• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 10 Preview thread 2021 (and Big 12 predictions, in case you still want them)!

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa

Preview segment: The Iowa Hawkeyes

Last season: Actually pretty good. I mean, it started off a little rocky, but Iowa is now entering this season on a 6-game winning streak.

Good news: Most of Iowa's success last year came from their defense, and most of it is back for 2021. This includes a lethal secondary. On offense, RB Tyler Goodson and improving QB Spencer Petras is a good place to start.

Bad news: Iowa prides itself on great line play, but this year the lines could be the biggest worry. On offense, some new tackles are coming in. And on the defensive side, how much of a pass-rush will it be able to generate?

Key games:
9/4 vs. Indiana (A marquee game between Top 25 teams to start Big 10 play? I'm SO there! This should be a fine test for Iowa's defense to see how good it is right away.)
9/11 @ Iowa State (Then, Iowa will have a reunion with their old in-state rivals. And the Cyclones are LOADED this year. Happily for the Hawkeyes, they have the offense you need to drive Iowa State crazy.)
10/30 @ Wisconsin (This starts a crucial 3-week stretch for Iowa where they could win or lose the Big 10 West. First, they must visit a Wisconsin team that they feasted on last year.)
11/6 @ Northwestern (Last year, Northwestern clipped Iowa 21-20... and took that win all the way to the Big 10 title game.)
11/13 vs. Minnesota (And of course, you can never count P.J. Fleck and the Gophers. But, hey! Iowa hasn't lost at home to Minnesota since 1999!)

Bottom line: The offense has it's weapons, the defense has a stout secondary... but can all that help Iowa get to it's first Big 10 title game since 2015? If both the O-line and D-line keeps it together, I like Iowa's chances.
I don't get the Iowa love if you look at all of their loses on the lines and both starting WR's

But Iowa has proved me wrong before

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the Iowa love if you look at all of their loses on the lines and both starting WR's

But Iowa has proved me wrong before
I don’t either. Iowa has lost major pieces from last year. losing Golston and Nixon from the defense is huge and QB Spencer Petras was god awful. I’m looking at probably 6 (maybe 7) wins this year.