• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching a documentary that said that lobster was originally the poor fisherman's food because no one else wanted it. Then tourists started showing up and they convinced the tourists it was a delicacy so they bought that, leaving better tasting fish for them.

No idea if it's true but funny.
Sushi is exactly the same. Started as a working class food in the Japanese port cities before someone realized they could charge people way more money if they didn't cook the fish first.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a job interview the other day. Another web interview. Being interviewed via video makes it hard to stand out so I tried a different tactic this time.
First I logged in about a minute late and looked kind of rushed. I apologized for being late and explained that I mentor inner city kids, showing them there are ways to avoid crime and drugs. I also teach them valuable real world skills. After I said this I panned out showing them my mentee Carlos (actually Jack, a neighborhood kid from down the street) sitting in front of a milk crate with three playing cards on it. This makes it obvious I have been teaching him 3 Card Monte. Then I apologized again but said I feel compelled to give back. After that we talked about the job I was applying for for a few minutes. I think it went well. Hopefully I will hear something this week. If I get the job Jack gets $20.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was watching a documentary that said that lobster was originally the poor fisherman's food because no one else wanted it. Then tourists started showing up and they convinced the tourists it was a delicacy so they bought that, leaving better tasting fish for them.

No idea if it's true but funny.
Oh yeah Lobster was fed to prisoners, slaves and other peasant workers with no money.

The one misconception is the fact they are being called bottom feeders. In theory yes they are but don't feed off of other dead fish or fish waste (detrivores).

Actually:

American lobsters - feed on mollusks, fish, algae, other crustaceans, and other lobsters in extreme circumstances.
European lobsters - feed on worms, crabs, starfish, algae, and zooplankton.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mom and middle brother ( call him Cook Fudge) are having a conversation...

MF: We are going to 40th wedding anniversary.

CF: I'm going to Vegas for my 40th birthday.

MF: When's that?

Their two years apart. Anniversary is 2023 and his birthday is 2025

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sushi is exactly the same. Started as a working class food in the Japanese port cities before someone realized they could charge people way more money if they didn't cook the fish first.
Yah i think pretty much every cuisine/cultural group has its peasant foods that have turned “gourmet”. As far an italian shitty one mine is 100% radicchio … knock yourself out i guess … eat weeds straight out of the garden.

in the category of good co-opted peasant foods i will drop Polenta which is just cornmeal :noidea:

and in the category of “we’re not even gonna hide the fact this is trash by changing the italian name because dummies will still overpay for it” is the italian peasant soup called “Acquacotta” … translated … “cooked water”

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and in the category of “we’re not even gonna hide the fact this is trash by changing the italian name because dummies will still overpay for it” is the italian peasant soup called “Acquacotta” … translated … “cooked water”
IPjJYn0LUauHjA_ToDHdAtWmmfqcThrh9KL307T3HRQ.jpg

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knock at the door. I answer it - "Hello we are here to tell you about our lord and sav-"

I hold my hand up and give them the "shush". Point to the "No soliciting" sign.

"Oh we're not selling anything, we just want to spread the word abou-"

Shush them again. "Were you invited to my property?"

"No, but-"

SHUSH. "You have ten seconds to get off my property before I release the dogs."

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are selling your twisted views.

People don't understand the meaning of solicit. It isn't just about selling. Ideas are solicited too.

Last edited:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Knock at the door. I answer it - "Hello we are here to tell you about our lord and sav-"

"No, but-"

SHUSH. "
in college some JW's knocked on the door one morning while i was very, very hungover, most likely still drunk.
I was taking philosophy courses at the time, so figured what the fuck. I invited them in to chat.
cracked a morning beer while we sat around the table and I had them try to explain to me why their bible is correct out of all the options.
why are there so may bibles even within one sector of religion?
Do you think it's god's will that people die and kill over interpretation of those differences? that's pretty fucked up.
why their god was true, negating India's thousands of gods.
wasn't god just a social construct so could be anything that you wanted?

I had a quite enjoyable time, and they never came to that house again.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in college some JW's knocked on the door one morning while i was very, very hungover, most likely still drunk.
I was taking philosophy courses at the time, so figured what the fuck. I invited them in to chat.
cracked a morning beer while we sat around the table and I had them try to explain to me why their bible is correct out of all the options.
Do you think it's god's will that people die and kill over interpretation of those differences? that's pretty fucked up.

My brother in law did something similar to that with a couple of mormon missionaries who came to his door in seattle area, debated them a bit, but it went off the rails when he asked about their “special underwear” :noidea:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"No, but-"

SHUSH. "You have ten seconds to get off my property before I release the dogs."
I had the Jesus Christ of the Latter day saints show up at the door. I naturally had to engage them because it is fun.
As they completed their dissertation asked if I believe if Jesus is real and still here?

My response to them was "Yeah he cuts my grass every Thursday".
At the point when I made that comment, they actually said thanks and walked away.

One item of understanding the setting, I had this conversation with them while drinking a bottle of beer. This was during the afternoon on a weekday, yeah I did this on purpose since they came to my door.

NOTE: I wasn't rude and did offer them a beer, but they declined.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey I just read your comment and I see great minds think alike! :suds:

Status
Not open for further replies.