• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - Sixers

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, since Fox ran over Ball and Fultz didn't, then Fox should be the #1 pick. Right?

Over Ball.

Fultz was the only guy on his team. Went 1 against 5 all year long. Still stayed at the top.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like this is the scene from Moneyball where the scouts are saying that one prospect will be good because he looks like a pro player while another one won't be good because he has an ugly girlfriend.

No, it's like the scene from Independence Day when some alien assholes come in and try to rain on Earth's parade. Good thing we get to draft the Fresh Prince.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not arguing that he's a good midrange scorer (although the stats certainly don't show that he is a bad one. they show he's an efficient, low usage midrange player).

I am arguing that he doesn't shoot from midrange because shooting from 3 and at the rim has better value. And that even if he turns out to be bad from midrange, then it is the least important tier of the 3.

Realizing that a midrange shot has the least value should be a positive trait and not looked upon negatively. Steph Curry shot 5 times more 3's than he did midrange shots. There is simply little value in those type of shots when you shoot 40% from 3 and 75% from the rim. What did you want him to do? Pass up a better shot selection for a poorer one?

And it's not like I dislike Fultz or even think the trade was bad. I think Fultz is very good and a great fit for the current team.

I honestly don't know this -- do we know how many of his shots at the rim were on fast breaks? I ask because his incredible shooting percentage at the rim could be deceiving if a huge portion were simply on fast breaks.

As far as the concern over his mid-range game, I think people are concerned that -- if it's because of his shot mechanics -- he won't be able to successfully get off as many 3 pointers in the NBA as he did in college.

He's a good prospect but there appear to be some pretty serious potential flaws to his game.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is because it is a shot he has difficulty getting off. The very low number of mid range shots taken is major alarm for me. To me it shows it is a shot that he has difficulty getting off. I could be wrong but that is how I interpret it. A total of 25 shots taken from mid range is ridiculously low. He does get a lot of layups.......Sixers do not need him making all those layups. His shot chart shows that he is a poor fit for the Sixers

All of that is speculation, but ok.... I can see why you'd say that.

As far as your last statement, I think you're dead wrong. And you especially don't want a player that shoots well from the outside and is a great passer/creator to settle for a midrange shot. You want him to take 3's, get to the rim, or create better opportunities than midrange shots.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the majority of scouts believe he is talented enough and he is willing to work at it, there's no reason to think he can't become a good shooter at some point. Everyone coming into the league has serious flaws in their games.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as your last statement, I think you're dead wrong. And you especially don't want a player that shoots well from the outside and is a great passer/creator to settle for a midrange shot. You want him to take 3's, get to the rim, or create better opportunities than midrange shots.

Your argument makes no sense to me. It is as if you are saying that layups and 3 pointers are the only shots that matter and that is ridiculous.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your argument makes no sense to me. It is as if you are saying that layups and 3 pointers are the only shots that matter and that is ridiculous.
When you shoot 75% at the rim and 40% from 3, then yes... midrange shots are a terrible decision.

Have you looked at the shot breakdown of good shooters/playmakers? Curry, Klay, Kyrie, etc?

It's even a worse decision when you can pass and create. The idea is to take the shot with the best expected value. Those are shots at the rim (because of the higher percentage) or a lightly contested 3 (because it doesn't have a much worse percentage than a 15-20 footer and is worth more points). Take a look at the shooting percentages of Lonzo's teammates. It's because he puts everybody in a position to take a highly efficient shot.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On twitter, this pic was dubbed Mount Trustmore. I like it. And damn Embiid is gigantic.

dckhtd0xcaet30_.0.jpg

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you shoot 75% at the rim and 40% from 3, then yes... midrange shots are a terrible decision.

Have you looked at the shot breakdown of good shooters/playmakers? Curry, Klay, Kyrie, etc?

It's even a worse decision when you can pass and create. The idea is to take the shot with the best expected value. Those are shots at the rim (because of the higher percentage) or a lightly contested 3 (because it doesn't have a much worse percentage than a 15-20 footer and is worth more points). Take a look at the shooting percentages of Lonzo's teammates. It's because he puts everybody in a position to take a highly efficient shot.

It's an especially terrible decision if you can't get your shot off because you're mechanics are all jacked up.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. Although, one of these players is not like the others.
Not that I disagree, but Covington may be one of the most underrated players in the league and a good fit in the starting-5.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors that the Suns are taking Isaac at #4. Boston may be leaning towards Tatum at #3.

Jackson or Fox could fall out of the top 5.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I go to work and I miss all the good bball chatter :)

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors that the Suns are taking Isaac at #4. Boston may be leaning towards Tatum at #3.

Jackson or Fox could fall out of the top 5.

Or possibly Ball, even.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Ball fall past the Lakers, then Ainge is a genius.

I don't think Ainge would want Ball. He needs SG, and forwards. I think he trades down again for more picks to trade for George or Butler.

Anyway, the rumor is that the sixers may be involved in a 3 way deal with Indy, cleve, and we wind up with Kevin Love. Do you like that?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Ainge would want Ball. He needs SG, and forwards. I think he trades down again for more picks to trade for George or Butler.

Anyway, the rumor is that the sixers may be involved in a 3 way deal with Indy, cleve, and we wind up with Kevin Love. Do you like that?

From what I've seen that rumor has no legs -- but that would be a terrible trade. It certainly would not be beyond Colangelo to trade for an overrated veteran that will end up not helping the team win a championship.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you if that was all we needed him for. The problem here is we need him to hit that 2 point mid range jumper. WTF would we need Ball going to the rim all the time when we have Embid in the middle?

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a vid out there on Lo Ball drives to the right where he looks really bad trying to stop and pop. I think it may be part of one of the "negatives" vids out there on youtube if anyone wants to look it up. He actually has to stop his drive and take a hop backwards to make room for his hitch shot since he has to take the ball all the way to the left prior to getting the shot up.