• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - Sixers

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Done deal! Trade finalized and will be announced soon.
Yep, I hear Monday. Also I heard it will be a swap of our 3rd for 1 this year, our pick from the Lakers next year, but we keep our Kings pick in '19, and they will get our 1st rounder in 2021 which will be protected. I love this deal guys.:suds:

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, Lakers and Kings pick.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we keep that future SAC pick, keep Saric and we still have our own 1st next season. Man, this team will be damn fun to watch moving forward (health permitting)!

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we keep that future SAC pick, keep Saric and we still have our own 1st next season. Man, this team will be damn fun to watch moving forward (health permitting)!
The Woj disagrees on the Kings.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I hear Monday. Also I heard it will be a swap of our 3rd for 1 this year, our pick from the Lakers next year, but we keep our Kings pick in '19, and they will get our 1st rounder in 2021 which will be protected. I love this deal guys.:suds:

if that is indeed the trade i love the deal as well

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like conflicting reports on compensation. The only "non protected" pick seems to be the Lakers pick for 2018. The Sacramento pick may be involved, "but" with protections.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't put to much into it though. The kid is going through the emotions and he will be fine when it really matters. Can you imagine knowing that in a few days you are about to win the lottery? As long as his medical shows up good, this is going to be a sick back court for years to come.

So, you don't have any reservations about a prospect going through the motions when auditioning for a future employer? Especially when the future employer will be giving up two 1st round picks in order to acquire him.

Sounds like a person that I'd love to employ ;)

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, the Celtics have the Nets pick next year. If the Nets suck again (likely), then the Celtics have the odds to push the Lakers pick back to the 2-5 range. If it falls outside the 2-5 range, then they'll get a good Kings pick in 2019. The Celtics have a shot of getting the next two #1 overall picks.

The only way this works out for the Sixers is if the Lakers get the #1 pick next year.

And I'm still not convinced that Fultz is much better, if at all, than Lonzo.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good deal. Glad to see they aren't giving up both.
You're glad to see that the Sixers will potentially give up a top 5 pick to a conference rival who had the best record in the East last year? Ok.... *shrug*

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're glad to see that the Sixers will potentially give up a top 5 pick to a conference rival who had the best record in the East last year? Ok.... *shrug*
They were going to be giving up a 1st round pick. For a minute it sounded like it might be two. If this is the cat they want, I'm all for it. He's been the consensus #1 pick. Don't know why you'd bother to wonder if Ball is better than him, I'd rather have Fox or Smith over Ball. But none of that matters. Who cares about future picks. Sixers still have a ton. Only thing that matters is Embiid staying healthy.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the only thing that matters is if Embiid stays healthy, then why even make a trade? You'd want to get as many future picks as possible. If he stays healthy, then it's all gravy. If not, you have a huge backup plan. Simmons and Fultz is not nearly enough to contend long-term and without future top-5 picks, the team won't be able to make up for it.

And Fultz is definitely not the consensus #1 pick. Even if he is the majority, then it's not exactly a runaway victory:

DraftExpress - Markelle Fultz DraftExpress Profile: Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

The public perception of Fultz, among some, doesn't quite match up with reality, as it's important to know his starting point, background, and path before dubbing him an eternal stat-stuffer on a losing team'. For the uninformed, the narrative is too easy to fall into - Lonzo Ball, an unselfish, do-it-all winner who took one of the most storied NCAA programs out of the gutter in exciting fashion, versus the talented, yet underwhelming Markelle Fultz, who is another example of the flaws in the one-and-done era. This situation is certainly not that. Not to take anything away from Lonzo Ball, he's a special talent who makes basketball fun and his teammates better, and may very well end up being the best player to come out of this draft. But the narrative too often surrounding Fultz is far from the truth.

Does giving up a potential top-5 pick sounds like a reasonable compensation to move down 2 spots in a talented draft? Especially when top grading sites even admit that Lonzo may be the best player to come out of the draft?

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does giving up a potential top-5 pick sounds like a reasonable compensation to move down 2 spots in a talented draft? Especially when top grading sites even admit that Lonzo may be the best player to come out of the draft?

I have not seen a single draft report anywhere that has Ball rated better than Fultz. On top of that there were no guarantees that Ball was going to drop to 3. If Ball is as good as you think he is there is no way he would have dropped to us at 3

Here is a quote from that very same draft report you linked: "Fultz has more star potential than any player in this draft."

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention that the Celtics obviously didn't want to stay in the #1 slot. They either wanted Jackson (as rumored), to accumulate picks for a trade, or free up cap space to bring in veterans. Again, the Sixers did the Celtics a favor and likely gave up a top-5 pick in the '18 or '19 draft to do so. Being as the Celtics hold the Nets pick next year, they likely have a blocker pick to the Sixers getting the 1st overall.

I guess it's a consolation that Fultz is a good fit for the Sixers and I am definitely a fan, but I wouldn't do this trade.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the trade. I think Fultz is easily the best player in the draft. I am still not sold on Ball. I have major concerns about his jumper at the next level.

LegoDoom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not seen a single draft report anywhere that has Ball rated better than Fultz. On top of that there were no guarantees that Ball was going to drop to 3. If Ball is as good as you think he is there is no way he would have dropped to us at 3
I just quoted a well-regarded draft site that said Ball may wind up being the better player. Does that give you the incentive to trade a future top-5 pick for Fultz? Also, Fultz (and maybe even Ball) aren't good fits on the Celtics. I truly believe they want Jackson or to compete now and trade for Butler.

Ball was 2nd in the NCAA in 2-point FG%, shot 41% from 3-point range, and wasn't playing in meaningless games like Fultz was. He was seriously one of the most efficient scoring NCAA players in history. Not only that, but there is a good chance that his game plays better with Simmons than Fultz (who is a little more ball dominant). Also, I believe the Sixers could have negotiated a much better deal with the Lakers to secure Ball if they wanted to go that route. Taking one of their bad contracts may have even done it.

And I fully am expecting the Lakers to draft Ball. I don't think the dropoff from Fultz to Jackson is worth a potential top-5 pick, either.

The only saving grace from this trade is if the Lakers pick turns out to be #1 next year.