• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason thread, WR hunt, Cap Space now $4.768M not counting JJ and Jacobs

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Schefter just said on twitter that the 49ers plan to tag Goldson.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the Boston Globe, some NFL scouts believe free agent Robert Meachem could have a bigger impact in an offense outside New Orleans than fellow free agent Marques Colston.
Meachem is almost just as big as Colston with equally as soft hands and much better long speed. The Globe's Greg Bedard says the Saints will "probably let Colston walk thinking (they) have Meachem in the bag" for cheaper, but it might not go as they plan. Meachem could be welcomed by a surprisingly hot market.
Source: Boston Globe Feb 26 - 12:28 AM

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this picture that is said to be the Niners' Draft War Room. It's in this quality so that you can't see the names. And no, the real world doesn't work like CSI where you can just zoom in, enhance, zoom in, enhance, etc. Even if you could, this could be a different year or we could change our mind since.

View attachment 2012

Attachments

• WR.jpg
    WR.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 37

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013 draft looks pretty stacks at S, so maybe it's good timing.

Wow, that's a first. Good timing indeed. When was the last time a draft was stacked at the S position? not very often imo.

I wonder if a good one will be there at 32?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that's a first. Good timing indeed. When was the last time a draft was stacked at the S position? not very often imo.

should be

i'd love to add harrison smith if he falls out of the 2nd. smith and mcdonald could lock down our safety spots for the next decade

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Update: Brooks, Niners close deal
2:54 PM ET
Ahmad Brooks | 49ers

UPDATE: ESPN's Josina Anerson reports that the Niners and Ahmad Brooks have come to terms on a six-year contract that will pay the linebacker a maximum of $44.5 million.
---
NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that the San Francisco 49ers are "deep in talks" with linebacker Ahmad Brooks. Once the contract is finalized, La Canfora expects the deal to pay Brooks about $35 million over the course of five seasons.

In other contract news around the NFL, La Canfora notes that the two-year contract the Green Bay Packers used to keep Jermichael Finley off the free-agent market will pay the tight end $7 million each season, plus a $1 million signing bonus. Specifically, he will have $950,000 in base salary this season and $4.45 million in 2013 with a $3.5 million roster bonus each season.

Meanwhile, Washington Redskins center Will Montgomery can earn up to $12 million over the course of his four-year extension, though he will receive no bonuses.

- Tom Carpenter​

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like your optimism. FS will be a need next year. Dashon should play hard this coming season as he is playing for a contract. Was Whitner signed for two years? If so, he will be a free agent in 2013.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
should be

i'd love to add harrison smith if he falls out of the 2nd. smith and mcdonald could lock down our safety spots for the next decade

TJ was someone i was looking at when he was still undecided. But I'm sure he and perhaps Smith might fly up to mid teens and early 20s.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Wallace - WR - Steelers

Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com insists no team will successfully sign restricted free agent Mike Wallace away from the Steelers.
The Steelers have made it clear through their words, if not their actions, that Wallace is going nowhere. Even if an interested team decides to forfeit their first-round pick, nearly $10 million for 2012, and a pricey long-term deal, the Steelers can free up more cap room to match the offer. "So all you would be doing is their negotiating," explains Prisco.
Source: CBSSports.com
Feb 28 - 4:42 PM

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vincent Jackson - WR - Chargers

The Washington Post reports the Redskins are "making plans" to sign a "high-profile" free agent wide receiver in March.
The Redskins no longer have a single proven receiver who can separate from top corners and make plays after the catch. The team plans to address the position via free agency as opposed to the draft. Vincent Jackson and Pierre Garcon are considered the top targets, though Marques Colston is another option if he escapes New Orleans. Reggie Wayne would only be courted as part of a package deal with Peyton Manning.
Related: Redskins
Source: Washington Post
Feb 29 - 1:24 PM

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins keep on trying that's for sure. If they manage to draft Rg3, he and VJ(potentially) could be great for them and terrible for NFC east defenses.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CNNSI's Peter King on Wayne and Manning (a little on Garcon too):

The latest in the Peyton Manning story involves a Manning-Reggie Wayne reunion, which I'm told at least two potential suitor teams would seriously consider in an attempt to lure the rehabbing Manning if the Colts cut him between now and the March 8 deadline Indianapolis has for exercising a $28 million option bonus to keep the legendary quarterback.

Such a pairing would not only be a plus for Manning, who would love to see it happen, according to one NFL source. But also it would allow him to go to his new team with one familiar receiving face, and if you can say one thing about Manning, it's that he loves familiarity, particularly in how his receivers anticipate throws and the precision of their route-running.

Wayne, who teamed with Manning for 10 of his 11 seasons with the Colts, would allow Manning to enter a new phase in his career with a receiver who could be the template for other receivers on the team to emulate. I'm told the 33-year-old Wayne, a looming free agent when the market opens March 13, is very interested in the combo platter also. Wayne caught 862 passes in his Colt career, including 397 in a four-year span with Manning.

Where would the best fit be? Let's examine Manning's most likely suitors to see where Wayne matches up with team needs:

• Miami. With Brandon Marshall at one outside receiver and Davone Bess a good slot player, Wayne could slide seamlessly into the other starting receiver spot, ahead of Brian Hartline.

• New York Jets. Not so good a fit for Wayne, with Plaxico Burress (assuming he re-signs in free agency) and the pouty Santonio Holmes penciled in as starters. But you saw GM Mike Tannenbaum erase the reliable and well-respected Chad Pennington easily in 2008 for Brett Favre. If the Jets have to let one of the receivers go, even by taking Holmes' cap hit, don't be surprised to see them do so if it means getting Manning.

• Seattle. The injury-prone Sidney Rice makes this a tough call. But the Seahawks certainly have the cash to make this happen, and it's exceedingly logical to think they'd be interested in both. With Rice and Mike Williams the current projected starters, you'd think Pete Carroll would use Williams and Golden Tate as swing players and injury insurance, with the heady Doug Baldwin the kind of slot receiver Manning could use as his new Brandon Stokley.

• Washington. The 'Skins are crying out for a No. 1 receiver, with stopgap Jabar Gaffney and aging Santana Moss the two incumbents. Washington could use two receivers, not just one. Imagine the Redskins with Manning, Wayne and Mario Manningham next fall. Scary ... if Manning's healthy, of course.

• Arizona. Manning to Larry Fitzgerald. Dreamy. Manning to Fitzgerald and Reggie Wayne. Dreamier.

• Kansas City. The Chiefs seem much more likely to build around Matt Cassel and a free-agent import to compete with him, and keep Jonathan Baldwin and Dwayne Bowe. But Peyton Manning can make teams do things they never foresaw.

The guess here? Manning's going to be in an incredible power seat if he and his rehabbing neck are healthy when he works out for teams in the near future -- assuming, of course, the Colts release him by the start of free agency. Miami's owner, Stephen Ross, will be drooling to get him. As will the Jets' triumvirate of Woody Johnson, Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan. Seattle, an upstart, would provide Manning the relative privacy he'd love in the remote Northwest, a superstar trying to win one more title with a smart staff and a rising defense. With Washington, Manning would be matched with a coach he greatly admires, Mike Shanahan, and a top-10 defense.

And one more note from potential free agency, according to a source close to another free-agent receiver: Pierre Garcon, another Colt soon to be free, turned down a five-year contract offer from Indianapolis last week. More than one general manager at the combine said that's a sign Garcon doesn't want to do anything until he knows what Manning is going to do. What if, say, Washington GM Bruce Allen, with $49 million in cap room before adding the earned-incentives from the 2011 salary-cap year, says to Manning: "We'll recreate your 2010 receiving corps, and you'll have a defense already strong enough to play at a Super Bowl level.'' Could be very tempting.

It all hinges, of course, on Manning being healthy enough to be Manning. It won't be long before we know if he is.

Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne could keep connection going in new NFL city - Peter King - SI.com

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nicks' thoughts on the tag
8:35AM ET
Carl Nicks | Saints

There is a possible future world where the New Orleans Saints come to a long-term agreement with QB Drew Brees in the next few days, leaving them free to use the franchise tag on OG Carl Nicks. With that outcome somewhat of a possibility, James Varney of the New Orleans Times-Picayune checked in with Nicks for his thoughts on the matter. After confirming that being tagged would bother him, Nicks pondered the mathematical strategy of the Saints using the designation on him.

"I think the tag is around $9.4 million and if you're going to do that you might as well give me a deal because it's not going to be that much a year," he explained. "If they tag me it's going to be more than I'd be paid on average so it doesn't make too much sense to me."

In addition, he did not rule out having hard feelings if he is the man to be franchised. "I just don't know," he said when asked if he'd be more reluctant to sign with New Orleans if he played out a tag year. "I know initially I'll be upset and I'll be frustrated and I'll -- I don't know. It's either I'll be mad with them and maybe just crybaby it out or I might just suck it up and hope for a long-term deal. I can't say now because it hasn't happened but knowing who I am I think I'll get over it and hope and pray we get a new deal done. We'll see, I guess."

The Saints are certainly in a precarious position, as it's believed that they want to bring back Brees and Nicks, as well as other incumbent free agents. Unfortunately, there's only one franchise tag to use, and these are not low-rent players we're talking about, so a multi-year deal is a difficult one to negotiate. Monday's tag deadline approaches quickly.

- Tim Kavanagh

Last edited by a moderator: