• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

offseason targets

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So seeing as how this year appears to be a total bust and Dougie's deadline acquisitions have all pretty much sucked, what UFA's should the sharks be targeting?

Assuming the only potential top 9 guy who is resigned is galiardi, that would open up 2 3rd line spots assuming no trades. Assuming Zues is bought out and braun is resigned, it would give the sharks about 5M-6M for those 2 players.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So seeing as how this year appears to be a total bust and Dougie's deadline acquisitions have all pretty much sucked, what UFA's should the sharks be targeting?

Assuming the only potential top 9 guy who is resigned is galiardi, that would open up 2 3rd line spots assuming no trades. Assuming Zues is bought out and braun is resigned, it would give the sharks about 5M-6M for those 2 players.

If the Sharks fail to make the PO's then you should expect trades. IMO Wilson will go back to a top heavy line-up by aquiring Nash for Pavelski + maybe Demers. I'd also expect Clowe to be moved and replaced with someone faster, better on the forecheck, better defensively, and better at scoring goals like David Jones.

Assuming Handzus is bought out that would leave you a roster of:

Nash - Thornton - Jones
Marleau - Couture - Havlat
Galiardi - ????? - Wingels
????? - Desjardins ?????

Boyle - Vlasic
Burns - ?????
Braun - Murray

Niemi
Griess

That would leave approx $4.25m to sign the remaining 4 players + 13 forward and 7th dman if the cap number stays the same.

My guess is it's 50/50 on Niemi staying or going. IMO he's staying but at the same time I wouldn't be shocked if he was traded.

I also believe McLellan and crew would be job hunting this summer.

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also expect Clowe to be moved and replaced with someone faster, better on the forecheck, better defensively, and better at scoring goals like David Jones.

The-Monkees-singer-Davy-Jones-Dead.jpg

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Winnik? I like that guy a lot... Galiardi, on the other hand.... completely useless. :L

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No Winnik? I like that guy a lot... Galiardi, on the other hand.... completely useless. :L

I would like to see Winnik kept as a 4th liner but I don't think the Sharks will be able to afford him as he'll be fairly expensive especially for a 4th line role.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Murray, trade Nemo, trade Clowe. Fuck it, trade Boyle and rely on Demers and Braun to step up their offensive game. (I think that frees up $15)

Get Parise($8), Kyle Brodziak($1.5), Brad Stuart ($3), Brett Clark ($1.5), Johan Hedburg ($1.5)

marleau-Thornton-Pavs
Parise-Couture-Havlat
Galiardi-Brodziak-Wingels

Vlasic-Burns
Braun-Stuart
Demers-Clark

Stalock-Hedburg

I understand nothing like this will happen. I'm just typing while eating lunch.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off-season target should be a new coaching staff.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would like to see Winnik kept as a 4th liner but I don't think the Sharks will be able to afford him as he'll be fairly expensive especially for a 4th line role.

So in the end they gave up McGinn for nothing??:burt:

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see if they can get a good deal on Stuart as well. If he really wants to be close to his family maybe he will take a cap friendly deal to make it happen.

EDIT: If we did land Stuart you could ship Murray out.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Loco Moco rebuild of the day:

1. Trade boyle+Petrecki to Washington for Johansson and a 1st rounder (12th overall).
2. trade Clowe+Nemo to Toronto for Bozak and a 2nd rounder (roughly 37th overall).
3. Trade marleau to MTL for desharnais and a 2nd rounder (roughly 32nd overall).
4. Trade murray to whoever will take him (Edm?) for a 4th rounder.
5. Buy out zues (if possible deal him for a 7th rounder?)
4. Keep Jumbo. They need some veteran presence and jumbo can still dominate a game better than any shark by far. however, make cooch captain, much like toews and crosby got the C at a very young age. It's clearly possibly to be a successful move.

This leaves the already signed sharks with Jumbo, pavelski, havlat, cooch, bozak, johansson as the top 6. On D: Burns, Vlasic, Demers.

Needs: an entire 4th line (cheap) and 3rd line (including at least one bonafide top 6 forward), a #1 Dman, a #3/4 dman, a #7 dman.

Cap space: 8.7 (originally had) + 6.7 (boyle) +2.5 (murray)+6.9 (marleau), 3.6 (clowe)+1.7 (zues, not after buyout) - 1.5M (bozak) - .9M (johansson) = roughly 27.7M

rebuild steps:
1. Resign ferriero, desjardins, wingels for a total of 2.2M (700k each on 1 year deals). 25.5M left.
2. Resign galiardi, 2 yrs, 2M (1M per year... he shouldnt cost more given his last two seasons). 24.5M left
3. Sign Suter 5 years, 37.5M (7.5M per year) 17M left.
4. resign braun 2 year, 2.5M (1.25M per) 15.75M left.
5. Sign Stuart 2 years 5.5M (3M then 2.5M, avg. 2.75M per) 13M left.
6. Sign David Jones: 3 years, 3.5M per. 9.5M left
7. Sign Hudler 3 years, 3M per... 6.5M left
8. Sign Parenteau 3 year 4.5M per. 2M left
9. Sign stalock, 2-way deal at 1M per at the NHL level 1M left. (keep the 1M for flexibility at the deadline (can add 3M in salary not including the inevitable LTIR relief).

Here is your 2012-13 Sharks:

Jumbo-Pavelski-Bozak
Parenteau-Havlat-Couture
Johansson-Jones-Hudler
galiardi-Desjardins-Wingels
Ferriero

Suter-Burns
Vlasic-Stuart
Demers-Braun
Call up (moore? best camp performer)

Griess-Stalock.

Now that is a scary team at all skating positions and as long at the goaltending holds up, I think that team can actually compete for a cup immediately and has only 2 players above the age of 30, so the rebuild would be immediate. Good speed throughout the lineup, too.

And to top it all off, the sharks would have the 12th(wash), 14th(SJ), 32nd (MTL), 36th(Tor), 44th(SJ), 58th (Compensation for white) picks in this years draft to make sure the team is set 2 or 3 years down the line when the deals to pavs, hudler, jones, parenteau and the like are set to expire.

li0lsh

Hoopla Cash
$ 737.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in the end they gave up McGinn for nothing??:burt:

This is why I was so pissed at the trade. Winnick was always a rental, so we gave up our best prospect and another good one and a young scorer building in our system for a rental in Winnick and TJ.

Such a fucking horrid trade... I can't believe some people don't agree

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is why I was so pissed at the trade. Winnick was always a rental, so we gave up our best prospect and another good one and a young scorer building in our system for a rental in Winnick and TJ.

I thought it was retarded from the minute is as announcd, but i didnt even know bout the part of Winnik being a FA... Man, it just became 100x more retarded

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tmac is missing Todd Richards and Trent Yawning that should be the most pressing need in the offseason, getting the new assistants for Tmac

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I wouldnt want to keep either anyways. Asctually they gave up mcginn and the OHL #1 leading scorer. If sgarbossa's game carries over to the NHL and mcginn emerges as a 20-30 goal player perrenially, then it could become the worst trade in San Jose Sharks history. It honestly wouldnt surprise me one bit.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Sgarbossa wasn't the Sharks best forward prospect. I'd put him 4th or 5th. Having had a chance to talk to Mike Mudd reciently the orgainization ranked him in the 8th to 9th range on thier forward prospect depth.

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt want to keep either anyways. Asctually they gave up mcginn and the OHL #1 leading scorer. If sgarbossa's game carries over to the NHL and mcginn emerges as a 20-30 goal player perrenially, then it could become the worst trade in San Jose Sharks history. It honestly wouldnt surprise me one bit.

what is the OHL? one below AHL?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
what is the OHL? one below AHL?

Ontario Hockey League. It's part of the Canadian Major Junior leagues along with the WHL and QMJHL. It's for kids ages 16-20.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sgarbossa wasn't the Sharks best forward prospect. I'd put him 4th or 5th. Having had a chance to talk to Mike Mudd reciently the orgainization ranked him in the 8th to 9th range on thier forward prospect depth.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would like to see if they can get a good deal on Stuart as well. If he really wants to be close to his family maybe he will take a cap friendly deal to make it happen.

EDIT: If we did land Stuart you could ship Murray out.

There's a good chance this happens. I'll find out more about this. Have an inside source on this one. :)