio State out of the title game, especially with such an enticing matchup like Notre Dame. However, that OSU team was probably Urban's worst one, to be honest. They would've gotten steamrolled by 2014 or 2015 OSU.

It would have come down to the voters. They would have had identical computer numbers despite Bama having a loss. Obviously we'll never know, but the AP did have Bama ahead despite having a loss(I know not part of BCS formula, just referencing) and ND wasn't unanimously #1 in either the Harris or Coaches Poll so some voters didn't have a problem voting Bama ahead of an undefeated ND. It's a question that's always fascinated me on what they would have done.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2012 - Undefeated ineligible for B1G CG
2013 - Undefeated Regular Season - Lost to MSU in B1G CG
2014 - Undefeated Regular Season - Beat Wisconsin in B1G CG
2015 - 7-1 in B1G - Lost to MSU

Sure. Yet they've still only won the league once. He'd be more accurate in saying Oklahoma runs the B12

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His points are valid.
Sio they've won once in 5 years?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, like I said, MSU has been the problem. Dantonio is the only coach in the B1G that doesn't shit his pants when he plays Meyer and tOSU.
That's every league man. There's always 1, 2 or 3 teams that win 80% of the titles. Right now in the B10 it's OSU, MSU and Wisconsin. No different than the SEC being Bama and LSU or the P12 being Stanford and Oregon or the ACC being Clemson and FSU. Every single league is like that.

Last edited:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Yet they've still only won the league once. He'd be more accurate in saying Oklahoma runs the B12

True, but they were also ineligible the first year, and the two other losses kept them out.

They've won 94% of their league games since Urban has been there. My guess is that's the highest % of any team in any conference.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's every league man. There's always 1, 2 or 3 teams that win 80% of the titles. Right now in the B10 it's OSU, MSU and Wisconsin. No different than the SEC being Bama and LSU or the P12 being Stanford and Oregon or the ACCURACY being Clemson and FSU. Every single league us like that.
:dhd::gaah:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sio they've won once in 5 years?
They have as many conference titles during Meyer's time as coach as they do regular season conference losses. Ohio State owns this conference.