• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our Big 10 preview thread 2016

Who do YOU think will win the Big 10?

• Iowa

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Michigan State

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Northwestern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Wisconsin

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They played Wisconsin the very last game of the season. Win that game both finish 6-2 in conference and Gophers have the tie-breaker.
But they didn't win....that's my point. Minnesota doesn't win things. The closest they have in the last 13 years is having a shot to win the division. A division in which they hadn't played the toughest team that year in Wisconsin. They won 8 games that year and finished 2nd in the division. If this thread was about the possibility of winning the west, then sure -- talk about the remote chance of Minnesota doing that. But this is about winning the B10 -- and it's almost a certainty that they don't.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they didn't win....that's my point. Minnesota doesn't win things. The closest they have in the last 13 years is having a shot to win the division. A division in which they hadn't played the toughest team that year in Wisconsin. They won 8 games that year and finished 2nd in the division. If this thread was about the possibility of winning the west, then sure -- talk about the remote chance of Minnesota doing that. But this is about winning the B10 -- and it's almost a certainty that they don't.

They were down 3 with 7 minutes to go with the game at Wisconsin. That is about as close as you can get without actually winning it, which I think was his point all along. They've come closer to winning a B1G division than Michigan has.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were down 3 with 7 minutes to go with the game at Wisconsin. That is about as close as you can get without actually winning it, which I think was his point all along. They've come closer to winning a B1G division than Michigan has.
Erm...

nooomicjhinga.0.gif

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's nice to see again and all but it still doesn't change anything...
Haha, yes it is pretty great. I was just referencing your "as close as you can get without actually winning it" comment.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, yes it is pretty great. I was just referencing your "as close as you can get without actually winning it" comment.

Had Michigan won that game there's still the 30 point loss to Ohio State at the end of the year, which would have sealed their fate.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what season you're talking about 2 years ago, 2014, Minnesota finished 2 games behind Wisconsin in the West division.

Had we beaten Wisconsin, we would've gone to B1G title game based on H2h Tie breaker. We had lead at half, but lost the game...so yes, 30 minutes away...at one time we lead 17-3

couldn't seal the deal though...

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No they weren't. They were down 3 with almost 8 minutes to go and Wisconsin scored a TD a minute and a half later. Minnesota scored 1 single time in the second half of that game.

Michigan was in the division title race down the last two games in both 2011 and 2015. Had OSU beaten MSU, Michigan vs. OSU would have decided the B10 division. And who knows how that game turns out differently if a B10 title is on the line. Not to mention the previously posted last second Michigan State score that would have made Michigan undefeated in B10 play going into the final game against OSU.

The point all along has been about Minnesota not being representing in a poll asking who's going to win the B10. And despite irrelevant arguments about the single time they kind of came close to going to a title game, Minnesota has absolutely no shot at winning the B10 any time soon. It would equate to one of the biggest surprises in recent CFB history if they won the B10.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they weren't. They were down 3 with almost 8 minutes to go and Wisconsin scored a TD a minute and a half later. Minnesota scored 1 single time in the second half of that game.

Michigan was in the division title race down the last two games in both 2011 and 2015. Had OSU beaten MSU, Michigan vs. OSU would have decided the B10 division. And who knows how that game turns out differently if a B10 title is on the line. Not to mention the previously posted last second Michigan State score that would have made Michigan undefeated in B10 play going into the final game against OSU.

The point all along has been about Minnesota not being representing in a poll asking who's going to win the B10. And despite irrelevant arguments about the single time they kind of came close to going to a title game, Minnesota has absolutely no shot at winning the B10 any time soon. It would equate to one of the biggest surprises in recent CFB history if they won the B10.

How much exactly can change in a 42-13 beat down?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Minnesota scored a TD to cut it to 3 with 7:32 remaining in the game. Which is exactly what I said they did. Down 3 with 7:32 to go.

And Michigan never got to the point of where winning a game would have clinched a division, so no, they haven't come closer to winning a division than Minnesota. Even if that fluke play hadn't happened against Michigan State, Michigan got their shit pushed in against Ohio State and that game was never close. Again Minnesota was down 3 mid-way through the 4th quarter in their attempt to win the division.

And I realize that Minnesota is probably a long shot to win the division/conference this year, and most years, but the fact is they have come closer to actually winning a B1G division than Michigan has despite your excuses.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland

Preview segment: The Maryland Terrapins

Last season:
I think Maryland has far less questions and they've got some real talent returning at the skill positions. I see them as a 4 or 5 win ( in conference games ) team. I don't see any B10E team other than OSU, MICHIGAN and potentially MSU I'm willing to say that about.

So even though Maryland was a dumpster fire last season at 3-9, even though Randy Edsall was fired as coach in mid-season, and even though their defense was crap, Maryland fans are still optimistic about 2016 with a new coach. Good to know!

2016 X-factor: New head coach D.J Durkin- Trouble is, Durkin has never been a head coach before. Yet he's already cleaned up the mess Randy Edsall left behind. Hmmm... we'll see.

Bad news: The running game will need some time to jell, especially with new offensive schemes being installed. The secondary got lit up last season, and the starting QB is not known.

Good news: However, there IS experience at the QB spot. Maryland's strength, though, are the lines; the O-line returns a few good players, and the D-line impressed during the spring game.

Key games:
10/8 @ Penn State (Some people on this thread have the Terps starting 6-0 this season. Well to me, 4-0 looks likely. But what will happen when Maryland visits "Happy Valley"? Don't forget, the Terps only lost by 1 point to Penn State last year.)
10/15 vs. Minnesota (Right after this game, Maryland deals with the Wolverines, Spartans, and Buckeyes in the next 4 weeks. So winning this "swing game" is key for their postseason chances.)
10/29 @ Indiana (In-between that East division gauntlet, Maryland has this winnable game at Indiana.)
11/26 vs. Rutgers (Rutgers should be all beaten-up by the time Maryland has their "Senior Day.")

Bottom line: Huh... Optimism reigns in College Park despite some question marks. I think for 2016, the new coach should try to keep this vibe going with a bowl trip. If he does, we may really have something here!

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska will likely suck a bag of hot garbage again......so I'm going with Iowa or OSU.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota

Preview segment: The Minnesota Golden Gophers

Last season: Much like Maryland, Minnesota's season was tumultuous. First Jerry Kill succumbs to his health problems and resigns mid-season, leaving Tracy Claeys to fill the void. Then the Gophers's offense folded against a hard schedule, and they finished 6-7 with a bowl win (Damn you, NCAA). In fact, the only reason Minnesota MADE a bowl game last year was their success in the classroom.
...Okay, maybe that's not such a bad thing. But you get the point; after a hard 2015 Minnesota is hoping for a return to West division contender-ship.

Good news: The D-line looks deep and is hoping to force more turnovers. On offense, the RB duo of Shannon Brooks and Rodney Smith could be a force to be reckoned with, and Mitch Leidner is back for one more year.

Bad news: Problem for Mitch is, he doesn't know who's gonna catch his passes; there's a lack of playmakers at WR. The kicking game needs an improvement, too.

Key games:
9/1 vs. Oregon State (Do NOT underestimate this September 1st game, whatever you do. Both the Gophers and Beavers would love to have a good start for their conference and themselves.)
10/1 @ Penn State (After dealing with Pittsburgh, Temple, and Michigan, Penn State may be ripe for the picking. It'll be up to that Gopher running game to capitalize.)
10/8 vs. Iowa (Bad news: The Gophers must play Iowa right afterwards. Good news: Minnesota can catch Iowa napping and take back the "Floyd of Rosedale" here.)
11/19 vs. Northwestern (More good news: Minnesota doesn't have to play Ohio State or Michigan this season. More bad news: Northwestern could ruin their "Senior Day"...)
11/26 @ Wisconsin (...which wouldn't bode well for the Gophers's chances to take "Paul Bunyan's Ax" away from the Badgers.)

Bottom line: Also like Maryland, I'll be hoping for the best as Minnesota starts over with a new coach. A softer schedule will help, but thanks to teams like Nebraska and Iowa the Big 10 West looks out of reach for the Gophers.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is all hypothetical. Getting angry and upset over someone's opinion is pointless. I picked UM because they have the momentum and a schedule set up early to let their new QB get acclimated to the offense. They returned multiple all Americans and added a DC, who held Clemson to under 120 yards passing and under 100 yards rushing with Boston college.

If he can scheme to hold that offense to 220 yards after watching what Clemson did the Bama -- Im excited to see what he can do with a defense returning everyone but their LB and added the #1 recruit in the country, who should play immediately.

I could see OSU winning the division too. They get UM at home while returning arguably the top QB in the B1G, who no longer has to worry if he is going to get pulled or lose his starting job. They have a lot of question marks, but Meuer has recruited tremendously and while their will be a drop off, it won't be the drop off some seem to expect. They will still be one of the top teams in the country

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is all hypothetical. Getting angry and upset over someone's opinion is pointless. I picked UM because they have the momentum and a schedule set up early to let their new QB get acclimated to the offense. They returned multiple all Americans and added a DC, who held Clemson to under 120 yards passing and under 100 yards rushing with Boston college.

If he can scheme to hold that offense to 220 yards after watching what Clemson did the Bama -- Im excited to see what he can do with a defense returning everyone but their LB and added the #1 recruit in the country, who should play immediately.

I could see OSU winning the division too. They get UM at home while returning arguably the top QB in the B1G, who no longer has to worry if he is going to get pulled or lose his starting job. They have a lot of question marks, but Meuer has recruited tremendously and while their will be a drop off, it won't be the drop off some seem to expect. They will still be one of the top teams in the country

Disregard the Clemson claim til I find the article I read it in. I didn't look it up and may have read it wrong.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clemson had 532 yards of offense against BC last year, so no.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson had 532 yards of offense against BC last year, so no.

They used the wrong team in the article about Don Brown. It was Florida State they held to 217 yards of offense. So while impressive, not as impressive, if it were Clemson.

I was stoked after reading that about Clemson. Kind of deflating to learn it was a mistake on the writer's part.