• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread, WR hunt, Cap Space now $4.768M not counting JJ and Jacobs

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then kap starts. I got to thinking we wouldn't have a first round pick to drive up the price either. Wonder what rookies salaries would be starting rd 2-7 surely less then 5

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then kap starts. I got to thinking we wouldn't have a first round pick to drive up the price either. Wonder what rookies salaries would be starting rd 2-7 surely less then 5

Every team is allocated a certain amount they're allowed to spend on rookies per draft class. It's based on the amount of picks a team has. If we don't have a 1st round pick that number will be adjusted accordingly.

I don't know if this changed with the new CBA, but the rookie "salary pool" counts only the base salary, signing bonus, and any incentives specifically indicated in the contract only the first year.

Last edited by a moderator:

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got to thinking we wouldn't have a first to jack up the price either. So throw that alexs way as well. I say the longer we hold out the better the deal not like there's any competition for alexs services

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got to thinking we wouldn't have a first to jack up the price either. So throw that alexs way as well. I say the longer we hold out the better the deal not like there's any competition for alexs services

We're not the ones holding out, though. The contract is on the table already. All Alex has to do is sign it.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for double post my phone said first post didn't go thru. Wasn't there suppose to be a sports SportsHoopla app?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap space now $23.5M with Spencer getting cut. Still waiting on the Rogers deal to be broken down to update the amount with his cap hit.

San Francisco 49ers:

"CSNBayArea - "49ers scorecard: Rogers' deal counts 5.5 million on cap: Carlos Rogers' four-year, 29.3 million contract counts"

There you go - 18m and counting backward. As soon as we get our FA WR signed, Smith will sign then it's onto the 4th weekend in April.

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Broncos attend Peyton Manning drills
Updated: March 16, 2012, 11:20 AM ET
ESPN.com news

Manning To Work Out For Denver

A contingent of Denver Broncos officials will watch Peyton Manning work out Friday in Durham, N.C., sources have told ESPN.

The private plane of Broncos owner Pat Bowlen left Denver en route to Raleigh-Durham on Friday morning.

Among Broncos officials on board to watch Manning, according to the sources, were John Elway, executive VP for football operations; head coach John Fox; offensive coordinator Mike McCoy; quarterback coach Adam Gase; general manager Brian Xanders; and a medical team.

I'm not an NFL coach, of course, but I think I know what it takes to complete passes in the NFL, and it's clear that Peyton can make all those throws.

-- David Cutcliffe, who has watched Peyton Manning work out several times over the past few months in Durham, N.C.

Manning will work out for them at the indoor facility at Duke.

Duke coach David Cutcliffe, who has observed Manning work out and throw several times the past few months in Durham, told The Tennessean of Nashville that Manning will have what it takes to play at the highest level when he resumes his career this fall.

"It's incredible how much progress he's made in throwing the football," Cutcliffe told the newspaper. "He's gotten his arm strength back and his accuracy is there.

"I'm not an NFL coach, of course, but I think I know what it takes to complete passes in the NFL, and it's clear that Peyton can make all those throws," said Cutcliffe, who was Manning's offensive coordinator at the University of Tennessee from 1994 to 1997 and remains one of his friends.

Cutcliffe was also the coach at Mississippi when Manning's brother, Eli Manning, played for the Rebels.

Manning wrapped up his latest free-agent visit Wednesday, leaving the Tennessee Titans' complex after spending more than eight hours with team officials.

"From what I've seen, he's right on target for that," Cutcliffe said of Manning's 2012 return. "Everybody knows what a hard worker he is, and he's dedicated himself to getting ready for the season."

In addition to the Broncos and Titans, the Arizona Cardinals are still in the race to get Manning. The Miami Dolphins have been informed that Manning will not sign with them.

Some teams that have reviewed Manning's medical records and observed video of his recent throwing sessions appear satisfied with his physical status, both in neck stability and arm strength, and may not require him to work out, sources have told Mortensen.

However, a source added that Manning has no hesitation about putting his throwing skills on display and expected such a workout to be part of the process.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updating the cap space with Rogers cap hit. Damn I was hoping it would come in lower, oh well. Hopefully they can bang out a long term deal with Goldson and lower the $6.212 in the first year. Steelers only have $4.14M in cap space right now.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updating the cap space with Rogers cap hit. Damn I was hoping it would come in lower, oh well. Hopefully they can bang out a long term deal with Goldson and lower the $6.212 in the first year. Steelers only have $4.14M in cap space right now.

No thanks.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Williams or Stewart on the block?
10:50 AM ET
Carolina Panthers

UPDATE: Monday morning, ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas checked in with his take on the potential for a DeAngelo Williams or Jonathan Stewart trade (find those thoughts at the bottom of the post).

---

We learned on Saturday that free agent RB Mike Tolbert was taking a visit to a potential new NFL team this weekend, and an NFL source has told Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer that the potential new NFL team is the Carolina Panthers.

Hold up. Don't the Panthers already have a crowded backfield with DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart? Person writes that should the Panthers ink Tolbert, there will be increased speculation that Williams or Stewart will be traded. Of the two, Stewart is a more likely trade target, given that he'll be in the final season of his contract in 2012 and his cap hit is around $3 million. Williams got a five-year, $43 million extension last offseason, and will count $8.7 million against the cap in 2012.

Given the decreased value on RBs in today's NFL -- with many teams electing to forgo a feature back, instead opting for a committee approach -- it's tough to say what the Panthers will get back in return. But for a team that is looking to upgrade at RB (Cincinnati and Pittsburgh could be in this boat), a deal for a draft pick -- 3rd round or lower -- makes some sense.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Pat Yasinskas
Can't rule it out

"I think the Panthers would have a hard time getting anything for Williams because teams would be hesitant to take on the huge contract he signed last summer. Stewart would be much more appealing in a trade. He's entering the final year of his rookie contract that's not nearly as big as Wiliams' deal. The Panthers also might be wise to get something for Stewart now rather than losing him as a free agent next year."

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we know manninghams contract yet?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The market for Tebow
4:40PM ET
Tim Tebow | Broncos | Interested: 49ers?, Browns?, Eagles?, Patriots?, Dolphins?, Jaguars?, Bills?

UPDATE: ESPN NFL Draft guru Mel Kiper, Jr. checked in with his thoughts on five potential destinations for Tebow, and he says that we can't rule out the Jags (see the bottom of the post for Kiper's take).

Meanwhile, Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders isn't exactly sold on the idea of a reunion with Josh McDaniels: "I think the Tebow to Pats idea is silliness. They have 2 backup QBs, and do you really ever want to take Brady off the field to run Wildcat?"

As for the NFC East, our resident blogger covering that division, Dan Graziano, does not like any of those four teams in the Tebow sweepstakes (his thoughts are at the bottom of the post as well).

---

Just before noon EST on Monday, news of Peyton Manning's decision on his next NFL destination spread across the world like a wild stallion charging over the plains: he's heading to the Denver Broncos, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter. And with Peyton in, it appears that Tim Tebow has been put on the trading block.

The immediate reaction -- and in fact, our reasoning in posts considering Tebow's future if the Broncos signed Manning -- is that the Jacksonville Jaguars are the most logical fit: Tebow's roots in North Florida in addition to the Jags' issues both at QB and in selling tickets seem to be a perfect storm. Recently, the Jags' potential interest in acquiring Tebow has been downplayed, but now that he's actually available, thoughts on the subject could change.

There has been a flurry of other speculation since news of Tebow being on the block hit the airwaves, and one team whose name keeps coming up is the Miami Dolphins. It was, after all, against those Dolphins that Tebow's legend was amplified -- and on a day when Tebow and his national champion Florida Gators were honored by the club at halftime, no less. After missing on Manning, a trade for the No. 2 pick (and Robert Griffin III), Matt Flynn and (possibly) Alex Smith, might Tebow be the thing to turn the franchise back in the right direction this offseason? Again, can't rule it out.

The other line of thinking if Tebow is on the block is that teams who were interested in him prior to the 2010 draft may still have some thoughts on acquiring him, to use not as their starting QB but in other packages (and possibly a different position). Teams in that boat include the Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles.

The Broncos have certainly considered what they'd do if they got Manning, and may have even tested the market a bit by gauging interest from other teams on Tebow in the event that they became Peyton's new home. Things could move quickly here in the next few days.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mel Kiper, Jr.
Jacksonville has to stay on the list

"Until the Jaguars come out and say they have no interest whatsoever, there's no reason not to speculate that they wouldn't. The current personnel situation makes this an entirely unappealing place to develop a passer, but this isn't your typical passer."

Dan Graziano
No, your team should not trade for Tebow

"Remember this about Tebow: His success as a Bronco came after the team decided to completely structure its offense around him, accentuating his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses (i.e., actually throwing the ball). The Broncos had no established receivers that were gong to kick about such a decision, a veteran running back who was totally on board and a flexible, open-minded coach who was willing to consider an outside-the-box option as possibly better than the offense he preferred to run. There isn't a team in the NFC East that remotely fits that description."

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What do you guys want to do now?

I want to sign 3 more players:

1) Alex Smith (3 year deal)
2) Ginn (2 year deal)
3) a veteran RG (2 year deal)

Since we have a good amount of cap space left this year, I'm willing to front load the contracts for (2) and (3).

Then we will be in great cap shape for several years. One thing I was worried about with Manning was how would our cap shape be? Seems like we'd be right up against it.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd still like to bring in another reciever, maybe two. we need a red zone/move the chains type guy. could obviously use a RG or RT. ginn would be nice but i think cox was brought in to replace ginn.

a running back like cadillac would give us 3 guys we can go with to help keep gore fresh for the playoffs.

maybe a couple guys on d as situational players, like franklin and wimbley.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Garrard is a Miami Dolphin. I guess that means we get Alex back.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Garrard is a Miami Dolphin. I guess that means we get Alex back.

My in-laws and my wife's extended family are all from/in Miami. They are going out of their mind's right now. Its really funny.