• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread, WR hunt, Cap Space now $4.768M not counting JJ and Jacobs

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Robert Mathis has now agreed to a long-term contract with the Colts and avoids the franchise tag. Length and financial terms weren't disclosed.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maiocco just said on twitter giving up the first round pick for Wallace is no big deal since it is #30.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Robert Mathis has now agreed to a long-term contract with the Colts and avoids the franchise tag. Length and financial terms weren't disclosed.

Do they franchise Garcon? Might be a good idea if they anticipate starting a rookie QB.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maiocco just said on twitter giving up the first round pick for Wallace is no big deal since it is #30.

it's a huge deal. gonna need to overpay just to have a chance to walk away with wallace. i'd rather keep the pick or even move up for floyd

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think our defense would suffocate Alex Smith and the Seahawks worse than the Giants D suffocated him in the NFC championship game, and we'd sack him more too. It would be real ugly. Plus there is no athlete on the Seahawks offense as good as Vernon, there's a couple of decent TEs but we could cover them and the WRs.

They have them, but they don't use them. Miller disappeared in that offense.

Seattle worries me a bit. Their D is one good pass rusher away from being an elite unit - though it would probably hurt their run D somewhat. And their offense has some talent. A lot of young players along the OL who should start putting it together. A good stable of RBs and good TE if they decide to use him. The WRs are a bit of a question mark, but Doug Baldwin was a revelation, and Rice was starting to look dangerous when he went down. Add in Golden Tate, and they've got some talent there. They're still a couple years from being genuinely good on offense IMO, but with that D, they may be very close to being a real tough team.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
it's a huge deal. gonna need to overpay just to have a chance to walk away with wallace. i'd rather keep the pick or even move up for floyd

I agree it's a pretty big deal. Less so than if it were the 16th pick, perhaps, but still a significant pick. The 30th guy should be a good starter. We could sign a high-priced FA and get a very good player at 30. Signing Wallace could sacrifice a pro bowl quality interior OL, a good DL or CB, or another WR along with whatever FA WR we would end up adding.

Having said that, Wallace is a sure thing and a very good, young player. I could live with the move, but it would be a pretty significant one.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seahawks have 30+ cap room? they could make a decent splash to improve on both sides of the ball.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not agreeing with MM. Technically you don't need to overpay. You just make a big donation in the first year then balance it out later.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Deadline passed. They didn't have enough time to tag Garcon.

Yeah, figured that from the articles that were coming out. Strange that they would rush to get Mathis signed today when they didn't want to use the tag on someone else. Though I guess they wanted to keep Mathis, so they needed to lock him up with a deal or use the tag.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would be jumping off the walls if we got VJ and Eddie Royal. Then we let Morgan and Ginn walk.

If VJ gets too expensive my next choice would be Meachem and Royal. Both Meachem and Royal can probably be signed for reasonable $2 to 3M/year deals.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers Free Agents: Maintaining Lines Of Communication - Niners Nation

49ers Free Agents: Maintaining Lines Of Communication

by David Fucillo
Mar 6, 2012 10:01 AM PST

Following the wrap of the franchise tag period, everybody in the 49ers world took some time to discuss the wide receiver position (Maiocco, Barrows, Lam). Many of us are operating under the assumption that the 49ers are going to pursue some of the various wide receivers available next Tuesday. The team will be adding receivers in some form or fashion due to the fact that only three receivers are signed for 2012. However, we really don't know what types of receivers the 49ers will be looking for in a week's time.

In Maiocco's post (linked above), he mentioned that the team is keeping the lines of communication open with both Joshua Morgan and Ted Ginn Jr. Although neither is particularly surprising, I am curious to see what the 49ers decide to do with Ginn. He was a spectacular return man for the 49ers over the last two years as he was among the league leaders in both punt returns and kick returns.

At the same time, his receiving skills continue to leave a little something to be desired. As a return man he is most definitely worth bringing back. The question is whether the 49ers can get enough in the receiving game to justify the signing. I would argue even on the low end as a receiver he is well worth the cost because of the impact he has once he gets the ball in his hands. I don't think we'll see a significant bidding war for Ginn, but given how solid he has been as a return man, I would not be surprised to see somebody push the cost a little past what the 49ers are comfortable spending on Ginn.

If Ginn ends up walking, what becomes of the primary kick and punt returner?

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be jumping off the walls if we got VJ and Eddie Royal. Then we let Morgan and Ginn walk.

If VJ gets too expensive my next choice would be Meachem and Royal. Both Meachem and Royal can probably be signed for reasonable $2 to 3M/year deals.

I'd be happy with Meachem and Royal.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MM says Spillman will cost $1.08 mill against the cap next season. That frees up about a mill, nice.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Free Agent Bargain Bin - Offseason Low Down - Rotoworld.com

Meachem may be capable of more than his past statistics and role illustrate, however. He was always the Saints' best blocking receiver, playing over Colston in all one-wideout sets, and has been charged with just 11 career drops by Pro Football Focus. The Boston Globe reported in February that pro scouts consider Meachem a superior free agent to Colston as a less scheme-dependent receiver who could produce at a higher rate in an offense that utilized him differently. Either Meachem is going to be a steal on the open market, or he will generate more interest than anyone expects.

Prediction: 49ers on a three-year, $13 million contract.

I'd do back flips for that deal.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meachem and lloyd could end up being good bang for the buck. although i would rather colston

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
NFL Free Agent Bargain Bin - Offseason Low Down - Rotoworld.com

Meachem may be capable of more than his past statistics and role illustrate, however. He was always the Saints' best blocking receiver, playing over Colston in all one-wideout sets, and has been charged with just 11 career drops by Pro Football Focus. The Boston Globe reported in February that pro scouts consider Meachem a superior free agent to Colston as a less scheme-dependent receiver who could produce at a higher rate in an offense that utilized him differently. Either Meachem is going to be a steal on the open market, or he will generate more interest than anyone expects.

Prediction: 49ers on a three-year, $13 million contract.

I'd do back flips for that deal.

That deal would be sweet. I can't see it happening if teams consider him a better FA pickup than Colston, though. Unless that's a major knock on Colston.