• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread, WR hunt, Cap Space now $4.768M not counting JJ and Jacobs

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
crabtree couldn't even get seperation from a linebacker. wtf is smith suppose to do about that? webster was basically humping crabtree's leg the whole game. i'm surpised he didn't get pregnant

This gets my vote for funniest post of the year so far.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Crabtree has to realize that this IS his shot in the NFL. He's had 3 years to prove he can be a #1 WR in the NFL. If he doesn't become that team player and put in 100% effort in every aspect he's probably going to continue having 900 yard, 5 TD seasons, eventually get not re-signed or worse even cut by the 49ers, and he probably won't get another chance anywhere else to be the #1 guy. He'll be done.

I don't agree with that. He'll still get a shot somewhere else. A team will chalk at least some of his struggles up to Smith. He may not have a shot right away to be a #1, but if he proves he deserves it, he will. Again, Lloyd is a good comparison here.

If he wants to be a go-to guy in SF, I agree his window is closing. He starts to get pricey for a middle-of-the-road guy.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't agree with that. He'll still get a shot somewhere else. A team will chalk at least some of his struggles up to Smith. He may not have a shot right away to be a #1, but if he proves he deserves it, he will. Again, Lloyd is a good comparison here.

If he wants to be a go-to guy in SF, I agree his window is closing. He starts to get pricey for a middle-of-the-road guy.

Lloyd is a huge exception. Usually once football players get close to 30 and their career is dwindling down they fizzle out and they are out of the league before they know it.

What about Brandon Jones, Roy Williams, etc.? Receivers that went to new teams and they were supposed to become the guy there after they were mediocre on their previous team, and they fizzled out.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
smith is capable of being a quality starter in the league. crabtree is never going to develop into a #1.

they are not general complaints, they are major concerns. whatever qb we have, we need to have talent around them. we cannot have garbage like crabtree being the #1 option at wr ever again. crabtree should thrive with a tight end like vernon commanding so much attention. 1on1 vernon and he lights it up. 1on1 crabtree and a corner could use it in his youtube highlight videos.

Talk about different standards. Crabtree likely isn't capable of being a #1 WR, but he's definitely capable of being a quality starting WR.

You come across as a tool when you constantly bash Crabtree and then hold Smith up like some beacon of excellence on an otherwise horrible offense.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers reportedly placed an original, seventh-round tender on restricted free agent ILB Larry Grant.
Source: CSN Bay Area
Mar 9 - 11:46 AM

Looks like we will be getting another 7th round pick.

Boooooooo This seems like a shit move.

The money isnt that big of a difference and a 7th round pick is basically nothing. If it happened, I would rather just keep Grant with the 2nd round tender this year and lose him next year then just get a measly 7th round pick for him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lloyd is a huge exception. Usually once football players get close to 30 and their career is dwindling down they fizzle out and they are out of the league before they know it.

What about Brandon Jones, Roy Williams, etc.? Receivers that went to new teams and they were supposed to become the guy there after they were mediocre on their previous team, and they fizzled out.

No doubt he would be an exception, not a rule. But there's a very good chance he'd remain a starter and have ample opportunity to contribute.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
crabtree couldn't even get seperation from a linebacker. wtf is smith suppose to do about that? webster was basically humping crabtree's leg the whole game. i'm surpised he didn't get pregnant

Cute. And of Smith's 26 passes, two of them (the two TD passes) were good NFL-quality passes. The rest of the completions were check-downs or balls to wide open players. The vast majority of the incompletions were well off the mark.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With this Grant thing, why are people assuming we'll lose him? We'll let someone else negotiate a long term contract, then we'll match it. The 7th round tender makes him a lot easier to keep long term.

No team will sign him to an offer sheet if the compensation is a 2nd round pick. But if they can take the chance of getting him for a 7th round pick, they'll consider it. Then we match the offer and we have him under contact for 3 or 4 years. I like that a lot better than losing him next year as an UFA.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boooooooo This seems like a shit move.

The money isnt that big of a difference and a 7th round pick is basically nothing. If it happened, I would rather just keep Grant with the 2nd round tender this year and lose him next year then just get a measly 7th round pick for him.

We didn't miss a beat with Grant on the field last year and considering whom he replaced, I would agree he is worth more than a 7th round pick.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Talk about different standards. Crabtree likely isn't capable of being a #1 WR, but he's definitely capable of being a quality starting WR.

You come across as a tool when you constantly bash Crabtree and then hold Smith up like some beacon of excellence on an otherwise horrible offense.

+1. Said better than I said it above.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With this Grant thing, why are people assuming we'll lose him? We'll let someone else negotiate a long term contract, then we'll match it. The 7th round tender makes him a lot easier to keep long term.

No team will sign him to an offer sheet if the compensation is a 2nd round pick. But if they can take the chance of getting him for a 7th round pick, they'll consider it. Then we match the offer and we have him under contact for 3 or 4 years. I like that a lot better than losing him next year as an UFA.

I dont see us matching an offer a team would put out there. Whoever negotiates with him, will probably pay him starter money or something close. I dont see us tying up anymore money in the ILB position, especially for a player that will be a back up on our team for the considerable future.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I dont see us matching an offer a team would put out there. Whoever negotiates with him, will probably pay him starter money or something close. I dont see us tying up anymore money in the ILB position, especially for a player that will be a back up on our team for the considerable future.

I agree. If he gets starter money, no way we match. If he gets very low starter money, or good backup money, there's a good chance we retain him. He's a good contributor on STs.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Once again I agree with you. Imac-21's idea makes sense for a lesser player, but Grant showed starter ability and because he was in for Willis, everyone noticed. I would be greatly surprised if we match as well.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

crabtree is more comparable to ken dorsey than alex smith.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. If he gets starter money, no way we match. If he gets very low starter money, or good backup money, there's a good chance we retain him. He's a good contributor on STs.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Once again I agree with you. Imac-21's idea makes sense for a lesser player, but Grant showed starter ability and because he was in for Willis, everyone noticed. I would be greatly surprised if we match as well.

I'm not sold he'll get big money. There's film on him as a starter as a Ram, and that film got him to the street last year. I'm skeptical two games filling in on the best front-seven in the league will net him a major contract. But I also don't think he'll get a small contract, per se, with several teams needing help at LB.

It'll be interesting to see how this one shakes out. My first thought was he would be gone. Now I'm not certain. Our plans for Bowman also factor in.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sold he'll get big money. There's film on him as a starter as a Ram, and that film got him to the street last year. I'm skeptical two games filling in on the best front-seven in the league will net him a major contract. But I also don't think he'll get a small contract, per se, with several teams needing help at LB.

It'll be interesting to see how this one shakes out. My first thought was he would be gone. Now I'm not certain. Our plans for Bowman also factor in.

Who said anything about big money and who cares what he did in St. Louis? His most recent and thus his only pertinent film says alot about what Grant brings to the table - today.

I have full faith in Marathe & Baalke but I think this is a risky move if our intent is to keep him, IMO.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

See, again, this is where your credibility goes down the can.

In Smith's seven years in the league, no receiver has put up numbers like Crabtree has, poor as Crabtree's performance has been at times. Now, it's possible all of Smith's receivers have been garbage. And there's probably some truth to that. But I don't think it's a coincidence that no WRs have produced with Smith at QB. It's worth noting Antonio Bryant improved by 500 yards and 4 TDs when he left Smith for Jeff Garcia.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I'm sorry, but you're an idiot. Everything I ever said about Cazic and Smith now applies to you and Crabtree. You have honestly said some of the most ignorant things I have read on this board.

I'm torn between two options with you. Either Crabtree broke your heart, or Smith is sucking your dick.

It's offensive to way you slobber all over Smith on this board then turn around and treat Crabtree like he's the worst player in the league.

As Crimson said earlier, if your standards for wanting to get rid of Crabtree are he hasn't lived up to his draft spot and he's taken too long to establish himself, you should have cut bait with Smith 4 years ago.