• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - Sixers

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who really cares about this stuff? TC can't come soon enough!

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you Lavar's brother? the kid shot 1-11 from 3 point land in that game and it was note worthy; end of story. I'm not going to sit here and break down Summer League # semantics ... lol.

Hey, you made the post about Lonzo, not me. And then made a claim that Fultz's game wasn't as bad, but brought up nothing to back up your claim.

Apparently it's only cool to make fun of Lonzo around here for a bad performance and shrug off one from Fultz. #analysis

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus. It was a post making fun of not only Lonzo but Lavar Ball and Magic Johnson. And I don't think anyone but you took it to mean that Rey was declaring Lonzo Ball to suck -- just that he had a bad first game and it's kind of funny given that Lavar Ball has constantly talked about how amazing his son is going to be.

I'm not sure I've heard Lavar speak and don't really care what he has to say. Why does everyone else?

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was me. And I suppose that you and Rey will say that Fultz sucks after his game last night, in which he got hurt.

Lonzo isn't missing because he's not getting his shot off. He's had open looks, but has just been off the last two games. I'm also not sure what games or highlights you're watching, but it's laughable that you think he's getting all of his assists by pushing the ball up court. That being said, he definitely likes to push the ball up to give his teammates numbers and/or spacing. I'm not sure why that's a bad thing.

The thing to worry most about Lonzo's debut is that it looks like he has terrible PnR defense (which is how Fox put up such big numbers against him). He literally just started playing defense last year, so I assumed he'd have a big learning curve.

Having said all that, it seems obvious that Fultz will be a better fit with Simmons. Lonzo is way too unselfish. Because Simmons is also very unselfish, the team needs someone to step up and take some shots instead of always looking for the extra pass. Fultz reminds me a lot of Kyrie, which is a good fit on this team. I just hope that Fultz has a better basketball IQ and defense than Kyrie.
He had his 3 blocked, which is one of the concerns that was repeatedly mentioned about his shooting form you dismissed.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, you made the post about Lonzo, not me. And then made a claim that Fultz's game wasn't as bad, but brought up nothing to back up your claim.

Apparently it's only cool to make fun of Lonzo around here for a bad performance and shrug off one from Fultz. #analysis

Go back and re-read ... I said that Fultz had a bad game, but it wasn't epically as bad as Ball's. Players have bad games all the time, but how often do you see a player go 1-11 from 3 point land??? That's what made it epic and post worthy especially after his dad pretty much has him in the HOF already. Moving on :doh:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had his 3 blocked, which is one of the concerns that was repeatedly mentioned about his shooting form you dismissed.

Exactly.

That dude will never get it. He loves him some lonzo balls.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I've heard Lavar speak and don't really care what he has to say. Why does everyone else?

Because we're basketball fans? Leading up to the draft, there was a possibility that the 76ers could take Lonzo Ball. Also leading up to the draft, Lavar Ball was constantly hyping up his son. If you didn't hear anything he said, you must not have been paying attention.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are not sure you ever hear Lavar speak? Sorry but I call bullshit on that one. There is no way you hype Lonzo the way you did and not hear Lavar.....not possible.

I think Lavar is a pompous ass who loves to hear himself speak. He is going to ride his son's coattails until both are irrelevant. I think Lonzo is going to be a stud PG but that is it. He will not be as good as Jason Kidd imo but will still be great. He will be an average at best scorer but brilliant game general.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the kid does well. If my kids were that talented in any sport, I know I would be out promoting them. Hell, I remember pushing them when they were in HS to college coaches. I think Lavar would be fun to have around.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lavar would be a nightmare. I don't have a problem with his hyping his kids. I would expect that of any parent. The big problem with Lavar is that he tends to brag about made up shit like how he would beat MJ one on one and won't shut up about it. He also tends to blame any shortcomings his sons have on something or someone else.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are not sure you ever hear Lavar speak? Sorry but I call bullshit on that one. There is no way you hype Lonzo the way you did and not hear Lavar.....not possible.

I think Lavar is a pompous ass who loves to hear himself speak. He is going to ride his son's coattails until both are irrelevant. I think Lonzo is going to be a stud PG but that is it. He will not be as good as Jason Kidd imo but will still be great. He will be an average at best scorer but brilliant game general.

Call bullshit all you want. I watched the games and looked at the stats. Was I supposed to follow Lavar's twitter? I don't watch ESPN much at all. There is a way to filter out idiots on TV and on the internet (like you can ignore me if you'd like). Even still, I am not sure why people listen to Lavar. I've heard thing second-hand (like reading things online... mainly from people that hate him). I'm guessing it's because they want to hear what idiotic thing he'll say next and then to make fun of him later? Whatever... I don't get it.

I get the criticism that Lonzo won't be an elite scorer. I don't really expect him to be. I also don't think he needs to be with Simmons and Embiid. However, Simmons and Lonzo are both pass-first guys and I understand that the Sixers need one of the two to take a shot more often than not. Yes, Lonzo doesn't create his own shot as much as you'd like to see from a PG, but he sees the game so well that I don't really have an issue with it. I'm a little worried that if Fultz doesn't develop defensively that he will be pretty much what DSJ will be (and I think DSJ is more athletic). The Sixers gave up a future 1st for Fultz and could have picked up a future 1st for DSJ (or Donovan Mitchell, who may have been a really good fit with the current team) or could have possibly worked out a deal that didn't involve giving up much for Lonzo (that was stemming from reports saying that the Lakers may be looking another direction, but who knows what is real with those reports and may not have been feasible). In other words, I was looking for the Sixers to maximize value and not give up future assets if they didn't need to. I'm not sure how that's not being a fan, but whatever. Unlike the initial reports, I do like that the Sixers kept the #1 pick asset the next two years. The Lakers did less than I thought the would in the offseason, so hopefully the Sixers can bink the #1 pick next year and this whole argument will make my stance look stupid.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back and re-read ... I said that Fultz had a bad game, but it wasn't epically as bad as Ball's. Players have bad games all the time, but how often do you see a player go 1-11 from 3 point land??? That's what made it epic and post worthy especially after his dad pretty much has him in the HOF already. Moving on :doh:
Go back and re-read to what I said... and respond how Lonzo's game was worse that Fultz's (as you said). Because of his shooting percentage? Is that all that matters?

Why do people care what his dad said? What does it matter?

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lavar would be a nightmare. I don't have a problem with his hyping his kids. I would expect that of any parent. The big problem with Lavar is that he tends to brag about made up shit like how he would beat MJ one on one and won't shut up about it. He also tends to blame any shortcomings his sons have on something or someone else.

A nightmare for whom? The fans to read/hear? So don't pay attention to what his dad has to say. I think my first post about Lonzo was asking why he was dismissed much around here and if it was because of his dad. You want to bring up his shooting form, his creation off the dribble, or his defense.... fine. Discounting someone because of their dad seems incredibly stupid for a billion dollar franchise. Especially because Lonzo has been spoken very well of from his teammates. It's not like his dad is causing a rift there and I personally get the feeling that Lonzo is more humble than people portray his dad/family as being.

But whatever. I don't think I made a post about Lonzo after the draft, until Rey made a joke of his debut, and have said that Fultz is a good fit for the team. I have some doubts with Fultz's game, but I can say that about anyone in the draft this year.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back and re-read to what I said... and respond how Lonzo's game was worse that Fultz's (as you said). Because of his shooting percentage? Is that all that matters?

Why do people care what his dad said? What does it matter?

Last thing I will post on this topic ... I said that Ball's game was epically bad and Fultz game was bad. When something is "epic" it means that it is memorable. Fultz had a bad game, but there have been thousands of game's where players have shot 3-12 or worse. There are only 3 shooting performances from 3 point land in the HISTORY of the NBA worse than 1-11! Nobody other than you will remember that Fultz had a bad 3rd game of his summer league rookie year ... but I bet you plenty of people will remember Ball's 1-11 from 3 point land. Especially since it may have been the most hyped summer league game of all time where Lavar Ball made a King-Like entrance and hollywood stars lined the front row. Who's game was better or worse between he and Fultz is completely irrelevant as there is zero doubt which performance was "epically" bad and which one was simply bad. This seems to be obvious to everyone except for you for some reason ...

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty encouraging ... kid's really been focused on improving his outside shooting while recovering. Obviously we need to see him do it in a game with D, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't doing this when we first drafted him.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call bullshit all you want. I watched the games and looked at the stats. Was I supposed to follow Lavar's twitter? I don't watch ESPN much at all. There is a way to filter out idiots on TV and on the internet (like you can ignore me if you'd like). Even still, I am not sure why people listen to Lavar. I've heard thing second-hand (like reading things online... mainly from people that hate him). I'm guessing it's because they want to hear what idiotic thing he'll say next and then to make fun of him later? Whatever... I don't get it.

I get the criticism that Lonzo won't be an elite scorer. I don't really expect him to be. I also don't think he needs to be with Simmons and Embiid. However, Simmons and Lonzo are both pass-first guys and I understand that the Sixers need one of the two to take a shot more often than not. Yes, Lonzo doesn't create his own shot as much as you'd like to see from a PG, but he sees the game so well that I don't really have an issue with it. I'm a little worried that if Fultz doesn't develop defensively that he will be pretty much what DSJ will be (and I think DSJ is more athletic). The Sixers gave up a future 1st for Fultz and could have picked up a future 1st for DSJ (or Donovan Mitchell, who may have been a really good fit with the current team) or could have possibly worked out a deal that didn't involve giving up much for Lonzo (that was stemming from reports saying that the Lakers may be looking another direction, but who knows what is real with those reports and may not have been feasible). In other words, I was looking for the Sixers to maximize value and not give up future assets if they didn't need to. I'm not sure how that's not being a fan, but whatever. Unlike the initial reports, I do like that the Sixers kept the #1 pick asset the next two years. The Lakers did less than I thought the would in the offseason, so hopefully the Sixers can bink the #1 pick next year and this whole argument will make my stance look stupid.

I call bullshit because I looked at it from the way I was seeing things. I think I may have listened to a total of 2 min worth of Lavar soundbites. Reading a couple articles on him and listening to just a few seconds turned me off on him. However, I could not turn to ESPN or go to the website and not see something about what Lavar said or did. I was merely responding to the point you made about never hearing him. I find that impossible because from my perspective you appear to be a big Lonzo fan which is cool but there is no way someone can follow Lonzo and not hear Lavar. Just not possible IMO.

Secondly....I never once said you were not a fan. Never even hinted to that fact.

Third.......The Sixers are loaded with talent and need to build around what they have. Fultz was the perfect fit (on paper at least) for the way this team is being built. At some point a team is going to have to give up future resources to put the right peices around the stud players they have. This draft was the perfect time to do so because we had additional resources from previous trades. The Sixers do not need more #1 picks. They need to build a team that can compete. As of this moment the Sixers have 3 #1 overall talents on their team. Yes I know Embiid was #3 but if he would not have been hurt he would have been the #1 pick.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A nightmare for whom? The fans to read/hear? So don't pay attention to what his dad has to say. I think my first post about Lonzo was asking why he was dismissed much around here and if it was because of his dad. You want to bring up his shooting form, his creation off the dribble, or his defense.... fine. Discounting someone because of their dad seems incredibly stupid for a billion dollar franchise. Especially because Lonzo has been spoken very well of from his teammates. It's not like his dad is causing a rift there and I personally get the feeling that Lonzo is more humble than people portray his dad/family as being.

I think Lonzo is a great kid who is humble and only wants to play basketball. His Dad is writing checks he will have to cash. It is easy as a fan to sit back and say don't listen but that obviously is not how it is working out for Lonzo. You can take Embiid's twitter comment about someone dunking on him as proof that Lonzo has a target on his back.

In Philly we have already experienced what nightmare parents can be like and these guys are nothing compared to Lavar Ball. Anyone remember the Lindros parents? They were constant thorn in the side of the Flyers front office. Lavar will be worse they they were. When you have parents like him they can cause a lot of problems if they player does not put a stop to it. If they don't then the teams starts to resent them and it becomes a locker room issue.

Funk

All The Football
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty encouraging ... kid's really been focused on improving his outside shooting while recovering. Obviously we need to see him do it in a game with D, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't doing this when we first drafted him.
To be fair, in practice, NBA players, pretty much all of them, make all their shots from everywhere. Shaq and Dwight Howard were stud FT shooters in practice, everything changes when the game starts. Obviously its nice to see him make 3s, but like you said, he's gotta do it in a game.