• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread, WR hunt, Cap Space now $4.768M not counting JJ and Jacobs

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised that the Niners Org is not looking into or talking to Morgan about resigning? Maybe Morgan looking for a bigger pay?

If the Jags want him, consider him gone. Those fools gave an old and injured CB $5 mill for one year.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Jags want him, consider him gone. Those fools gave an old and injured CB $5 mill for one year.

i say we dangle the great michael crabtree for a 2nd rounder and see if they bite. then we can use the pick on sanu

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i say we dangle the great michael crabtree for a 2nd rounder and see if they bite. then we can use the pick on sanu

Yes, you've said this before. It's every bit as ridiculous an idea now as it was then.

Ridiculous for the 49ers: We trade our top receiver for a second-round pick and then use our first-round pick to draft the player who very arguably most resembles him.

Ridiculous for the Jags: If Crabtree is so bad, why give up the 38th pick? If Sanu is so good, why not just draft him at 38?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you've said this before. It's every bit as ridiculous an idea now as it was then.

Ridiculous for the 49ers: We trade our top receiver for a second-round pick and then use our first-round pick to draft the player who very arguably most resembles him.

Ridiculous for the Jags: If Crabtree is so bad, why give up the 38th pick? If Sanu is so good, why not just draft him at 38?

it's the jags, they fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down. some people think crabtree has potential even if i don't. he's still young enough that another team might give up a pick.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
it's the jags, they fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down. some people think crabtree has potential even if i don't. he's still young enough that another team might give up a pick.

I'm having deja vu here.

So why exactly Sanu will be so much of an upgrade over Crabtree? He's roughly the same size Crabtree is (Sanu 1/2" taller, Crabtree's arms 3/4" longer, Crabtree three pounds heavier), is slow, is not at all a deep threat, is at his best working the middle of the field. They seem like remarkably similar players. The fact that you're pushing so hard for Sanu makes me think you just have a personal dislike of Crabtree. Which, of course, I already suspected.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If the 49ers lost ANY of their receivers (Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn) I would not lose a second of sleep over it.

I am actually still more upset that Braylon never found his way in our system.
I had big hopes he would become our true #1 WR, like back in his Cleveland days when he had 1300 yards receiving and 16 TDs.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports that free agent cornerback Cortland Finnegan is actively “recruiting” free agent wideout Vincent Jackson to join Finnegan on his next NFL team. Cole suspects that team is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Finnegan has reportedly been text messaging back and forth with Jackson. The Bucs certainly have the salary cap space to land both players, and Finnegan and Jackson play positions of need in Tampa.

Bucs incumbent No. 1 receiver Mike Williams played more like a No. 2 last season. Arrelious Benn has been a disappointment, unable to break free from a receiver committee with the similarly pedestrian Dezmon Briscoe. Preston Parker is strictly a slot guy.

With Ronde Barber unsigned for 2012 and considering retirement, Finnegan would be a natural replacement — and upgrade — at right cornerback. Left corner Aqib Talib is in danger of a league-imposed suspension.

The Buccaneers have been criticized for sitting on large amounts of cap space in past offseasons, but they’re publicly committed to opening the pocketbook this spring.

Jackson and Finnegan would be an awfully aggressive way to start.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm having deja vu here.

So why exactly Sanu will be so much of an upgrade over Crabtree? He's roughly the same size Crabtree is (Sanu 1/2" taller, Crabtree's arms 3/4" longer, Crabtree three pounds heavier), is slow, is not at all a deep threat, is at his best working the middle of the field. They seem like remarkably similar players. The fact that you're pushing so hard for Sanu makes me think you just have a personal dislike of Crabtree. Which, of course, I already suspected.

they are similar but sanu doesn't come with bad feet, poor route running, crappy hands, etc.

i would like crabtree if he didn't suck. whether it is because of chronic foot problems i dont know, but his college production was a result of the texas tech offense that didn't even miss a beat when he didn't play. we wasted a pick on him when a 2nd rounder such as sanu could have given us better production.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
they are similar but sanu doesn't come with bad feet, poor route running, crappy hands, etc.

i would like crabtree if he didn't suck. whether it is because of chronic foot problems i dont know, but his college production was a result of the texas tech offense that didn't even miss a beat when he didn't play. we wasted a pick on him when a 2nd rounder such as sanu could have given us better production.

Two thoughts on that.

First, TT was still one of the top passing offenses in the league when Crabtree left, but they fell off by about 30 yards and a passing TD a game after he left, and by considerably more than that (90 yards and a TD) from his first year.

Second, TT has been effective because it is a spread offense. They spread the field, but they also spread the ball. Except when they had Michael Crabtree. In those two years, they had a go-to receiver and he was it. There's no doubt that the system inflated his numbers. But he was a very good college player in his own right.

Finally, if we're talking about getting rid of guys because we could have gotten more value with the pick, why in the world are we entertaining bringing Smith back? We wasted a pick on him when we could have gotten similar production from Orton in the 4th round.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when crabtree was injured they didn't miss a beat. this isn't about where crabtree was drafted, it's about what he can do now. we drafted damaged goods that we never should have drafted in the first place. even without the injury there were concerns that he as nothing more than a product of the system

of course, bring up smith again...

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Falcons re-signed Jason Snelling to a three-year contract. He was one of my favorite FAs available this year. Snelling and Tolbert are two of my favorite backs in the league, and while neither are/were ever likely to be strongly considered by the 49ers, Snelling would have almost definitely been the more realistic of the two.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
when crabtree was injured they didn't miss a beat. this isn't about where crabtree was drafted, it's about what he can do now. we drafted damaged goods that we never should have drafted in the first place. even without the injury there were concerns that he as nothing more than a product of the system

of course, bring up smith again...

He didn't miss a game so far as I know. He was dealing with the injury late in his senior season, and the team went 1-2 to end the year after starting the year 10-0. They had three of their lowest passing totals of the season. I'd say that's missing a beat.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What to you guys think of Ben Grubbs? Haven't seen him play much.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What to you guys think of Ben Grubbs? Haven't seen him play much.

I would love to see him play here in SF. Big, mauling RG that would fit nicely next to Anthony Davis. Strong guy that has really done a great job opening up holes for Ray Rice the last several years. Very underrated part of the OL and if we get him for anything NEAR 5-6 mil per I would be ecstatic.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is Grubbs smart? lol....

that may come off bad, but Synder, an apparent smart blocker, definitely helped/aided in A Davis excellent season where as Rachal brought Davis down.

Luv to have a mauler, but at the same time, I want a blocker in run or pass smart enough to read blitzes and pick up the right guy.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers reportedly placed an original, seventh-round tender on restricted free agent ILB Larry Grant.
Source: CSN Bay Area
Mar 9 - 11:46 AM

Looks like we will be getting another 7th round pick.