• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread, WR hunt, Cap Space now $4.768M not counting JJ and Jacobs

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna need miracles on the Rogers and Smith cap hits. I don't want to settle for bums at WR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ted Ginn Jr:

"Nice talk with the loins headed home now miss my baby's and KY"

No offer???...

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna need miracles on the Rogers and Smith cap hits. I don't want to settle for bums at WR.

Here is a thought - Smith is waiting for FA to end so the #'s on his contract will be cap friendly in '12

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here is a thought - Smith is waiting for FA to end so the #'s on his contract will be cap friendly in '12

I don't know what Smith is waiting for. As every day passes he loses more leverage. Teams are signing QBs like Orton, Henne, etc. soon he won't even be able to get a backup job somewhere else.

If I was the 49ers I would structure Smith's contract that if he's the starter he gets starter's money, if he ends up being the backup down the road he gets backup money.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what Smith is waiting for. As every day passes he loses more leverage. Teams are signing QBs like Orton, Henne, etc. soon he won't even be able to get a backup job somewhere else.

If I was the 49ers I would structure Smith's contract that if he's the starter he gets starter's money, if he ends up being the backup down the road he gets backup money.

I honestly believe Smith is waiting for our FA spending to end to give the 49ers a cap friendly contract. It just makes sense when you consider the relationships that exist between Smith and our FO.

Perhaps Smith worked a deal that if he waited and took a cap friendly contract that he would get an extra year out of the deal - not at all implausible.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I honestly believe Smith is waiting for our FA spending to end to give the 49ers a cap friendly contract. It just makes sense when you consider the relationships that exist between Smith and our FO.

Perhaps Smith worked a deal that if he waited and took a cap friendly contract that he would get an extra year out of the deal - not at all implausible.

Ok makes sense. That would not surprise me, and it would really validate the friendly relationship he has with the FO and Harbaugh. Then we could also use up a variable amount of cap room this year depending on what's left.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok makes sense. That would not surprise me, and it would really validate the friendly relationship he has with the FO and Harbaugh. Then we could also use up a variable amount of cap room this year depending on what's left.

Exactly, and since we are looking to spend a lot of money providing him with weapons it becomes even more plausible

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's still a little odd though.

Alex Smith is getting no action from any other team whatsoever. No calls from the Seahawks or Cardinals, both teams which could hurt the 49ers if they signed him.

And there's all this other QB action going on. (Peyton, trade for RGIII, Orton, Henne, etc.)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still a little odd though.

Alex Smith is getting no action from any other team whatsoever. No calls from the Seahawks or Cardinals, both teams which could hurt the 49ers if they signed him.

And there's all this other QB action going on. (Peyton, trade for RGIII, Orton, Henne, etc.)

That is because he is not available to other teams. I'm sure Condon has told all those who have inquired that he has agreed to terms with the 49ers and that would be the reason for the silence.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Wallace - WR - Steelers

ESPN's Adam Schefter suggested on NFL Live Thursday that no teams are going to make a move on restricted free agent Mike Wallace "unless circumstances change."
"Nobody's made a move," said Schefter. "Teams have debated it, but they're shying away from it right now." For cap reasons, former salary cap official and current CBS analyst Pat Kirwin believes teams will continue to shy away from Wallace until the NFL Draft draws near in April.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Mike Wallace - WR - Steelers

ESPN's Adam Schefter suggested on NFL Live Thursday that no teams are going to make a move on restricted free agent Mike Wallace "unless circumstances change."
"Nobody's made a move," said Schefter. "Teams have debated it, but they're shying away from it right now." For cap reasons, former salary cap official and current CBS analyst Pat Kirwin believes teams will continue to shy away from Wallace until the NFL Draft draws near in April.

Proves my theory that Wallace is not worth a first.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proves my theory that Wallace is not worth a first.

Anyone who thinks Wallace isn't worth a first hasn't seen him play. Just because teams are waiting doesn't mean they wont do it either.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not just the first rounder, its the contract you would have to give wallace that teams dont wanna do.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly teams would have to give 10mil for first two seasons for Pittsburgh not to match

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus. It means teams don't want to give him $12m+ AND a first round pick. "salary cap reasons"

Exactly the contract is the killer.

At pick #30 and in this years draft class, i would do it in a second if not for the salry cap problem. Only way i would not think about doing it is if we had our sights set on trading out of the first round to get another first for next yr.