• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Cowboys

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Far bigger risk bringing in AP than Murray. There's no way you can just plug in any RB and expect the same results. You don't get 1800+ yards in a season by accident. He is a great RB that can read the blitz, and catch the ball as well. That's not easy to find. Murray did not break down as the season went on as defenses more times than not stacked the box and and wanted to do anything to stop Murray and the run game. Also need to keep in mind that Murray hasn't played just a whole lot in his career because he's been injured. Murray will be fine for the next few years at least as he's only 26. Far bigger risk to get AP not to mention his mammoth salary and I think it's only fair for this core group to remain intact and stay together for another run or two while Romo's window is still there.

AP would excel with this Oline. To say he wouldn't is ridiculous IMO. I just don't think Murray is coming back. I'm not alone either. A lot of Cowboy insiders feel the same. I like Murray, don't get me wrong, but he leaves a lot of yards out there. Instead of trying to take it to the house when he reaches the second level, he seeks out a defender. This is Murrays first big year. It's no coincidence that it's also his contract year. I don't trust him to stay healthy and never have.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Far bigger risk bringing in AP than Murray. There's no way you can just plug in any RB and expect the same results. You don't get 1800+ yards in a season by accident. He is a great RB that can read the blitz, and catch the ball as well. That's not easy to find. Murray did not break down as the season went on as defenses more times than not stacked the box and and wanted to do anything to stop Murray and the run game. Also need to keep in mind that Murray hasn't played just a whole lot in his career because he's been injured. Murray will be fine for the next few years at least as he's only 26. Far bigger risk to get AP not to mention his mammoth salary and I think it's only fair for this core group to remain intact and stay together for another run or two while Romo's window is still there.

AP's salary would not come with him. The Vikings have to release him and they would be responsible. He would sign a new deal here. He's said he wants to be a Cowboy. We shall see.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the OC there now so I imagine he got enough of a pay raise to warrant his move. Plus he was demoted from the OC duties and when other teams called for his availability last off season the Cowboys rejected him speaking to other teams. I imagine while there probably wasn't any bad blood between the two I think if given the chance Callahan wanted to move on.

He took the same gig over there. He's the OL coach. They gave him a lucrative deal supposedly. I haven't seen the numbers.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AP's salary would not come with him. The Vikings have to release him and they would be responsible. He would sign a new deal here. He's said he wants to be a Cowboy. We shall see.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Petersen with a star on his helmet. I am not sure Jerry hasn't already made him a contract offer under the table. I am still pissed off at him for what he did to his boy, but he has to make amends and make it right with his son and he's the one that will have to live with it if he doesn't. I think he has at least 3 good years left in his body.

Murray isn't going to accept the contract the Cowboys offer so he will either be franchised or gone. Depending on whether they tag Dez or pay the man.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Line forms to the left for his services. Sure he wants to be a Cowboy but he will ultimately go where the money is. He will not be cheap even with Minnesota cutting him.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AP would excel with this Oline. To say he wouldn't is ridiculous IMO. I just don't think Murray is coming back. I'm not alone either. A lot of Cowboy insiders feel the same. I like Murray, don't get me wrong, but he leaves a lot of yards out there. Instead of trying to take it to the house when he reaches the second level, he seeks out a defender. This is Murrays first big year. It's no coincidence that it's also his contract year. I don't trust him to stay healthy and never have.

Again you're assuming he'll be the same AP when he comes back. He'll be approaching the wrong side of 30 and he hasn't played in a year including the workload he's had his career. Murray has been good RB his whole time here. It's just that he's been super healthy and it showed what he can do when he's healthy and combined that has a really good OLine in front of him.

Between the two I'll take my chances on Murray in a heartbeat or you'll have to take a flyer on a late round RB in the draft and hope he produced anything close to Murray but certainly wouldn't bet on it because the Cowboys drafting anything other defense in the draft will be rather foolish unless there's special circumstances which we can't predict.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Petersen with a star on his helmet. I am not sure Jerry hasn't already made him a contract offer under the table. I am still pissed off at him for what he did to his boy, but he has to make amends and make it right with his son and he's the one that will have to live with it if he doesn't. I think he has at least 3 good years left in his body.

Murray isn't going to accept the contract the Cowboys offer so he will either be franchised or gone. Depending on whether they tag Dez or pay the man.

If I heard correctly today the tag would be around 9 million for Murray. I'm not interested in them doing that at all. I'd rather upgrade the DL in FA and let Randle or a draftee take the ball.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again you're assuming he'll be the same AP when he comes back. He'll be approaching the wrong side of 30 and he hasn't played in a year including the workload he's had his career. Murray has been good RB his whole time here. It's just that he's been super healthy and it showed what he can do when he's healthy and combined that has a really good OLine in front of him.

Between the two I'll take my chances on Murray in a heartbeat or you'll have to take a flyer on a late round RB in the draft and hope he produced anything close to Murray but certainly wouldn't bet on it because the Cowboys drafting anything other defense in the draft will be rather foolish unless there's special circumstances which we can't predict.

We are both assuming. You're assuming Murray will stay healthy and be productive enough to earn the 7-8 M he's likely to get on the market.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are both assuming. You're assuming Murray will stay healthy and be productive enough to earn the 7-8 M he's likely to get on the market.

Absolutely nothing is a given but for me personally I'll take my chances on a 26 year old with one year of a heavy load vs a 30 year with several years of being the guy with a heavy load. If you're not willing to pay 7-8 million for a top end RB then you can forgot AP coming here but I'm willing to bet he'll get that money if not exceed that.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely nothing is a given but for me personally I'll take my chances on a 26 year old with one year of a heavy load vs a 30 year with several years of being the guy with a heavy load. If you're not willing to pay 7-8 million for a top end RB then you can forgot AP coming here but I'm willing to bet he'll get that money if not exceed that.

Not for Murray, and neither are the Cowboys. At least that's what Spags and Fisher have been saying. It will be an interesting off-season for sure. I'm excited they got the coaching staff locked up. I really thought Rod was leaving.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for Murray, and neither are the Cowboys. At least that's what Spags and Fisher have been saying. It will be an interesting off-season for sure. I'm excited they got the coaching staff locked up. I really thought Rod was leaving.

I thought Rod would stay, but thought Callahan and Linehan would be gone. Glad they will have the consistency of Garrett, Scott and Rod still around

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys don't need Murray as much as people think. The Cowboys offensive line is the real gem, if I was jason Garrett I'd draft TJ Yeldon out of Bama. That kid is a very physical runner from a pro style offensive scheme and he's attainable in the second or third round. Dez Bryant must be retained and franchised if necessary.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are only able to keep either Dez or Murray who do you keep? I think I have to say we keep Dez because the O-Line can help take care of the run game. I feel Dez has really come on as a player.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are only able to keep either Dez or Murray who do you keep? I think I have to say we keep Dez because the O-Line can help take care of the run game. I feel Dez has really come on as a player.

they will get Dez covered first but i think they also work a deal with DeMarco and it will be cheaper than what it would cost to sign AP

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Romo and the Cowboys had two of the league’s most dynamic offensive weapons at their disposal in 2014, with Dez Bryant leading the NFL in receiving touchdowns and DeMarco Murray running away with the rushing title. However, both players are eligible for free agency this offseason, and owner Jerry Jones acknowledged yesterday that it’s unlikely both of them return to the team.

“Is it possible [to re-sign both players]? Yes,” Jones said, per DallasCowboys.com. “But if you just look at it from the standpoint of dollars and cents, it probably doesn’t look reasonable.”

Considering Jones has stated in the past that the Cowboys intend to keep Bryant around by any means necessary, including the franchise tag, that doesn’t bode particularly well for Murray’s future with in Dallas. We heard earlier this week that the league’s leading rusher appeared likely to reach the open market.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm a good RB and seeing what is happening to RBs in the NFL now, I'd be coming down with some mysterious injuries throughout the season to prevent me from experiencing what DeMarco Murray in now experiencing.

Teams are totally beating their RBs to death, and then the runners have little hope of financially capitalizing on what they've produced.

Very unfair system and trust me, a guy like Jim Brown would've called a halt this unfairness.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm a good RB and seeing what is happening to RBs in the NFL now, I'd be coming down with some mysterious injuries throughout the season to prevent me from experiencing what DeMarco Murray in now experiencing.

Teams are totally beating their RBs to death, and then the runners have little hope of financially capitalizing on what they've produced.

Very unfair system and trust me, a guy like Jim Brown would've called a halt this unfairness.
Agree completely. I.E. Oilers and Earl Campbell

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jason La Canfora and it would not surprise us if Jones did this:
"Elsewhere in the NFL, Jerry Jones has said it will be difficult to retain both Dez Bryant and DeMarco Murray next season. Whether this is true or simply just contractual posturing is unknown, but La Canfora expects Bryant to be back with the Cowboys, even if it comes via a franchise tag.
But Murray? That could get interesting.
“I think the elephant in the room is Adrian Peterson,” La Canfora said. “If (Jones) feels like he’s able to buy low on Adrian Peterson and he’s reinstated, they’ve got their eye on that situation. Murray would make the case, ‘I should be making what LeSean McCoy and some of these guys are making – or at least close to it.’ They’re not offering anything close to that. I think they’ll continue to slow-play that. If somebody blows Murray out of the water early in free agency, then so be it. I think they feel like with their offensive line and their quarterback and some of their their weapons there that he’s replaceable. If you can buy low on Adrian Peterson – and he’s a more physical back than Murray – just watch out for that one.”

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a double edged sword, to be deemed an every down back you have you have to get your ass beat to get paid, and then when it's time to get paid, you're not going to last much longer

But if you take plays off or you don't play every down you won't get paid as much bc you're not an every down back

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a double edged sword, to be deemed an every down back you have you have to get your ass beat to get paid, and then when it's time to get paid, you're not going to last much longer

But if you take plays off or you don't play every down you won't get paid as much bc you're not an every down back

Murray produced beyond any reasonable expectations and now all anyone wants to talk about is how his production dropped in the last 6 games of the year, or how RB's who carried the ball so much aren't ever the same in their careers.

I understand the financial apprehension from the teams perspective. But it's the same teams alliance on this RB which got them into position to be successful in the first place.

Honestly, I don't understand why the Cowboys, or any team actually, would sacrifice a player for a season, when if you do things right over the long haul (see Steelers/Cowboys/Niners), both team & player mutually benefit.