• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Opening Day: Indians @ Mariners 3/29/18 - 4/1/18

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think that Felix has finally admitted his mortality to himself, and has done something about it. From his health, to his approach, and everything in between. I've always felt that he could have an extended career well beyond 30, but it was gonna take himself looking in the mirror to realize father of time is undefeated and maybe just maybe his time was starting to come to an end.

I loved what I saw from him yesterday, and if that's any indication of what we can expect moving forward we may very well be in for a better than expected season.
That would be so nice to see-if Felix was the "king" again this season. It would be a real shot in the arm for the whole team no doubt. Maybe, just maybe, there may be hope for this team after all????

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lower level? I grabed a ticket in 249 and had a great view. Bar and food right behind me.

First opening day was fun. Hate that we have a 44 year old starting in LF but I won't deny there were some serious chills when Ichiro was announced.

Bought the tickets a few days before. I was in section 150 I believe, row 40. Couldn't see shit past all the signs people hold up. The only other tickets were located in the right field upper deck and were only $20 cheaper than the ones in the King's Court so I figured we might as well just get the ones in the King's Court.

Now that I think about it, I should've probably checked Stubhub or something. Did it directly off the Mariners website. Dumb move on my part. I normally just get tickets in the club level from a friend who works for the Mariners. It's nice because they're normally like $60-$70 tickets I believe and I get them for around $10-$20 from him.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think that Felix has finally admitted his mortality to himself, and has done something about it. From his health, to his approach, and everything in between. I've always felt that he could have an extended career well beyond 30, but it was gonna take himself looking in the mirror to realize father of time is undefeated and maybe just maybe his time was starting to come to an end.

I loved what I saw from him yesterday, and if that's any indication of what we can expect moving forward we may very well be in for a better than expected season.

Hopefully you're right. That Lookout Landing article I posted seems to argue that Felix has changed his approach a bit. I recall him saying something in the offseason that he didn't need to make any changes which actually really bothered me/irritated me that he'd let his hubris get in the way of being a decent pitcher.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random complaint:

I'm unsure if this will be applying for the entire year, or if it was just because it was opening day, but Safeco raised their prices on craft beer. Last year it was $12, now it's $13.

Yes it may just be a dollar increase, but the price was already so absurd to begin with I don't think they have much right raising the prices.

Over the years I've become a beer snob and never order light beers or anything from a can/bottle when there are better options, but I'm about ready to just start drinking cheaper beers due to the outrageous cost of beer in the stadium.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inability to add on? Against Kluber? The reigning Cy Young? Add on would’ve been a hard task. Let see how they progress first.

Even more impressive with Haniger going 3 for 3 from the plate against a guy like, Kluber...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the rule and all that, but when that ball brushes Chisenhalls baggy ass pants did he not look like a little bitch trying to get the call? I'm sorry, brushing your pants because they are too baggy shouldn't qualify as a HBP. I don't wish for permanent injury, but I hope he gets beaned on Saturday.

True... especially since he had 2 strikes on him... Hope he gets sent a message next game...

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's get something out of the way early....

The bullpen is going to give up runs. They're going to give up leads. They're going to lose games. All of those things are inevitable and they also apply to all 30 teams in the league. No bullpen, no matter how good they turn out to be, is immune from having those things happen. Closers, even the exceptionally great ones, also give up runs and leads. It happens. Let's try not to dwell on the pen giving up one run last night or on Diaz having to wriggle out of trouble in the 9th. It's going to happen again. I would prefer if it didn't happen often, but it's not a concern to me at this point.

That's all well and true, however the Mariners have been top 5 in blown saves the last 3 seasons including tied for most in MLB last year. Over that span they have averaged 6 more blown saves per year than the AL average. Given that they missed the playoffs the last 2 years by 7 and 3 games, I'd say that fact is pretty important.

No bullpen is perfect, that's true, that said the Mariners bullpen blows leads more often than most teams. I hope the bullpen proves me wrong and I know it was just one outing, but Diaz still looks like a very shaky closer to me. Very lucky Cleveland didn't tie it and all the drama was 100% self inflicted and avoidable.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random complaint:

I'm unsure if this will be applying for the entire year, or if it was just because it was opening day, but Safeco raised their prices on craft beer. Last year it was $12, now it's $13.

Yes it may just be a dollar increase, but the price was already so absurd to begin with I don't think they have much right raising the prices.

Over the years I've become a beer snob and never order light beers or anything from a can/bottle when there are better options, but I'm about ready to just start drinking cheaper beers due to the outrageous cost of beer in the stadium.

Shit really? What is the beer at the ballpark they diacounted? They said they were lowering some beer to $6

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all well and true, however the Mariners have been top 5 in blown saves the last 3 seasons including tied for most in MLB last year. Over that span they have averaged 6 more blown saves per year than the AL average. Given that they missed the playoffs the last 2 years by 7 and 3 games, I'd say that fact is pretty important.

No bullpen is perfect, that's true, that said the Mariners bullpen blows leads more often than most teams. I hope the bullpen proves me wrong and I know it was just one outing, but Diaz still looks like a very shaky closer to me. Very lucky Cleveland didn't tie it and all the drama was 100% self inflicted and avoidable.

It's hard to fault Diaz for being shakey as progressing wise this should be his first season in the bigs at most the set up guy. He went from a starter to a closer in record time. The Mariners are putting a ton of hope on a him to be the next Mariano Rivera if the bullpen is to be as good as Dipoto says they will be. He is going to struggle from time to time and hopefully the club conserves their visits for situations like last night when a Cano or Zunino can go and try to calm him down.

I still don't think it was too bad of an outing, I thought the two HBP were BS if they followed the actual rule of attempting. Both the guys got nicked at most and gave crap efforts to move, unlike Ichiro and Gordon who could easily have been hit but jumped out of the way.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man losing Zunino is just a massive problem. I’d say he’s probably one of three guys we just can’t afford to lose. Oblique is at least a 6 week thing to no matter how they try and fluff this thing.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man losing Zunino is just a massive problem. I’d say he’s probably one of three guys we just can’t afford to lose. Oblique is at least a 6 week thing to no matter how they try and fluff this thing.

Yea its also one of those nagging type things that can re-appear with a swing of the bat in any future batting practices. And you know all the pitchers feel more confident and at ease throwing to him.

I sure do hope this is just a 10 day DL stiint

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, you are totally right. An oblique issue could haunt the Z man all season long depending on the extent and how he (they) go about his rehab. Having Z back in the lineup will be great and I'm thinking (hoping) management and trainers will not try to rush things. Z is gonna have this in the back of his mind probably all season and I hope, when he does come back, that he gets his confidence back and returns to being a real offensive asset to the team. It's just kind of sad this happened because his head was in such a good spot following ST and was ready to rock and roll going into this season. I am now really looking @ Voge to step up and fire off a few bombs and shine offensively if Scotty will be smart enough to play him-like today (Saturday) so he doesn't get rusty sitting on his Servais, oops, I mean sitting on his rear end. :D

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a Mariners season without a shit ton of critical injuries!

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough break for Zunino with the fantastic Spring he was having... Was excited to see how that translated into the regular season...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the "Eh Eh Eh" all about? That's annoying as fuck. Sit down and shut the fuck up. It's the 2nd AB in the game..