• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread, WR hunt, Cap Space now $4.768M not counting JJ and Jacobs

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured he was going to the Gray Bar Motel:

Jerome Simpson - WR - Bengals

Free agent Jerome Simpson pleaded guilty to a felony drug count of "prohibited act relating to a controlled substance" in a Kenton County, Ohio court on Thursday morning.
The plea agreement -- Simpson was originally charged with trafficking marijuana -- includes a 60-day jail sentence as recommended by prosecutors. Per Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Simpson would be suspended "a minimum of four games" under the NFL's drug policy if the judge enacts the 60-day punishment. Simpson's free agent market has gone right in the gutter.
Source: Associated Press
Mar 1 - 10:46 AM

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit.

Brandon Lloyd - WR - Rams

Rams COO Kevin Demoff confirmed to TurfShowTimes.com that the team has begun contract talks with free agent Brandon Lloyd.
"We had initial discussions in Indianapolis," Demoff said. "We plan to continue talking." The Rams will pursue cornerbacks in free agency, and re-signing Lloyd would have addressed two of their biggest needs before the draft. St. Louis would like to put itself in a situation where it can draft the best player available, regardless of where it ends up after a trade down.
Source: Turf Show Times
Mar 1 - 9:08 AM

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vincent Jackson - WR - Chargers

One AFC executive told Yahoo Sports that he's convinced the Chargers will place the franchise tag on free agent Vincent Jackson.
Despite the $13.7 million franchise number for Jackson, there is a belief around the NFL that the Chargers are unwilling to set him free. "I know there are seven or eight teams lined up for Jackson, but I think [GM A.J. Smith] is going to tag him," said the AFC exec. "That would be a total A.J. move, plus I think he’s going to have a hard time with the fan base if they let [Jackson] go."
Source: Yahoo Sports
Mar 1 - 12:46 AM

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I want Lloyd.

Why do you want Lloyd? Better teams shut him down. His only outstanding skill is his hands, otherwise he's slow and small.

I'd much rather have VJ. I'm been waiting ~10 years since the T.O. days for us to get that big, physical receiver that's good for RAC yards. Like an Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, etc. I don't want us to screw around with smaller, slower WRs anymore (Lloyd).

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Or a guy like Kenny Britt pre-injury, Julio Jones, etc. That's the kind of receiver I want.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you want Lloyd? Better teams shut him down. His only outstanding skill is his hands, otherwise he's slow and small.

I'd much rather have VJ. I'm been waiting ~10 years since the T.O. days for us to get that big, physical receiver that's good for RAC yards. Like an Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, etc. I don't want us to screw around with smaller, slower WRs anymore (Lloyd).

Price.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

You get what you pay for. :-)

The thing that bothers me is the type of receiver I want, you CAN get lucky and draft a big WR like that outside of the top 10 picks. Kenny Britt (1st round 30th) Demaryius Thomas (1st round 22th) Brandon Marshall (round 4 pick 119) Vincent Jackson (round 2 pick 61).

But for some reason, the 49ers NEVER take a chance drafting a bigger WR in the draft. It seems like must have drafted the least number of WRs in the draft in the past 10 years. Crabtree was our big splash (who's not that big and physical anyways), and then other than that it's been these smaller later round dudes like Ronald Johnson, Kyle Williams, Josh Morgan, Jason Hill, Brandon Williams, etc.

I had high hopes for Braylon too.

But I'm REALLY hoping this year we take a bigger WR in the 2nd or later rounds and we strike gold. It seems like this is the year there will be several 6'3"+ raw WRs available past the 1st round.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All a team needs to do is front load a Wallace contract and give up their first. Seems like that would be a virtual lock to get him.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All a team needs to do is front load a Wallace contract and give up their first. Seems like that would be a virtual lock to get him.

Sorry I just don't see Wallace as such a great receiver that's he's worth a huge contract plus our 1st.

I'd rather get a free agent WR and keep our 1st.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Morgan - WR - 49ers CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco mentions Jacksonville as a possible destination for free agent Josh Morgan.
The Niners have openly stated that they want Morgan back, but "nothing is cooking" and "several teams" are expected to have interest if the 26-year-old hits the market. The Jaguars connection may be dot-connecting because Jags wideouts coach Jerry Sullivan was Morgan's position coach from 2008-2010

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe we can trade crabtree to the jags and use the pick on sanu

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Goldson's deal progress
3:59PM ET
Dashon Goldson | 49ers

Last offseason, there were reports that the San Francisco 49ers had offered free agent safety Dashon Goldson a five-year, $25 million deal. This offer was rejected at the time, according to sources, because Goldson's agent Drew Rosenhaus assured him he could get a better deal elsewhere. After that plan went kerplunk, Rosenhaus emailed every NFL team indicating that his client could be had for a one-year deal for "approximately $3 million." In the end, the Niners re-signed him for one year, $2 million.

With another negotiation with San Francisco ongoing, Goldson has elected to switch his representation to CAA, according to Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area. As Maiocco notes, CAA has an extensive relationship with the club, counting Alex Smith, Patrick Willis, Justin Smith, Aldon Smith, Ray McDonald, Jonathan Goodwin and Donte Whitner amongst its other clients.

Though Goldson may get the franchise tag within the next few days, his switch to CAA may increase the likelihood that he'll be able to work out a long term pact with the 49ers sometime thereafter.

- Tim Kavanagh

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Morgan decision
2:35PM ET
Josh Morgan | 49ers

After ending the 2011 season on injured reserve, WR Josh Morgan has uncertain prospects as a free agent this offseason. It's possible that he'll return to the San Francisco 49ers, but there are also a number of other teams that could be interested.

On Thursday, Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area reported that there was "some buzz" on the WR at the NFL scouting combine, with the Jacksonville Jaguars cited as one of the teams potentially interested.

But will he stay in San Francisco? A source close to the WR revealed to Maiocco that "nothing is cooking" with the Niners right now, though obviously that can change prior to the opening of the market on March 13.

- Tim Kavanagh​