• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team Overview for New Jersey Devils (12/13) | NHLnumbers.com

Might as well talk about moves we'd like to see, who we would like brought back etc.

Locked up, sure things: Kovy, Zajac, Bernier, Gionta, Carter, Bryce, Hammer, Fayne, Greene
(If these guys aren't on the team I would be absolutely shocked)

Locked up, should buyout or trade: A-Train, Tallinder
(Potentially buyout one and move the other)

RFAs we should bring back: Truth, Loki
(Both very young, both very talented)

UFAs we should bring back: Elias, Zubrus
(For the right price both can still contribute positively, don't overpay for either one)

UFAs we should let go: Poni, Clarkson, Zids
(Poni and Zids are taking up roster spots from younger guys, Clarkson will get too much for what he provides)

Who We Should See: Matteau, Urbom, Merrill
(Matteau can replace Poni/Clarkson, Urbom and Merrill could make the jump if we clear enough spots on D)

Again, capwise we are in great shape, hopefully we can capitalize on cap strapped teams that are buying players out, out of neccesity. We'll have to see what free agents are out there, but I think a top 6 winger is a must.

Agree, disagree, have at it. Let's try and keep this civil.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make a few moves, get healthy and hope Marty can keep coming back and the Devils are right back to the top of the East. Nobody needs me to tell them this but I just cant see them having too tough of a time rebounding.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Most unfortunately, all the big name UFAs that could have been available were extended, at pretty hefty deals. Perry, Getzlaf, Semin.

There are still some interesting mid tier options:

Roy
Clarkson
Ribiero
Clowe
MacArthur
Bouchard
Bozak
Horton
Raymond
Brunner

After that the ages start to creep up.

Complete list:

Top NHL Unrestricted Free Agents

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Michael Ryder would be a good signing..2 year deal for him seems reasonable.

Im cold on Clarkson right now..I hope Lou doesn't overpay for him.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also have to hold out to see which players get bought out of their current contracts. There could be some quality players that are currently being overpaid but would be worthwhile otions. Maybe they can be had for a discount since they're already making a ton from their buyout.

Vortimous

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to keep Clarkson for the right price... the guy just seems to be a devil... I dont know what that means, but he does just seem like he is the devils type player. With that being said, he is not worth millions and dont overpay for him. I would rather seem him gone than that.. but for the right price, he is a good fit for us. I love that Claude type player that annoys the hell out of the other team.... we lack that.... he fits that role when he wants too....

I am all for bring up the young talent and see where we go. Elias, he can leave if he wants... and if he stays... get him off the PP please... so tired of the side of the net shots and passes threw three sticks.... the shot misses and goes out the other side or the pass never makes it through... yeah once every 100 attempts he makes a goal... but just not worth it... and I thought our PP was gonna be different once Oates left.... boy was I wrong....

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
RE Clarkson:

His expiring contract was a 3 year $8M deal. That's an average cap hit of 2.66M

However, his monetary contract was $3M the last two seasons. So you should start there and start looking north.

Frankly, I wouldn't even be remotely shocked if he was offered $25M over 5 in free agency.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea if we would, I know Lou has moved up in the draft in the past, but it may be a blessing in disguise that we didn't make a move at the deadline. I'm not sure there was anybody available that would have made this team do a 180. So moving D or prospects/picks for a rental like Jagr as opposed to potentially moving up to grab a top tier guy in the draft would have been a disaster.

If we can get somewhere in the top 10, I think we can manage a trade with somebody like Edmonton. They already have a ton of youth up front and once Seth Jones if off the board they don't really have use for another young forward, swap first rounders, send our first, Tallinder or A-Trian, and a prospect or 2, maybe more picks.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We are all pissed because of the way this season is ending. He had a great start and then fizzled away.

I can guarantee a team will offer Clarkson in the 5 million per year range.

He has a lot of intangibles. Ability to score. He hits. He can fight. He agitates. He will crash the net, bump the goalie, constantly yaps out there, hates the Rangers and they hate him, etc. In summary, he is the guy you rather have on your team then play against.

It will be a tough decision for NJ.

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Back to what NM was saying, I wonder if the team can include Clarkson for the right deal. Maybe trade his rights (instead of a prospect) and give some team the ability to negotiate a contract before free agency hits.
Might be better than losing him for nothing.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, didn't even think about trading Clarkson's rights.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keep in mind that the reason we're all down on clarkson right now is because he hasn't been consistent this season. If he gets 2 more goals this season (15 total) that's a 25G season over a full year. Back to back 25+ goal seasons gets you paid in this league.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, but he can't be relied on to score the timely goals. He was a bit of a no show in the playoffs last year, and with the style of play he has I see his game declining big time on the other side of 30. If he were 27 we'd be having a different conversation.

I love Clarkson but a 5 year 25 million dollar deal I think would hurt us in the long run. And I said it in another thread, I think 2 years down the road Matteau is as good if not better than Clarkson. I could be wrong but I'd be willing to roll the dice on that one.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad thing is, Clarkson's probably a better goal scorer than Zajac. The most goals Zajac has scored in a season was 25. He had another season where he scored exactly 20 goals. And we were relying on him and a 2nd year player to score in Henrique? No wonder this team can't score. Time to get at least one possibly two guys who can score this summer. This season was pathetic.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad thing is, Clarkson's probably a better goal scorer than Zajac. The most goals Zajac has scored in a season was 25. He had another season where he scored exactly 20 goals. And we were relying on him and a 2nd year player to score in Henrique? No wonder this team can't score. Time to get at least one possibly two guys who can score this summer. This season was pathetic.

Zajac isn't a goal scorer so I don't hold that against him (Neither is Elias for that matter). The problem I see is that Clarkson is being used pretty much as a sniper, on the PP and when we have an extra attacker. He's not a sniper, he gets the dirty goals and gets to the rough areas sure, but if we need a goal I don't think he should be relied upon to get it.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zajac isn't a goal scorer so I don't hold that against him (Neither is Elias for that matter). The problem I see is that Clarkson is being used pretty much as a sniper, on the PP and when we have an extra attacker. He's not a sniper, he gets the dirty goals and gets to the rough areas sure, but if we need a goal I don't think he should be relied upon to get it.

He's not. But that was a lot of money for a non goal scorer to get. Elias was never a true goal scorer. He was close to one about 10 years ago possibly. I just hope we address this situation in the off season.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is that Clarkson is not worthy of 5 mil/yr. And I'd say that team needs some turnaround in its roster. For how long we are going to watch most of the games with 1-2 goals being scored by our team and being mentally pressured in keeping the score low because of that. We definitely need 2 more scorers. How and where to get them is for Lou and his personnel to figure this out.