• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our Big 10 preview thread 2016

Who do YOU think will win the Big 10?

• Iowa

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Michigan State

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Northwestern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Wisconsin

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B1G OOC Schedules:

Indiana - @Florida International, vs. Ball State, vs. Wake Forest
Marylandvs. Howard, @Florida International, @Central Florida
Michigan Statevs. Furman, @Notre Dame, vs. BYU
Michigan – vs. Hawaii, vs. Central Florida, vs. Colorado
Ohio State – vs. Bowling Green, vs. Tulsa, @Oklahoma
Penn State – vs. Kent State, @Pittsburgh, vs. Temple
Rutgers - @Washington, vs. Howard, vs. New Mexico

Illinois – vs. Murray State, vs. North Carolina, vs. Western Michigan
Iowa – vs. Miami(Oh), vs. Iowa State, vs. North Dakota State
Minnesota – vs. Oregon State, vs. Indiana State, vs. Colorado State
Nebraska – vs. Fresno State, vs. Wyoming, vs. Oregon
Northwestern – vs. Western Michigan, vs. Illinois State, vs. Duke
Purdue – vs. Eastern Kentucky, vs. Cincinnati, vs. Nevada
Wisconsin – vs. LSU, vs. Akron, vs. Georgia State

P5 Opponents & ND/BYU: 13
FCS Opponents: 8

Projected W/L Record: 33-9 – 79%
Projected W/L Record vs. P5/ND/BYU: 4-8

Projected losses in Bold
Good grief. Maryland must have consulted Baylor regarding OOC scheduling.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the no road games thing is pretty weird
Didn't notice that. All B1G West OOC games are home or neutral site. Good if you can get it I guess.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted for Michigan, definitely not biased (in the spirit of election season I told a kinda truth).

Oh you're being biased alright! Ya should have voted for Ohio State instead.:D

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We usually alternate years home/away. Last year we were in Miami and next year we'll be in Eugene.
But your Huskers are only one of seven. How weird that none of the seven have a single road OOC game.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But your Huskers are only one of seven. How weird that none of the seven have a single road OOC game.
Oh it's strange I know. Just explaining what we are doing. We also have a pretty crappy road conference schedule for some reason.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't notice that. All B1G West OOC games are home or neutral site. Good if you can get it I guess.
Honestly I know at least 3 or 4 teams in the West are getting the home games this year of a few he and away series. Plus Iowa gets ISU at Minnick because they played at ISU last year. Weird they all lined up to happen on the same year though

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh it's strange I know. Just explaining what we are doing. We also have a pretty crappy road conference schedule for some reason.
Seems like that happens a lot with the rotating of "other side" opponents in all conferences. If you guys are getting a break on it, someone else is getting the shaft.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think there's a good chance the B10W is the better division this year. Last year it was really close as the crossover games were about even and there wasn't much to choose from in the title game. B10W returns more starters and more quality QBS this year by quite a bit. Everyone is high on Michigan and OSU but UM has QB questions ( as does MSU, PSU and IU) while OSU has everything else questions.
OSU's "questions" are nothing like the "questions" for nearly every other team in the nation. We're choosing between guys that would be starters on 90-95% of all other college football teams. There's also 0 chance the B1GW is better than the B1GE. There's a reason the top 3 teams in the East are ranked ahead of every team in the West.

Wisconsin is solid but lost some key pieces, including their DC (and downgraded significantly with his replacement).
Iowa is still Iowa, who never, ever does well with expectations.
NW came out and surprised people to start the year and then got brought back to earth in typical NW fashion.
Nebraska can't keep losing heartbreakers, but they're much closer to Penn State's talent level than the top 3 in the East

By season's end, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see 4 ranked teams from the East and 0 from the West. There's also a very strong possibility OSU and michigan are top 10 by season's end. I can't see anyone from the West pulling that off.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh you're being biased alright! Ya should have voted for Ohio State instead.:D

There are some things, that I can not lie about. I hate ohio state. I would have voted against them if they played all preschool teams. Think about it: Would you like me to like ohio state? That is what is wrong with the world, we are taught not to hate and we end up with repressed feelings inside. I hate ohio state because it it in my blood and my soul. I would not root for ohio state, if it meant Michigan going to the National Championship Game. EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU's "questions" are nothing like the "questions" for nearly every other team in the nation. We're choosing between guys that would be starters on 90-95% of all other college football teams. There's also 0 chance the B1GW is better than the B1GE. There's a reason the top 3 teams in the East are ranked ahead of every team in the West.

Wisconsin is solid but lost some key pieces, including their DC (and downgraded significantly with his replacement).
NW came out and surprised people to start the year and then got brought back to earth in typical NW fashion.
Nebraska can't keep losing heartbreakers, but they're much closer to Penn State's talent level than the top 3 in the East

By season's end, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see 4 ranked teams from the East and 0 from the West. There's also a very strong possibility OSU and michigan are top 10 by season's end. I can't see anyone from the West pulling that off.
In general I agree. This is how it will likely play out.

Give me a minute to throw my homer glasses on and paint a little different picture of Nebraska :D
As you said we were close in a lot of games last year, and Riley has a history of jumping up and beating someone he shouldn't. He did it last year with MSU. If Nebraska can turn it around and win those close games (which I expect in pretty much every game except for OSU), it could be an interesting season. Now that is obviously a very optimistic view that I don't expect, but I can at least make that argument :lol:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly, imo, the reason the top 3 teams in the East may be ranked ahead of anyone in the West is purely name. There's a case to be made for OSU and Michigan to be ranked ahead of Iowa but absolutely none for MSU to be. Of course OSU is reloading with extreme talent but that doesn't guarantee chemistry or wins. Anytime you're replacing so much there is reason to be hesitant. I see OSU at 10-2 but they absolutely could be better than that. I don't see much if a shot of them doing worse. Maybe 9-3 is bottom end. Personally I think the East is going to be pretty awful aside from Michigan and OSU. I've actually got Maryland finishing 3rd.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, imo, the reason the top 3 teams in the East may be ranked ahead of anyone in the West is purely name. There's a case to be made for OSU and Michigan to be ranked ahead of Iowa but absolutely none for MSU to be. Of course OSU is reloading with extreme talent but that doesn't guarantee chemistry or wins. Anytime you're replacing so much there is reason to be hesitant. I see OSU at 10-2 but they absolutely could be better than that. I don't see much if a shot of them doing worse. Maybe 9-3 is bottom end. Personally I think the East is going to be pretty awful aside from Michigan and OSU. I've actually got Maryland finishing 3rd.
You do know MSU still has a lot of talent coming back. They've really recruited well recently, and it's hard to not give them the benefit of the doubt at this point. LJ Scott looks like another stud RB for them, they have two 4* guys at QB, both of whom has playing experience. Malik McDowell is the best DL in the league, and they've recruited well elsewhere. They'd be favored to win the West if they were there, and for good reason.

Right now, from a total talent standpoint, OSU clearly is head and shoulders above the rest of the conference, and michigan is a clear second, then you have arguments between MSU, Iowa and Wisconsin. That said, don't sleep on Penn State. Franklin is getting his guys in, as well as his OC. They also have arguably the best offensive backfield in the conference. I wouldn't be shocked to see them have a solid season.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some things, that I can not lie about. I hate ohio state. I would have voted against them if they played all preschool teams. Think about it: Would you like me to like ohio state? That is what is wrong with the world, we are taught not to hate and we end up with repressed feelings inside. I hate ohio state because it it in my blood and my soul. I would not root for ohio state, if it meant Michigan going to the National Championship Game. EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!

You wouldn't be a true Michigan fan if you didn't hate Ohio State. Just like I wouldn't be a true Buckeye fan if I didn't hate the Wolverines.

Damn...I'm ready for the season to start!

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do know MSU still has a lot of talent coming back. They've really recruited well recently, and it's hard to not give them the benefit of the doubt at this point. LJ Scott looks like another stud RB for them, they have two 4* guys at QB, both of whom has playing experience. Malik McDowell is the best DL in the league, and they've recruited well elsewhere. They'd be favored to win the West if they were there, and for good reason.

Right now, from a total talent standpoint, OSU clearly is head and shoulders above the rest of the conference, and michigan is a clear second, then you have arguments between MSU, Iowa and Wisconsin. That said, don't sleep on Penn State. Franklin is getting his guys in, as well as his OC. They also have arguably the best offensive backfield in the conference. I wouldn't be shocked to see them have a solid season.
MSU has some decent pieces. They don't return as much as Nebraska or Iowa and they lose the heart of their team. They are receiving the benefit of the doubt based on the past few years ( as you said ) and that's fine. There is no real reason other than that for them to be ranked preseason though. Probably the only area they have more proven talent than Iowa is DL. Hawks have a far more proven QB, OL, secondary, group of RBs. Both teams have questions at WR although Iowa returns more. Could MSU be good again? Abdolutely. But no reason to overran them early imo

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please splain your thinkin' there Lucy!
I think Maryland has far less questions and they've got some real talent returning at the skill positions. I see them as a 4 or 5 win ( in conference games ) team. I don't see any B10E team other than OSU, MICHIGAN and potentially MSU I'm willing to say that about. PSU will be lucky to score double digits per game, IU will be lucky to hold teams under 40, Rutgers is gonna Rutgers. It'll come down to MSU and Maryland for 3rd and I'll take the team with less questions especially because MSU has a brutal stretch to start league play