• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread, WR hunt, Cap Space now $4.768M not counting JJ and Jacobs

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know there are a few threads on this already, but they seem to have devolved into debates about Alex Smith, so I'm starting a new one and doing my best to ignore the QB situation. I just have one comment on it.

I accept it is a virtual guarantee that Smith is back next year. There is really no need to debate it. I also firmly believe that the staff believes in CK, so I think it's a long shot that we bring in any competition for the QB1 spot (I would like to see Henne brought in personally). The only way Alex is not starting next year is if we sign Drew Brees or Peyton Manning. I think all of us would accept either of those moves (Manning conditioned on him passing physicals). That's all I'll say about Smith and the QB.

With our own FAs (I don't have a list in front of me, so forgive me if I miss one or two).

All the starters on defense I would like to see back. I like that Rogers wants to get something done before FA starts because that allows us to tag Goldson (and I would tag Goldson, probably wouldn't tag Rogers). I'd push hard for Brooks to come back because if we lose him we need to replace him (I don't have a list of candidates, does anyone?). We can't go into next year with Smith and Haralson as the only two OLB on the roster. Even if we sign Brooks, we still need another body.

Offensively, I would let Rachal walk, I would look to bring back the entire OL (though an upgrade at RG is important and let Snyder be a universal backup who can play all 5 spots). I want Walker back, and would look for another athletic TE in the draft (round 4 or later though). I don't think we need a "blocking TE" as we use DL and OL for that role anyhow.

WR must be addressed multiple times. If we can get one of the big FA that are available (Colston, Bowe) then do that, but I would still take a WR high in the draft (first two rounds). If we have to move up a bit to get our guy, do it (not like the Falcons, but a few spots). If we're unable to get a big time FA, I would draft two WRs in the first 3 rounds and would be very excited about getting WRs with the first two picks.

We went into the NFC Championship game with Brett Swain as our #3 WR.

I'm going to start another thread about Ginn, because I know it will be a focus, but I wouldn't bring him back. Yes, we'd be playing for the Super Bowl if he had played last week, but not because of explosive plays that didn't happen in the return game, but because of an inability to protect the ball. I'd look for a WR that has experience returning punts (in college or the pros) who can bring more to the table on offense than Ginn does.

I would also cut Dixon at RB and see what we can find in the mid to late rounds in a RB that could be an every down guy. Gore is getting towards the end, and I'm not convinced Hunter can be a 20 touch per game guy. If it turns out Hunter can do that, we only spent a 5th round pick (or so) on a backup RB. If he can't, we may hit the jackpot.

Other positions I'd address in the draft are OG (unless we can sign Nicks at a reasonable price), CB (depth is a must) and OLB (again, we need depth). I also would look into a DL in the later rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My priorities in the draft would be 1) Wide receiver (it seemed like the Giants receivers were always able to get open whereas ours were not); 2) Running Back (I just think next year Gore is going to have a huge drop off, he's a hard runner and I think it will take it's toll); 3) Defensive line and Safety (Justin Smith has been awesome but he is what a 12-13 year veteran?). Just my two cents.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker is not a FA, why do people keep thinking this? Its next year.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was kind of shocked to see that Rogers is 30 years old. Auto-resign, but gonna have to be one of those deals that can end after 2 - 3 years if necessary. Franchise wouldn't be plausible, right.....the tag at CB has got to be extraordinarily high these days, where I'd imagine its quite reasonable at S......though you better believe Goldson will be looking to get PAID this offseason, after last year he will test the market and may not do the Niners any favors.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll throw this website in here that I just found, if you don't mind. It lists FAs from every team, and you can sort them by position. It also lists the contracts of players from every team so that we can get idea of which teams can afford who at whatever position.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/

It seems like this website should be a pretty useful tool for a thread like this.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was kind of shocked to see that Rogers is 30 years old. Auto-resign, but gonna have to be one of those deals that can end after 2 - 3 years if necessary. Franchise wouldn't be plausible, right.....the tag at CB has got to be extraordinarily high these days, where I'd imagine its quite reasonable at S......though you better believe Goldson will be looking to get PAID this offseason, after last year he will test the market and may not do the Niners any favors.

That was my line of thinking. The CB franchise price will probably be in the 15M range.

I would look to give Rogers something in the 3 or 4 year range in the 8-10M per year range. Somewhere in the 30-35M range over the life of it. If he takes a shorter contract, he gets a little more (30M over 3 or 34M over 4 kind of deal).

Goldson will be looking to get paid. If we don't tag him, he may become the highest paid safety in the game (if we do tag him he might as well. I could see us breaking the bank for him). The big name safeties are aging (Reed, Polamalu). I'd probably try to go fairly short term (3 years) because he seems like the type to hold out if he feels he's underpaid.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know the exact details, but the tags changed with the new CBA. Instead of just the top 10 salaries by position from the past year, it's now divided over the last 5 years. These guys predict it will be in the $10mil range

Football Outsiders did a projection on tag numbers for Defensive positions
This projection isn't quite accurate since they don't know the 2012 salary cap yet, but it seems like a good starting spot.

Offensive player tag projections

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going by those projections the Franchise tag on safeties is incredibly low, in the 5-6mil range... looks like Goldson will get the tag to me. If these guys projections are in any way accurate.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there are a few threads on this already, but they seem to have devolved into debates about Alex Smith, so I'm starting a new one and doing my best to ignore the QB situation. I just have one comment on it.

I accept it is a virtual guarantee that Smith is back next year. There is really no need to debate it. I also firmly believe that the staff believes in CK, so I think it's a long shot that we bring in any competition for the QB1 spot (I would like to see Henne brought in personally). The only way Alex is not starting next year is if we sign Drew Brees or Peyton Manning. I think all of us would accept either of those moves (Manning conditioned on him passing physicals). That's all I'll say about Smith and the QB.

With our own FAs (I don't have a list in front of me, so forgive me if I miss one or two).

All the starters on defense I would like to see back. I like that Rogers wants to get something done before FA starts because that allows us to tag Goldson (and I would tag Goldson, probably wouldn't tag Rogers). I'd push hard for Brooks to come back because if we lose him we need to replace him (I don't have a list of candidates, does anyone?). We can't go into next year with Smith and Haralson as the only two OLB on the roster. Even if we sign Brooks, we still need another body.

Offensively, I would let Rachal walk, I would look to bring back the entire OL (though an upgrade at RG is important and let Snyder be a universal backup who can play all 5 spots). I want Walker back, and would look for another athletic TE in the draft (round 4 or later though). I don't think we need a "blocking TE" as we use DL and OL for that role anyhow.

WR must be addressed multiple times. If we can get one of the big FA that are available (Colston, Bowe) then do that, but I would still take a WR high in the draft (first two rounds). If we have to move up a bit to get our guy, do it (not like the Falcons, but a few spots). If we're unable to get a big time FA, I would draft two WRs in the first 3 rounds and would be very excited about getting WRs with the first two picks.

I'm going to start another thread about Ginn, because I know it will be a focus, but I wouldn't bring him back. Yes, we'd be playing for the Super Bowl if he had played last week, but not because of explosive plays that didn't happen in the return game, but because of an inability to protect the ball. I'd look for a WR that has experience returning punts (in college or the pros) who can bring more to the table on offense than Ginn does.

I would also cut Dixon at RB and see what we can find in the mid to late rounds in a RB that could be an every down guy. Gore is getting towards the end, and I'm not convinced Hunter can be a 20 touch per game guy. If it turns out Hunter can do that, we only spent a 5th round pick (or so) on a backup RB. If he can't, we may hit the jackpot.

Other positions I'd address in the draft are OG (unless we can sign Nicks at a reasonable price), CB (depth is a must) and OLB (again, we need depth). I also would look into a DL in the later rounds.

I agree with all of the above. The few things I would add is cutting Spencer to free up $3.3 Million in cap space.

(Now if additional wiggle room is needed to sign a difference maker)

That leaves two possibilities to free up cap space but those have caveats. Goodwin and Sopoaga.

Sopo- We might want to sign to an extension and lower his cap number next year since it will be the last year of his deal and he's set to pull in $4.95 mill. Cutting him outright would give us about $3.8 million in space but we could only do that if we believed in RJF and a cheaper FA/draft pick to fill his void.

Goodwin- If we cut him outright I assume that accelerates the two remaining years of his signing bonus into next season's cap. That would result in a total cap savings of $2,383,333. This also requires having a cheaper replacement player.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

We do still have Nate Byham on the roster. There were some who considered him already one of the better blocking TEs in the league. I think we give him a shot at the roster. We kept Moran Norris on the roster this year, so there's certainly room for an extra blocker.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, I forgot to add Frank Gore. This would be the most ruthless but since he doesn't have any remaining signing bonus left cutting him would result in a $4,350,000 savings.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Hey Imac, I know we tend to not see eye to eye sometimes but I agree with you, get a WR with a couple of our picks, cut big boy Anthony Dixon. We need to find Gore's replacement and let him sit under Gore while Gore is still on the team. Frank is a humble guy and a true professional and thats what we need.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So by my calculations we have $82,179,685 committed to 39 players going into the off-season. We have an additional $969,370 in dead money bringing the total to $83,149,055.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is right and the cap is $120 million then we have $36,850,945 of space to sign everybody. Oh yeah add in the 3.3 mill saved by cutting Spencer and that brings the total space to: $40,150,945.00

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is right and the cap is $120 million then we have $36,850,945 of space to sign everybody.

Hopefully that gets up to 39.8 mil after they either trade or cut Spencer, although, since he hasn't played and has one year left... I doubt anyone would trade for him since its pretty obvious they could just wait until the 49ers cut him.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I shouldn't say that, someone traded for Mays... anything can happen. Maybe they'll get a 6th or 7th rounder for Spencer.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Cutting Spencer but not Dixon)

So some ballpark numbers here. I honestly have no clue on Brooks.
10 for Alex
6.2k for Goldson assuming he gets tagged
8 for Rogers
5 for Brooks
$4,018,945.00 rough estimate for draft class of 7 players around 30th pick each round.

That brings us up to 49 players with $6,932,000.00 of cap left.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lets add these guys
Cortland Finnegan DB
Dwayne Bowe WR or Vincent Jackson WR
Coby Flenner & Alshon Jeffries and I will be happy.