• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - Sixers

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, obviously the Celtics are in more of a win-now mentality with their team. It may be a win-win type of trade in the end, if the Celtics get better immediately and can truly contend for a conference championship against the Cavs but the Sixers have a cornerstone player for a decade.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a good deal for both teams. Fultz gives the Sixers exactly what they needed to add. A bigger Guard who can shoot or create his own shot and play either Guard position to compliment the rest of the main core we currently have. The Celtics on the other hand have solid and deep Guard play and opened up more room to add free agents (what they really want) by trading down two spots. Plus you can argue that Josh Jackson is the better fit for what they need now and got an extra early first to boot. That is unless the Lakers break up the party and take Jackson at 2 :scratch:

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if you've seen him play, but pressing him opens up a lot of bad things for the defense. He's 6'6", with a good wingspan, and has great range. Who is guarding him that he's not going around or shooting over? Combining all of that with an exceptional basketball IQ and I am really not sure what the downside is other than "he has a funny looking shot."

Yes I have seen him play. I would not make posts if I have not. I am just a fan/analyst and my knowledge is limited to be honest. I think he is a good player....very good to be honest and think he can be a stud PG in the NBA. However I don't think he will be a pure shooter. His jumper is horrible IMO. Yes it drops but his setup is going to hinder him in the NBA. Just as Rey said based on his shot he cannot drive to the right. The NBA is different than college. Defense is going to be harder. My only real criticism is his shot. I think Ball is going to be a brilliant PG but I just don't see him filling he role as a pure scorer.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Markelle Fultz
They played each other. Ball had:

22 points (7-12 shooting, 4-7 from 3), 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals

Yeah... he had lots of problems getting his shot off.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the people saying that Lonzo's midrange game sucks...
DCXvJuTUwAAtqf7

And that just proves my point that he either shot from 3 or went to the rim instead of taking a lower percentage 2 point shot. Either way, it's an elite shot chart.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That shot chart would actually scare the crap out of me if I were looking to add Ball. Look at the very low # of "attempts" where he wasn't laying it in (UCLA was a good fast break team) or shooting from deep. Getting shots off at the pro level won't be as easy as it was in college, especially from close range. While it has become a 3 point shooting league, you still need a pick and roll, turnaround shots and mid range game to be a well rounded threat. I will give Ball credit for knowing his limitations and not forcing shots that didn't cater to his strengths.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't have enough guys on the floor that can both score and have the ability to facilitate for others. Fultz/Simmons will be a nice duo moving forward.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have the makings of something special.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, obviously the Celtics are in more of a win-now mentality with their team. It may be a win-win type of trade in the end, if the Celtics get better immediately and can truly contend for a conference championship against the Cavs but the Sixers have a cornerstone player for a decade.
Yes the C's are in a win now mentality because they know, once these kids mature and learn to play together, they won't see a championship series for years. The Sixers have a potential dynasty on their hands.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That shot chart would actually scare the crap out of me if I were looking to add Ball. Look at the very low # of "attempts" where he wasn't laying it in (UCLA was a good fast break team) or shooting from deep. Getting shots off at the pro level won't be as easy as it was in college, especially from close range. While it has become a 3 point shooting league, you still need a pick and roll, turnaround shots and mid range game to be a well rounded threat. I will give Ball credit for knowing his limitations and not forcing shots that didn't cater to his strengths.

Take a look at shot chart for Steph and Klay. It's not all that much different. And it's not about catering to strength. Settling for a midrange shot at 50% doesn't make much sense when you can shoot a 3 at 40% or finish at the rim at an absurd 75%. And with so little midrange shots, exactly how are you coming to the conclusion that he's not good at them? He doesn't have a bad percentage and you obviously don't have many attempts to come to a good conclusion about it.

And if it's so much harder to get shots off from close range in the pros, then Fultz is going to shoot under 50% at the rim.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok sure and Ball was embarrassed on national television in the tourney by Fox. Do you prefer him?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DCXvJuTUwAAtqf7

And that just proves my point that he either shot from 3 or went to the rim instead of taking a lower percentage 2 point shot. Either way, it's an elite shot chart.

Ball sucks so much from midrange that he barely even attempted them. Basically a fifth as much as everyone else.

Fultz made 56% of his straight on 3s?! Holy shit. And he was playing with nobody else on his team.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look at shot chart for Steph and Klay. It's not all that much different. And it's not about catering to strength. Settling for a midrange shot at 50% doesn't make much sense when you can shoot a 3 at 40% or finish at the rim at an absurd 75%. And with so little midrange shots, exactly how are you coming to the conclusion that he's not good at them? He doesn't have a bad percentage and you obviously don't have many attempts to come to a good conclusion about it.

And if it's so much harder to get shots off from close range in the pros, then Fultz is going to shoot under 50% at the rim.

You don't know one way or the other because he stayed away from those situations. When you take a guy in the top 3 who hasn't shown he can do it, it certainly would make me worry. A decent percentage on a very small sample size doesn't tell me much.

As for Fultz, his "team" was not nearly as good as Ball's, so easy fast break buckets like Ball had were not as easily had. Fultz was the main focus of most defenses, so he had to work a lot harder and thus had tougher shots up close.

Last edited:

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DCXvJuTUwAAtqf7

You actually proved the point of everyone that does not want Ball. Based on that chart it is obvious he cannot shoot the spot up jumper that is going to be needed. It is not about percentages. It is about how obvious a weakness it is. My interpretation is that if there is traffic he cannot get the shot off.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And Fultz torched him for 38 in that game. (9-19 shooting, 5-10 3 from 3) 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once this deal is finalized, can we get Embiid to call out Magic Johnson?

Untitled_5.1494985066.png

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving on (as the team won't be drafting Ball)....

Do the Sixers still look to add Lowry, Hill, or Holiday?

Can they recover a future 1st by taking on a big contract from the Lakers? Not sure the Lakers would give up a their '19 1st, but if it gets them in a position to add Paul George+ to Ingram and Ball, then maybe they'd be willing?

The Deng and Mozgov contracts are really, really horrible. I don't think it would be worth it to take the contracts on -- we're going to need that money soon. Let one of the soon-to-be tanking teams do it.