• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread, WR hunt, Cap Space now $4.768M not counting JJ and Jacobs

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The strategy I think the Niners should employ hasn't changed one bit despite the surprising play this year. It's no secret I didn't think the Niners had the talent & depth to win a SB; I was REALLY hoping they'd prove me wrong. :(

I want Luck, Peyton or CK to be the QB next year. I agree that Alex will probably be the starting QB for a long time. I don't agree with that thinking, but I know it's the most realistic scenario (let's leave it at that as far as the QB situation is concerned).

I don't agree signing Goldson toa big cobtract would be a good idea. He's not a difference maker like Antrel Rolle is for the Giants IMO. I also don't like ca$hing in on a player with a bunch of interceptions as the basis of his contract. Also I think he'd be a better SS than FS. JMO. If another team offers a big contract I'd let him walk.

Same thing with Rogers. I'd love to have him back, but not for a contract like the one Cromartie got. My #1 priority would be to re-sign Brooks for 3 or 4 years. The strength of the team is the front 7 not the DBs...

I also disagree with letting Rachal walk. I think he's the ultimate "buy low" kind of player. He won't get starter money, but he could be a useful backup; and like I've said before I want him to learn the C position.

I'd still trade Gore & Justin Smith if the opprotunity came to do so. JMHO. I've written at length about why.

The best option at WR could be Desean Jackson IMO. Many disagree with that; I wrote about why in my "The Buy Low Strategy" thread. I'd draft a high ceiling type of WR, as well, to compete with Crabby.
By the way: Anyone who says not to sign Desean because of character issues but is open to signing Vincent Jackson is thinking very backwards.

C & RG are huge needs IMO; I'd love the Niners to draft one of each. I'd cut Goodwin; he was bad & he's getting old. The Saints were wise to let him go. Konz is just about tops on my realistic draft wish list.

Some FA's I'd consider: Desean, Tyler Brayton (been calling for him for a couple of years now), Robert Mathis, Chad Henne, Robert Meachem (not for a lot of money though), Corey Redding, Manny Lawson (cheap???), Vernon Carrey, & a long list of possible RBs...

I wouldn't be entirely opposed to the possibility of signing the guy McBoozehound should've drafted in 2008 (Carl Nicks) if he's not tagged, but I wouldn't get into a bidding war over him. 2 reasons: The OL would be ridiculous, and it weakens a likely NFC SB contender.

Everything you say here is wrong. EVERYTHING. Even the QB part (you left off the best option in Brees).

Goldson is much. much, much better than Rolle.

Rogers is better than Cromartie.

The market for Gore is non-existent. Trading Smith when we were one play away from the Super Bowl based on the play of our defense, and Smith being the heart and soul of our defense, makes no sense. It was somewhat defensible to call to trade Smith and Gore 2 or 3 years ago, but now we're close. We shouldn't be trading the key players like Smith when we're this close.

Rachal is bad. The idea of moving him to C, which is also such a cerebral position, seems bat shit crazy.

I wouldn't sign DeSean because of character issues, but also because of one-dimensinal issues. He's a deep threat. The end. He catches the ball if he's open, but he doesn't make the tough catches. Jackson is a long ball threat that can catch the ball despite good coverage.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading it was structured to where it could be a one year deal every season. We can walk away at any point and not have dead money.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vincent Jackson is sure to be franchised. I'd probably toss a 1st for him. I wouldn't be shocked if we used a 1ST on a rb though.

Haven't they already used the franchise tag on Jackson the past two years? Or was it just last year and the year before that it was the transition tag?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Everything you say here is wrong. EVERYTHING. Even the QB part (you left off the best option in Brees).

Rogers is better than Cromartie.

The market for Gore is non-existent. Trading Smith when we were one play away from the Super Bowl based on the play of our defense, and Smith being the heart and soul of our defense, makes no sense. It was somewhat defensible to call to trade Smith and Gore 2 or 3 years ago, but now we're close. We shouldn't be trading the key players like Smith when we're this close.

Rachal is bad. The idea of moving him to C, which is also such a cerebral position, seems bat shit crazy.

I wouldn't sign DeSean because of character issues, but also because of one-dimensinal issues. He's a deep threat. The end. He catches the ball if he's open, but he doesn't make the tough catches. Jackson is a long ball threat that can catch the ball despite good coverage.

ha yeah pretty close to my wouldve been response here too.

Sickness, lot of crazy ideas there. The only one I can sort of agree with is Rogers shouldnt get Cromartie money. And I'm on the fence if Brooks should be our #1 priority, I slightly agree with this but I am far from sure.

I stongly disagree about getting rid of Justin Smith, Rolle is better then Goldson, and Rachal should be tried out at Center.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Haven't they already used the franchise tag on Jackson the past two years? Or was it just last year and the year before that it was the transition tag?

Off the top of my head I thought they tagged him twice too.

I thought the main reason why he wasnt pissed off this year was because he got tagged again, and that jumps the number up even more so he made a very large chunk of change.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Chargers won’t give Vincent Jackson franchise tag - Scoop Du Jour - NFLBlog - Yahoo! Sports

Apparently he is unlikely to be tagged. The cost would be 13M, so he is likely to hit the open market.

I would imagine for big time WRs, that have confidence in their abilities, SF would be an attractive destination. You can pretty easily make a case that we were a game breaking WR away from being in the Super Bowl.

However, I think we would all agree that we need a WR that can catch the ball in traffic and when the CB has good coverage. The question is will Smith be willing to throw to a WR who is covered and trust him to win a battle.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did this thread have to be made now? Why couldn't we just been in the Super Bowl next, next week? (It's a hypothetical question, so we don't need any "KW" answers or Alex answers ;P)(Sorry if this is just salt on open wounds - I did say this in a dejected tone, if it makes you feel any better.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers won’t give Vincent Jackson franchise tag - Scoop Du Jour - NFLBlog - Yahoo! Sports

Apparently he is unlikely to be tagged. The cost would be 13M, so he is likely to hit the open market.

I would imagine for big time WRs, that have confidence in their abilities, SF would be an attractive destination. You can pretty easily make a case that we were a game breaking WR away from being in the Super Bowl.

However, I think we would all agree that we need a WR that can catch the ball in traffic and when the CB has good coverage. The question is will Smith be willing to throw to a WR who is covered and trust him to win a battle.

I know he doesn't trust Crabtree. Morgan, I don't think has enough support at least in that way. I think Alex trusted Edwards in the Ravens end of half INT. I bet he would trust a Fitzgerald, but it's hard to say since we haven't exactly had one and definitely not a Fitgerald and a Harbaugh at the same time. I'd like to find out.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know he doesn't trust Crabtree. Morgan, I don't think has enough support at least in that way. I think Alex trusted Edwards in the Ravens end of half INT. I bet he would trust a Fitzgerald, but it's hard to say since we haven't exactly had one and definitely not a Fitgerald and a Harbaugh at the same time. I'd like to find out.

I'd like to find out too.

But I think I'd rather see what Brees can do with our current WRs (because, you know, that's a possibility).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to find out too.

But I think I'd rather see what Brees can do with our current WRs (because, you know, that's a possibility).

Not sure if this is sarcasm because I feel he'll get resigned with the Saints. No doubt in my mind, but sarcasm on a message board sometimes, not most often, can be hard to read. Maybe you were sarcastically referring to Brees coming because mentioning Fitgerald would be as likely impossible? (Though you know I wasn't specifically meaning Fitzgerald).

Do you think Brees would pull a Warner, where he comes to us if he doesn't get what he wants, just to drive the price/length up? Whereas with Warner, there was less pressure on the Cardinals because we were worse, whereas with Brees it would be a legitimate choice to come here if things fell through with the Saints (heck, even if it didn't).

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not sure if this is sarcasm because I feel he'll get resigned with the Saints. No doubt in my mind, but sarcasm on a message board sometimes, not most often, can be hard to read. Maybe you were sarcastically referring to Brees coming because mentioning Fitgerald would be as likely impossible? (Though you know I wasn't specifically meaning Fitzgerald).

Do you think Brees would pull a Warner, where he comes to us if he doesn't get what he wants, just to drive the price/length up? Whereas with Warner, there was less pressure on the Cardinals because we were worse, whereas with Brees it would be a legitimate choice to come here if things fell through with the Saints (heck, even if it didn't).

It was sarcasm. Since he's a FA, he's in theory a possibility. And if we could get him and a #1 WR I think we'd be a pretty attractive destination for him.

But I really don't think there's a hope in hell we get him. I can't see him leaving NO. Your mention of Fitz had nothing to do with me bringing up Brees.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I assumed Brees isn't going anywhere; there's a tiny chance Peyton or Luck could come to SF.

That's insane. What you should have said is Goldson has a better front 7 than Rolle does.

Rogers is better than Cromartie..

I agree with that part; what you're saying is a non sequitur; Rogers being better RIGHT NOW doesn't mean I'd sign him long term for as much as Cromartie got.

The market for Gore is non-existent.

You never know until you try.

Trading Smith when we were one play away from the Super Bowl based on the play of our defense, and Smith being the heart and soul of our defense, makes no sense.

It does when you're looking at the big picture like I am. Trading ANY player makes sense if you get back something that helps the team more long term (unless it's a franchsie QB of course). Other teams know how good he is, so the price would be very high. The Niners aren't as good as the Pats were when they traded Seymour.

What makes you think Rachal is stupid? We're talking about him VS guys making the MINIMUM. He can learn to play C. Snyder can play C (not well). Do you know Snyder is smarter than Rachal? Rachal's never been tried there; his struggles were with pass protection; C is less demanding pass protection-wise than RG.

His "Character issues" are exactly why I'd sign him; it lowers his cost. And I know he's one dimentional; he's still be the best WR on the team. I'd only sign him unless he gets the kind of offer that would make him happy somewhere else. I don't think his value is anywhere near what it will be over the next 2-3 years, and he has to grow up eventually.

It seems like most people, you included imac, are ONLY thinking about next year. I'm thinking about the next 5 years.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Schefter made a prediction that we re-sign Rogers, Alex, Goldson and add Colston in free agency and we could also trade up for K Wright. Not sure where he said it but it has been mentioned in several places.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Schefter made a prediction that we re-sign Rogers, Alex, Goldson and add Colston in free agency and we could also trade up for K Wright. Not sure where he said it but it has been mentioned in several places.

Ahh he sees Colston in our future.... the plan is working!