• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since this is the off season thread wanted to ask this question.

i remember watching in the 01 playoffs espn had a "preview" of all the series. steve levy asked melrose when it got to the devils canes series. do the hurricanes have any shot? melrose said NONE NOWAY NO CHANCE WHAT SOEVER. i'll always remember that exchange. devils went up 3-0 and won in 6.

devils were BEYOND dominate season. question is will the devils ever get to that level again? we are all pretty lucky to have been able to see when our team was literally the best team in hockey. even in 03 and last year we werent the "best" team by any stretch.

whats it going to take to get back to that dominate 01 team?

Unfortunately the cap has a lot to do with that now, we wouldn't be able to have Stevens, Nieds and Marty any more (most likely), and still be able to field a lineup featuring Elias, Arnott, Sykora all in their prime plus Mogilny.

Also, the top tier teams this year (Pitt/Chicago) had to be unwatchable for half a decade to get the talent they have.

I think we would need to kill it in a few drafts, meaning not just top picks but get some hidden gems late in a draft, and then be smart about trades and free agency. I don't know if we'll ever be at that level again though without something drastic like missing the playoffs for 3-4 straight years.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
you know what i think that once the old guard chapter closes marty/elias/lou this team can really make a step forward.

i keep hearing people say lou wants to win one more cup for marty.....why are we continually trying to win one just for marty and mortgaging the future for it.

clarkson would've got a good/decent return if shipped at the deadline but our gm doesn't think that way. also im sure a contender would've paid at least a 2nd rounder for one of our vetern d men.

but maybe like i said when elias/marty/lou are gone maybe the "pressure" to win something for them will be gone too? can actually do whats best for the team and the future and not just for the next 2 years

KingOfNJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That 00-01 team was the best team in the organizations history. That team was STACKED

Will we ever get back to that level? I believe so, but that team wasn't made overnight and it will take years to develop that core and balance between vets, players in their primes and younger guys.

I agree with Cup, I think alot of moves over the past 3 years have been made to win Marty one more cup. And we came pretty damn close to getting there last year. But I think its time to take a step back and really start to re-build this team with younger players and new faces.

Personally, I'm looking forward to it. Marty and Elias will go down as franchise, historical players for the Devils. But I'm excited to see what direction this organization goes in the next 3 years. Might hit some rough patches, but I have faith in the personnel, system and organization to steer the ship in the right direction

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think us stockpiling D has a lot to do with life after Marty. It's impossible for whoever the next guy is to duplicate what Marty has done so we better surround him with some top end talent to ease the transition.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That 00-01 team was the best team in the organizations history. That team was STACKED

Will we ever get back to that level? I believe so, but that team wasn't made overnight and it will take years to develop that core and balance between vets, players in their primes and younger guys.

I agree with Cup, I think alot of moves over the past 3 years have been made to win Marty one more cup. And we came pretty damn close to getting there last year. But I think its time to take a step back and really start to re-build this team with younger players and new faces.

right direction

which is why this team would be loaded i believe if they dealt
nieds/gomez/parise/clarkson/rafalski all before they hit ufa. telling me playoff bound teams wouldnt have given up at least a first round for any of those?

nieds hall of fame
gomez top line center at the time
parise we all know what he brings
clarkson the leafs would've loved to get him for that bruins playoff series.
rafalski 2nd pairing d man mobile offensive upside.

but instead lou held off and look what it got us. easily could've got a few prospects and a couple draft picks.

heck even for a-train/tallendar or any other d man this trade deadline we could've moved for any type of draft pick. but hes still holding out hope for that one cup before marty retires.

i will give lou a pass on nieds leaving but after that he should've learned his lesson. any ufa that no contract was talked about during the season he should've moved. we all knew gomez/parise were gone

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's try to focus on this offseason and not rehash that debate.

I'm really curious to see if whoever we draft will be able to make the jump to the NHL immediately. Of the UFAs we have Elias is the only guy I really want coming back. Say what you want about him but the guy produces, is an unbelievably versatile player and plays solid defensive hockey.

Other than that I'm hoping guys walk and we can get younger.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i dont think having him jump right into the nhl is the best idea. yeah #9 is going to be a good player but no need to rush

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fire & Ice - Lamoriello: Devils facing Rangers at Yankee Stadium will be ?something special?

Lamoriello said he is “still finishing” his end-of-season interviews and evaluating process.

Lamoriello said “everything is open” as far as bringing back unsigned players “no decisions have been made on anything.”

Some of asked about defenseman Marek Zidlicky, who is slated to become an unrestricted free agent, playing in the world championships for the Czech Republic. On break-up day, Zidlicky told me he might play in the world championships, so it’s not a surprise.

Zidlicky has not re-signed or agreed to terms already with the Devils, yet.

“We’d certainly like to have him back,” Lamoriello said.

Lamoriello said he is using the time available to fully evaluate all decisions.

“We’re in May,” he said. “You have time to reflect and not let emotions get in the way and having patience with the interviews and speaking with everybody.”

yeah lets take things nice and slow. we will start doing contract talks the day after

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
of course clakrson lets talk to now. parise? meh we can wait

guess this means lou knew he had no shot at parise signing after he inked the 1 year deal. he should've dealt him at the deadline at that point

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i cant believe he is even thinking of bringing zidlicky back

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team needs fresh blood. IMO, there are shouldn't be Zid, nor Clarky. Should get younger and solid goalie.
Horton is UFA on July 1 - we should try to get him. He has solid playoff run so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loktionov is back for at least 1 year, no mention of dollar amount. I like it. Wouldve been bummed if we lost him.

Vortimous

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same, I thought he did great for us and could be a scorer with the right line combo. Was impressed with what I saw after we got him... Glad he will stay...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its funny... i'm glad sullivan is gone and not too up or down with Dagostini bounced... but i'm laughing that our draft picks are gone with them...

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah im glad loko is staying. i can see him starting out on the 3rd line and moving up

zajac kingslayer loko gionta as 1/2/3/4 thats pretty deep down the center. just need to work on faceoffs with that bunch and its a good start. still wouldnt mind drafting a legit #1 center that is thorton-ish with that great vision.

@calamity i agree.....its just a waste we deal picks after picks and for what? sullivan was at the deadline when we all pretty much knew we werent making the playoffs. so why even make the move? to just make a move? yeah i know they were late round picks but i dont care. i rather have a draft pick instead of a over 35 year old on a bubble team. same with dag minus his age he was nothing more then a roll player on a team deep of them. loko was a good trade so far lets see what he can do over 82 games