• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Cowboys

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Peterson is a buy low with with 1 or 2 years its just not a wise investment. If Murray isn't coming back Dallas should look to get one in the draft. I'm just not sold on Peterson being the wise investment unless it's more of a benefit to the Cowboys because the line will be long for his services. He won't come here because he wants to be a Cowboy.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowlishaw: NFL devalues RBs, but DeMarco Murray is different and deserves his payday as a Cowboy | Dallas Morning News

On the Dez front, is it a fair question to ask, "If Bryant is so important to the Cowboys offense, then why was he so in-frequently targeted during the last 3 games?"

Would have to ask Tony and Linehan about that one. My best guess is that Romo was under pressure a lot and didn't want to force throws into coverage. Romo actually took sacks that he used to just throw the ball up for grabs in the past.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Peterson is a buy low with with 1 or 2 years its just not a wise investment. If Murray isn't coming back Dallas should look to get one in the draft. I'm just not sold on Peterson being the wise investment unless it's more of a benefit to the Cowboys because the line will be long for his services. He won't come here because he wants to be a Cowboy.

I kind of hope that Gurley's injury will knock him back to around the third round. He would be a great draft pick in the third.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of hope that Gurley's injury will knock him back to around the third round. He would be a great draft pick in the third.

Everything I've kind of heard and read is that both Gordon and Gurley would be first rounders and not even be on the table by the time Dallas picks. I have heard that this draft has a pretty good collection of RB's so a good 3rd or 4th rounder could be there as well.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would have to ask Tony and Linehan about that one. My best guess is that Romo was under pressure a lot and didn't want to force throws into coverage. Romo actually took sacks that he used to just throw the ball up for grabs in the past.

Thanks for the help. And how typical of you.

All I know is everyone - this site/media/team/Dez himself - all seem to think he's an elite receiver, and one of the best in the game. Yet in the last 3 games of the year he was targeted less than 15% of the time. And those last 3 games are supposed to be the time when players show their greatness and catapult themselves into the elite category IMO.

Know this sounds like I'm knocking Bryant. But I'm not trying to do this as much as just raise a discussion point. To me it's concerning.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All I know is everyone - this site/media/team/Dez himself - all seem to think he's an elite receiver, and one of the best in the game. Yet in the last 3 games of the year he was targeted less than 15% of the time. And those last 3 games are supposed to be the time when players show their greatness and catapult themselves into the elite category IMO.

Know this sounds like I'm knocking Bryant. But I'm not trying to do this as much as just raise a discussion point. To me it's concerning.
Lot of catches and yards by Whitten and Williams because tight coverage on Dez. I think that was always the game plan and exemplifies the importance of having an elite receiver like Dez. I heard Tony say he was going to throw to the open receiver. That's my take on it.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, it's pretty simple. In those last 3 games, teams were blitzing with 5-6 and blanketing Dez with double coverage while jamming him at the line. They were going to force Tony Romo to make a play and find one of his "lesser" targets like Witten, Beasley, and Williams. Those 3 all had big games while Dez made big plays here and there. As DT said, that is one perk of having an elite WR.

While I really like Murray and think he is a terrific RB, I also wonder just how much of his success was due to their amazing O-line. Both Randle and Dunbar broke off huge runs as well behind that line. Maybe they're not as quick with their cuts as Murray, and I'm not suggesting they are as good as him. But I think downgrading to one of them or another RB from elsewhere wouldn't hurt the overall offensive attack as much as losing Dez would. Let it also not be forgotten that Murray is prone to fumbling and injury while Dez is neither.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He and Tony work really well together. Romo throws it up and Dez goes and gets it. They didn't have the luxury of a lot of single man coverage on Dez, so they had to use him when they could. Dez made some pretty important plays though. That big conversion vs the Lions where he made the LB miss and carried the ball down to around the 10 is one that comes to mind.

Look at the Packers number one receiver in that game. Jordy Nelson had 98 receptions for over 1500 yards in the regular season. Dallas only allowed him to 2/22 in the playoff game. Their slot receiver Cobb and a rookie Adams did all their damage.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He and Tony work really well together. Romo throws it up and Dez goes and gets it. They didn't have the luxury of a lot of single man coverage on Dez, so they had to use him when they could. Dez made some pretty important plays though. That big conversion vs the Lions where he made the LB miss and carried the ball down to around the 10 is one that comes to mind.

Look at the Packers number one receiver in that game. Jordy Nelson had 98 receptions for over 1500 yards in the regular season. Dallas only allowed him to 2/22 in the playoff game. Their slot receiver Cobb and a rookie Adams did all their damage.

First off, you're talking about a single game where I'm comparing 3. Huge difference.

Secondly, Cobb is a terrific receiver. Soon to be elite one actually.

I'm not dishing on Dez. But it does concern me that for extended periods he can go without making big plays. In those last 3 games he was targeted less than 15% of the time, caught only 9 balls (ten counting the catch which wasn't), about 120 yds and I don't think a TD. Those are pedestrian numbers, no matter who'd doing the measuring.

It seems we always hear so much about "in big games, is when the stars shine brightest" and although it's a small sample size, Dez's star hasn't shown much in big games.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

First off, you're talking about a single game where I'm comparing 3. Huge difference.

Secondly, Cobb is a terrific receiver. Soon to be elite one actually.

I'm not dishing on Dez. But it does concern me that for extended periods he can go without making big plays. In those last 3 games he was targeted less than 15% of the time, caught only 9 balls (ten counting the catch which wasn't), about 120 yds and I don't think a TD. Those are pedestrian numbers, no matter who'd doing the measuring.

It seems we always hear so much about "in big games, is when the stars shine brightest" and although it's a small sample size, Dez's star hasn't shown much in big games.

Nothing I said disparaged Cobb. He's a hell of an athlete. I just mentioned their number 1 guy got less targets and their 2nd and 3rd options picked up the slack.

It was Dez' first time in a playoff though. Not worried about him at all. I kinda figure all the games in the NFL are big since they only get 16 of them a year.

With the kind of passion and drive the dude brings I expect him to get better every year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing I said disparaged Cobb. He's a hell of an athlete. I just mentioned their number 1 guy got less targets and their 2nd and 3rd options picked up the slack.

It was Dez' first time in a playoff though. Not worried about him at all. I kinda figure all the games in the NFL are big since they only get 16 of them a year.

With the kind of passion and drive the dude brings I expect him to get better every year.

I didn't say you did; regarding Cobb. But again, you mention A game, when I'm talking multi. And in any particular game, this is exactly what's supposed to happen, if you expect to have a good team.

But tell me this, how can you use those two sentences, one sentence apart, in your 2nd paragraph? Makes little sense rev....honestly.

You're kidding yourself if you think all games are created equally. The bigger the game, the more pressure applied, and those who respond get noticed; those who don't get noticed too. Maybe more.

6 catches in 2 big playoff games - make no mistake, the playoffs are BIG - aren't a bell-ringer.

Again, I'm not making any case for "we shouldn't sign Dez long term, we shouldn't franchise Dez, we don't need/want Dez with the Boys long term, etc." What I am saying is, it's a little cause for concern; perhaps more.

We'll see, won't we?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it was like the playoffs for every game after the Thanksgiving Day loss. We had to figure we lose 1 game in December and we are out. So with that in mind Dez against Chicago had 6/82/0TDs, Philly he torched in their stadium for 6/114/3TDs, Colts 5/73/1TD, and Redskins 4/99/2TDs for a December finish of 21/368/6TDs. Like it was said against Detroit had 3 catches for 48 yards but the 43 yarder was huge as he broke a tackle that would have stopped them short of the 1st down and Romo only threw it his way those 3 times and then GB 3/38 but Romo only threw it his way 4 times and the one miss was the controversial one in which I think he made an unbelievable play.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it was like the playoffs for every game after the Thanksgiving Day loss. We had to figure we lose 1 game in December and we are out. So with that in mind Dez against Chicago had 6/82/0TDs, Philly he torched in their stadium for 6/114/3TDs, Colts 5/73/1TD, and Redskins 4/99/2TDs for a December finish of 21/368/6TDs. Like it was said against Detroit had 3 catches for 48 yards but the 43 yarder was huge as he broke a tackle that would have stopped them short of the 1st down and Romo only threw it his way those 3 times and then GB 3/38 but Romo only threw it his way 4 times and the one miss was the controversial one in which I think he made an unbelievable play.
Nice summation and in GB his threat opened up the passing game elsewhere proving the elite respected player he is.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Great post there young man.

I seem to be more "pessimistic" about Dez most. Perhaps I should tone it down some.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's GB and ? in the sb.