• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread, WR hunt, Cap Space now $4.768M not counting JJ and Jacobs

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we can add backup ILB to our off-season needs. I know we don't want to spend a lot of money for Grant but I don't get the move.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't want to pay the extra $700k. They stick to their valuation. Which is why I'm dying to see what is on the table for Alex. I get the feeling it ain't as much as some think.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As said, if you can negotiate, I might have put the second-round tender on him and see what we could get for him.

That said, we're likely to get a pick - albeit a 7th - for a player we got off the scrap heap last year. It shouldn't be too hard to replace Grant.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
they are two seperate situations...

To some extent. But the reasoning you apply to Crabtree applies just as much to Smith. I think it's ironic that most of your general complaints about Crabtree (physically limited, not worth the pick, taking too long to develop) could be applied - and have been - to Smith.

wehavevd

wehavevd
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just to interject, I think the main difference I perceive with Crabtree and Alex is the attitude.....Alex works as hard as anyone on the team whereas Crabtree has yet to make it through an entire camp intact. The difference being that Alex holds camp Alex during the lockout while Crabtree sits out his 3rd camp in a row with a bum foot.........

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Larry Grant is gone

49ers only gave him $1.29M which is a 7th round tender.
$1.92M was the cost of a 2nd round tender.

I thought he played well when Willis was down. I personally think he was worth the $1.92M for another year. I think we are gonna lose him. It would be hard to replace him with a 7th rounder, you'd have to get lucky with that pick to get someone who will play as well as he did.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smith is capable of being a quality starter in the league. crabtree is never going to develop into a #1.

they are not general complaints, they are major concerns. whatever qb we have, we need to have talent around them. we cannot have garbage like crabtree being the #1 option at wr ever again. crabtree should thrive with a tight end like vernon commanding so much attention. 1on1 vernon and he lights it up. 1on1 crabtree and a corner could use it in his youtube highlight videos.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.92 for our top special teams guy seems reasonable. bad move imo.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The market for Freeney
10:46 AM ET
Dwight Freeney | Colts | Interested: Titans?, Seahawks?, Saints?, Dolphins?, Jaguars?, Bills?

With Mario Williams all but set to hit the free agent market as of Tuesday afternoon -- and get a contract that could make him the league's highest-paid defender -- the teams that need help in that department now have another option: According to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, the Indianapolis Colts are fielding calls inquiring on DE Dwight Freeney in trade, according to league sources. The sources add that the club is open to dealing Freeney, but will do so only if the price is right.

As with Williams, we essentially have to start with Freeney's market being 31 teams deep and work backwards from there. The Syracuse product has worked extensively in the 4-3, and the Colts' possible switch to a 3-4 could be a reason why he's even available, so for the purposes of this exercise, let's focus on the teams that typically use that scheme. Moreover, teams that are up against the salary cap may have issues working around Freeney's cap hit -- he's slated to make $14.035 million in 2012, the final year of his deal. And, naturally, there are some teams that would not deem a 32-year-old DE worth surrendering a high draft pick (though we're just speculating that this is his price tag).

If the Colts don't mind seeing Freeney twice a season, the Jacksonville Jaguars and Tennessee Titans are two teams that could use the help at DE -- and are expected to make upgrades of some sort this offseason. Other teams that could make sense on some level include the Buffalo Bills, New Orleans Saints and Seattle Seahawks. And if the Miami Dolphins are planning on running more of a hybrid scheme this season, he could be a fit there. (And could potentially reunite with Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne).

While the pursuit of Williams may attract more attention, Freeney represents a nice fall-back option for teams willing to donate some of their draft capital towards Indy's rebuilding efforts.

- Tim Kavanagh

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He wasn't out top special teams guy

I would have easily given Grant that $1.92M for one year, and made it 2nd round compensation. We are $30M under the cap still, we can afford to give him that extra $600K this year.

I am almost convinced some team within the division nabs him, because for them it will be addition by subtraction, and for a 7th rounder that's as close to free as you are gonna get.

We also already need to draft an ILB, now we'll need to draft 2. I would have MUCH preferred Grant plus a rookie vs. two rookies.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just to interject, I think the main difference I perceive with Crabtree and Alex is the attitude.....Alex works as hard as anyone on the team whereas Crabtree has yet to make it through an entire camp intact. The difference being that Alex holds camp Alex during the lockout while Crabtree sits out his 3rd camp in a row with a bum foot.........

I do agree with that. I think Crabtree is a harder worker than he gets credit for, but he's definitely not much of a team player.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have easily given Grant that $1.92M for one year, and made it 2nd round compensation. We are $30M under the cap still, we can afford to give him that extra $600K this year.

I am almost convinced some team within the division nabs him, because for them it will be addition by subtraction, and for a 7th rounder that's as close to free as you are gonna get.

We also already need to draft an ILB, now we'll need to draft 2. I would have MUCH preferred Grant plus a rookie vs. two rookies.

Im not arguing that he'll be gone. Just that he was not our top special teams player

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I do agree with that. I think Crabtree is a harder worker than he gets credit for, but he's definitely not much of a team player.

Crabtree has to realize that this IS his shot in the NFL. He's had 3 years to prove he can be a #1 WR in the NFL. If he doesn't become that team player and put in 100% effort in every aspect he's probably going to continue having 900 yard, 5 TD seasons, eventually get not re-signed or worse even cut by the 49ers, and he probably won't get another chance anywhere else to be the #1 guy. He'll be done.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
smith is capable of being a quality starter in the league. crabtree is never going to develop into a #1.

they are not general complaints, they are major concerns. whatever qb we have, we need to have talent around them. we cannot have garbage like crabtree being the #1 option at wr ever again. crabtree should thrive with a tight end like vernon commanding so much attention. 1on1 vernon and he lights it up. 1on1 crabtree and a corner could use it in his youtube highlight videos.

It depends how you define a #1. If we're talking a Fitz or a CJ, no, Crabtree won't ever get there. But Smith won't ever be an elite QB. Smith is probably about 15th in the league at QB. Crabtree is probably around 30 as a WR. I see them as pretty comparable right now, and frankly I think Crabtree has more upside, though I would love Smith to prove me wrong.

I agree Smith needs more help from his WRs. But the WRs need more help from their Smith. We have an elite TE. The odds of also getting an elite WR are slim right now. So Smith has to be willing and able to throw into tight windows.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends how you define a #1. If we're talking a Fitz or a CJ, no, Crabtree won't ever get there. But Smith won't ever be an elite QB. Smith is probably about 15th in the league at QB. Crabtree is probably around 30 as a WR. I see them as pretty comparable right now, and frankly I think Crabtree has more upside, though I would love Smith to prove me wrong.

I agree Smith needs more help from his WRs. But the WRs need more help from their Smith. We have an elite TE. The odds of also getting an elite WR are slim right now. So Smith has to be willing and able to throw into tight windows.

Instead of throwing out of bounds or at the receivers' feet. I don't know if Smith doesn't trust his receivers, doesn't want to throw that costly interception, or maybe Harbaugh just tells him not to take chances. He had ample opportunities to make plays against them Giants, but did not do it.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

Instead of throwing out of bounds or at the receivers' feet. I don't know if Smith doesn't trust his receivers, doesn't want to throw that costly interception, or maybe Harbaugh just tells him not to take chances. He had ample opportunities to make plays against them Giants, but did not do it.

so they get tackled for a 3 yard gain and the clock keeps ticking? vernon was the only guy who stepped up

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

crabtree couldn't even get seperation from a linebacker. wtf is smith suppose to do about that? webster was basically humping crabtree's leg the whole game. i'm surpised he didn't get pregnant