• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coach K, the Teacher

Hard2Bluff

Beer Consumer
Hoopla Cash
$ 263.81
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Krzyzewski, Teacher
By C.M. Tomlin on ©December 23rd, 2016 @ 7:00pm

Posted in Funkhouser, Main | 11 Responses

[Grayson Allen’s suspension] gives me time as a teacher to teach…As a teacher, these are kids, I’ll look at it…it’s a learning experience and I’m going to use that and as a teaching moment…He won’t play until I feel good about the entire situation and where he is at, that’s my responsibility as a coach and as a teacher of young men.”
-Mike Krzyzewski discussing Grayson Allen’s “indefinite suspension” on Dan Patrick’s radio show

———-

Duke Head Coach Mike Krzyzewski has long been known as a die-hard defender of his players, and his appearance on Dan Patrick’s show Thursday was no different in light of the suspension of Grayson Allen after yet another tripping incident. Some might even suggest that Coach K’s insistence upon being such a good teacher has left some of his players to falter. Take, for instance, the following examples:

———

On Allen’s similar tripping of FSU’s Xavier Ranthan-Mayes in Feb. 2016:
“Look, you know, as a teacher you take these kinds of moments seriously, you don’t want to miss an opportunity to teach a young man like Grayson to become a stronger person and player for it, and as a teacher that’s what I’ll do.”

On telling Oregon forward Dillon Brooks he’s “too good of a player to be showing off” after a Sweet 16 loss to the Ducks:
“I, you know, just wanted to use that as a teaching moment for Brooks. As a teacher I recently attended a seminar with other teachers in February at the New Bern Ramada about empowering students to have healthy confidence and I was just trying to pass along some of the new techniques of ‘grounding encouragement’ I learned during that very informative weekend. It’s my duty as a teacher to do that.”

On Krzyzewski’s failing to shake hands of Syracuse players after a two-point loss in January:
“I had a lot on my mind, you know? As a teacher, I had been up until 4 a.m. the night before doing lesson plans. The upcoming week is what I always call “Inventors Week,” and I like the students to not only learn about famous inventors but I like it to be interactive, you know? That’s why I have them make their own inventions. I think they like it a lot. Anyway, I was thinking about that. As a teacher, you never stop caring.”

On Duke’s 2014 NCAA loss to Mercer:
“Listen. I’m a teacher, okay? And I realize that basketball is important to Duke University, but you know what? So is trying to get the VCR from another teacher in the Humanities Building so I can show my students A Separate Peace after we just finished the unit. I signed up for that VCR a month ago and he’s kept it for too long. He’s not even using it. There need to be better rules about how you check out audio-visual equipment for classroom use. It needs to be discussed at the faculty meeting, I’ll tell you that much.”

On an NCAA investigation into forward Lance Thomas’ exorbitant jewelry purchasing 2010:
“I’m pleased that the investigation is over because as a teacher I have more to worry about than jewelry. Tomorrow is crazy hat day, and the kids always crack up when I come in wearing this hilarious hat I own. No, I’m not going to tell you what it is; it’s a secret. But trust me, when they see their teacher wearing it they always just lose it. I love those moments. I love teaching.”

On a technical foul during Duke’s loss to Virginia in the ACC Tournament in 2014:
“Sometimes I get mad. I do. I admit it. And I don’t like it when these players see their teacher get that mad. But I think a lot of that tension is relieved when these guys see their teacher put on sunglasses and a big fake necklace when all the teachers get together and make a funny rap filled with inside jokes and perform it for the students on the last day of school. Then we’re all laughing, and they see that their teacher is a human being. He gets mad, sure, but he also creates teaching moments. And he also can have fun too.”

On a 74-47 loss to Clemson in 2009:
“Sure, it’s a bad loss. But you know what else is bad? When your students come in on the first day of school and maybe they’re nervous; maybe they don’t think they’re going to make new friends. That’s why then, on the bulletin board, they see a funny squirrel and guess what? Each of their desks has an acorn with their name on it. Next thing you know they’re laughing, meeting new classmates. As a teacher, it’s my job to make them comfortable, make them unafraid and create these teaching moments. It’s the most important thing I do at Duke University.”

Mike Krzyzewski, Teacher | Kentucky Sports Radio

Hard2Bluff

Beer Consumer
Hoopla Cash
$ 263.81
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
coach-k.jpg

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dillion brooks incident was coach k being butt hurt that his team got schooled. Any other excuse is bs. Almost every gm I watch (too many) teams shoot the bball if there is a difference between the shot clock and gm clock. No teaching moment was needed. I'd love to see a coach pull one of k's players to the side after a gm