• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our Big 10 preview thread 2016

Who do YOU think will win the Big 10?

• Iowa

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Michigan State

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Northwestern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Wisconsin

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Maryland has far less questions and they've got some real talent returning at the skill positions. I see them as a 4 or 5 win ( in conference games ) team. I don't see any B10E team other than OSU, MICHIGAN and potentially MSU I'm willing to say that about. PSU will be lucky to score double digits per game, IU will be lucky to hold teams under 40, Rutgers is gonna Rutgers. It'll come down to MSU and Maryland for 3rd and I'll take the team with less questions especially because MSU has a brutal stretch to start league play
Under Armor hopes your are correct.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF, Minnesota could at least be on the poll

They have a soft schedule, could sneak in the BIG West winners

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under Armor hopes your are correct.
I actually think Maryland will start 6-0. Hawaii, FIU, UCF, PURDUE, PENN ST, MINNESOTA and the only semi tough road game is at PSU but their offense is going to be so bad I think the Terms take them. Then Maryland gets MSU at home in the next week

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF, Minnesota could at least be on the poll

They have a soft schedule, could sneak in the BIG West winners
No. And even in the apocalyptic case that it happens, they aren't beating the winner of the east.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MSU has some decent pieces. They don't return as much as Nebraska or Iowa and they lose the heart of their team. They are receiving the benefit of the doubt based on the past few years ( as you said ) and that's fine. There is no real reason other than that for them to be ranked preseason though. Probably the only area they have more proven talent than Iowa is DL. Hawks have a far more proven QB, OL, secondary, group of RBs. Both teams have questions at WR although Iowa returns more. Could MSU be good again? Abdolutely. But no reason to overran them early imo
Iowa definitely has the edge at QB, but not at RB. MSU returns their top 3 rushers from last year, all of whom gained 500+ yards on the ground. Iowa only has 1 such guy. I'd also take MSU's WRs, but Iowa's TEs. Defensively, I'd give the edge to Iowa, though MSU still has plenty of talent due to recent recruiting success, and you can never count out a Dantonio-coached team. He has as many double-digit win seasons in the last 6 years as Iowa has since the beginning of the century, with only two of those coming in the last decade.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa definitely has the edge at QB, but not at RB. MSU returns their top 3 rushers from last year, all of whom gained 500+ yards on the ground. Iowa only has 1 such guy. I'd also take MSU's WRs, but Iowa's TEs. Defensively, I'd give the edge to Iowa, though MSU still has plenty of talent due to recent recruiting success, and you can never count out a Dantonio-coached team. He has as many double-digit win seasons in the last 6 years as Iowa has since the beginning of the century, with only two of those coming in the last decade.
I won't argue RBS because it's close enough not to. Same with WRS. That said pretty much everything else favors Iowa and you didn't even touch OL where Iowa is a top 3 national unit. I've got no issue with giving MSU respect. I just don't think they're more than a 7 win team this year. We shall see

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some things, that I can not lie about. I hate ohio state. I would have voted against them if they played all preschool teams. Think about it: Would you like me to like ohio state? That is what is wrong with the world, we are taught not to hate and we end up with repressed feelings inside. I hate ohio state because it it in my blood and my soul. I would not root for ohio state, if it meant Michigan going to the National Championship Game. EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!
Sounds like we have a closet Buckeye fan.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Maryland will start 6-0. Hawaii, FIU, UCF, PURDUE, PENN ST, MINNESOTA and the only semi tough road game is at PSU but their offense is going to be so bad I think the Terms take them. Then Maryland gets MSU at home in the next week
Maybe so...it is a new year. I just can't get their performance I watched against West Virginia last year out of my head. Maryland was just awful and looked totally lost.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. And even in the apocalyptic case that it happens, they aren't beating the winner of the east.

It's not possible for MN to win West? good to know. Two years ago we were 30 minutes away from representing in the west. Last year we were hit hard by a tough schedule and lots of injuries

Healthy year, soft schedule, senior QB, I think they can. I wouldn't put them as favorites in the West, but they're not far behind Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska

As to beating the East...yes, probably doubtful. We took Michigan to the wire last year and were inches away from a win. We played tOSHU tough 2 straight years

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't argue RBS because it's close enough not to. Same with WRS. That said pretty much everything else favors Iowa and you didn't even touch OL where Iowa is a top 3 national unit. I've got no issue with giving MSU respect. I just don't think they're more than a 7 win team this year. We shall see
Their OL will be top 3 in the B1G, but not in the nation. They aren't even tops in the B1G. RBs really aren't close with Canzeri gone. WRs are close but MSU has recruited better, including freshman stud Corley coming in this year. As I mentioned, MSU has been a consistent winner now for 6 years (outside of one fluke season). Anything less than 9 wins would be a shock. Also, as I mentioned, Iowa does horrible with expectations. 3 of the last 4 times they've started a season ranked, they've finished unranked.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their OL will be top 3 in the B1G, but not in the nation. They aren't even tops in the B1G. RBs really aren't close with Canzeri gone. WRs are close but MSU has recruited better, including freshman stud Corley coming in this year. As I mentioned, MSU has been a consistent winner now for 6 years (outside of one fluke season). Anything less than 9 wins would be a shock. Also, as I mentioned, Iowa does horrible with expectations. 3 of the last 4 times they've started a season ranked, they've finished unranked.
Eh we will have to agree to disagree then. Some preseason pubs have Iowa's OL as the BEST in the nation. Either way CFB needs to get here!

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh we will have to agree to disagree then. Some preseason pubs have Iowa's OL as the BEST in the nation. Either way CFB needs to get here!
I haven't seen those. I know they're largely regarded as top 10, but aren't they only returning 3/5 starters?

And hell yes it does. Not trying to short-change Iowa, either. I guess I just think it's a lot harder to go against Dantonio than Ferentz based on recent years.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not possible for MN to win West? good to know. Two years ago we were 30 minutes away from representing in the west. Last year we were hit hard by a tough schedule and lots of injuries

Healthy year, soft schedule, senior QB, I think they can. I wouldn't put them as favorites in the West, but they're not far behind Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska

As to beating the East...yes, probably doubtful. We took Michigan to the wire last year and were inches away from a win. We played tOSHU tough 2 straight years
Minn hasn't won more than 8 games since 2003.....13 years ago...and hasn't won 10 or more since 1905. To actually win the conference means that you'll probably need at least 10 or 11 wins. No team has won the B10 outright with less than 10 wins since Michigan in 1992 (not counting Wisconsin getting the nod because of OSU bowl ban). So, I maintain -- no. There's almost no chance Minnesota is good enough to win the division, let alone the conference. They might be good enough to take out a team, but they're not good enough to consistently win.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin

Preview segment: The Wisconsin Badgers

Last season: The fun continues for Wisconsin! For 7 straight seasons, the Badgers have experienced some form of national success, and in 2015 they grabbed another 10-win season. Upsetting USC in the Holiday Bowl was a nice touch, too.
Yet despite all that success, a LOT of people are saying Wisconsin's run of happiness will end in 2016. Wait, WHAT?!

Bad news: Oooo... I see why they're concerned; only 9 total starters return from 2015's team. The secondary could be a worry, and depth at WR is pretty thin. But the biggest worry is at QB; the replacement for steady-winner Joel Stave is not known.

Good news: Corey Clement is back for one more year, and I'll bet the Wisconsin offense are delighted about that. The D-line looks to be mighty once again; LB Vince Biegel is the one to watch.

2016 X-factor: Wisconsin's schedule- All offseason long, CFB experts said that Wisconsin's hard schedule will destroy the Badgers. They were saying "Their QB's can't handle this, don't be surprised if the Badgers get only 6 or 7 wins, blah blah blah...". But for some reason, I can't see that happening.

Key games:
9/3 vs. LSU [at Lambeau Field in Green Bay] (The good news is, this game is really a home game for Wisconsin in disguise. The bad news is, if they don't find a QB before this game, LSU will stomp the Badgers.)
9/24 @ Michigan State (This Big 10 opener will be all about survival for both teams. At least two things will happen in this game: It'll be low-scoring, and the loser will have it's Big 10 hopes pretty damaged.)
10/1 @ Michigan (Ouch! From visiting the Spartans, to facing Jim Harbaugh in Ann Arbor... Now I know why the experts were so worried.)
10/15 vs. Ohio State (Oh boy... Well, at least Wisconsin will get 2 weeks to prep for it, and the game's in Madison! They should be fine...)
10/22 @ Iowa ( :twitch: You gotta be kidding me... Well, it can't get any worse!)
11/5 @ Northwestern (Oooo...)

Bottom line: Like I said earlier, I just can't see Wisconsin falling to the doldrums; they have a good D-line and a good running game. I guess the big question is, is that going to be enough to get through the Big 10 this year? The new Wisconsin QB will go a long way to answering that question.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, this thread's already at 74 messages? Geez!

...OK, new goal. Let's shoot for 200 messages on here, alright?

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minn hasn't won more than 8 games since 2003.....13 years ago...and hasn't won 10 or more since 1905. To actually win the conference means that you'll probably need at least 10 or 11 wins. No team has won the B10 outright with less than 10 wins since Michigan in 1992 (not counting Wisconsin getting the nod because of OSU bowl ban). So, I maintain -- no. There's almost no chance Minnesota is good enough to win the division, let alone the conference. They might be good enough to take out a team, but they're not good enough to consistently win.

Good to know history dictates future

Yes, MN seems to always be a game away from breaking through, but it's not IMPOSSIBLE to think they would B1G West. We've improved our stadium situation, we're building new practice facilities, and have seen small rise, which should lead to better recruits

I dont think we'll ever be consistent threats in the B1G, but I think we can make runs. Again, 30 minutes away from Title game 2 years ago....

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I wouldn't vote for MN either, it would be a huge upset....I think they have a shot in the open West. They'll need to overcome their demons with Wisky and finally get that fucking axe back

But I do think they're in running

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State!....Hopefully they can with a young team

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to know history dictates future

Yes, MN seems to always be a game away from breaking through, but it's not IMPOSSIBLE to think they would B1G West. We've improved our stadium situation, we're building new practice facilities, and have seen small rise, which should lead to better recruits

I dont think we'll ever be consistent threats in the B1G, but I think we can make runs. Again, 30 minutes away from Title game 2 years ago....
Nothing is impossible, but it's just so unlikely there's no reason to put them on the voting list above.

Many things factor into future success. One of them is past success. It's extremely rare, and highly unlikely, that teams who haven't won their conference for 50 years are going to randomly jump up from no where and win it on any given year. We're talking about a 6 win team here that lost 7 games. It's not like the 2016 recruiting class was steller and that boost is expected to lift the program. Or even that Minnesota is extremely talented but just had a terrible coach (see Michigan's improvement from 2014-2015). Minnesota will win 6-8 and might take out one or two teams they weren't expected to beat.