• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Season Thread - 2013 Edition

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasnt serious about davis senator fan......just messing because he is raking the 1st 4 games plus a good year last year

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have a lot of baseball fans but we are all kinda kept seperate on the SportsHoopla......if we would all make an effort to post in the MLB general board i think it would make for some very good threads and help bring in some more posters

if a mlb fan stops by and doesnt see all the action we have then they will just keep on looking.....we have fans on the hockey board,rangers,giants and braves if we got together the mlb general board could take off...imo

pasting this in a few threads

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers acquired Robinson Chirinos from the Rays today.

:noidea:

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hows that for a balanced line-up

Pierzynski became the seventh different player to homer for the Rangers in their seven games

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Any speculation on why TEX acquired Chirinos from TBR ... and DFA'd Jeff Beliveau?

Beliveau only Round Rock outing was 2.0IP with 1H, 0R, 0K, 0BB. I thought he had a pretty good camp.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any speculation on why TEX acquired Chirinos from TBR ... and DFA'd Jeff Beliveau?

Beliveau only Round Rock outing was 2.0IP with 1H, 0R, 0K, 0BB. I thought he had a pretty good camp.

Open the trading lines of communication?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With 9pm CT starts this week ... leaves me with too much time on my hands/brain.

So ... IMO the most effective arms out of the bullpen through the first two weeks have been ... Scheppers, Ross and Ortiz.

Should add Nathan to that list but since he's the Closer he has to be considered a given ... and even though he's not failed he's scared the heck out of us a couple of times already. So hopefully Wash has learned to keep him out of non-save situations and perhaps later on in the summer back to back save situations in order to keep him "fresh" for the late season/post season. IMO.

So ... without even considering where Feliz fits when he potentially returns perhaps in Aug ... and assuming Soria is game ready at the beginning of June ... what does that mean for the current BP staff? Who is on the bubble?

Frasor -- am uncomfortable with what I have seen so far and even though he's a veteran I expect that unless he turns into a Mike Adams kind of guy and takes the setup job away from Scheppers ... Frasor could be bumped by Soria.

Lowe -- was originally put in the long relief role and that is probably a good fit ... but if he isn't performing effectively when he comes in ... I see Kirkman taking the long role and Soria could bump Lowe.

Kirkman -- he's out of options so its do or die for Kirkman. LIke Al I really think Kirkman is an SP (although perhaps not for TEX). TEX has pretty much given up on him as an SP and isn't in their future staff plan for development ... but could perform the swing role if he returns to his high K performance. Of the three who might get bumped by Soria I think Kirkman is the least likely based on what we have seen so far. I think his primary value was as a LH RP backup for predominantly Ortiz ... but clearly Ortiz has had a good beginning ... so maybe Kirkman does become expendable perhaps in a trade thereby TEX keeps Lowe ... but I actually think Frasor is the one on the bubble if head to head against Kirkman.

Ross is a lock. Ortiz is becoming a lock if he continues ... but suspect he's still on probation. Ortiz is Ross 2.0 ... having made the jump from AA. His performance at every level he's pitched at has been near identical ... so he isn't just a guy who turned it up in ST and is running a hot arm. This is what he does. But ... will see if he holds it all together or tapers off in the summer. Because there are few other LH options in the system ... and because TEX may not know for sure about Ortiz until July - August ... that means Kirkman is going to be kept close (IMO) and means to me that when Soria is really ready it will be one of the RH RPs bumped.

Scheppers -- despite his rough outing last night ... I think TEX envisions Scheppers taking over the setup role until Soria returns and he (and/or Soria) become the alternate closer when TEX elects to not roll Nathan out there on back to back hot weather high leverage games/situations.

This is two weeks in ... probably all going to change while TEX is @ SEA ... with Lowe and/or Frasor coming in and pitching no hit relief for 3.0 or a couple of 1.0 appearances respectively. Kirkman will do himself a lot of good having a couple of super 1.0 or 2.0 appearances too. I still think Frasor is the one on the bubble based on what limited use and performance we have seen to this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 9pm CT starts this week ... leaves me with too much time on my hands/brain.

So ... IMO the most effective arms out of the bullpen through the first two weeks have been ... Scheppers, Ross and Ortiz.

Should add Nathan to that list but since he's the Closer he has to be considered a given ... and even though he's not failed he's scared the heck out of us a couple of times already. So hopefully Wash has learned to keep him out of non-save situations and perhaps later on in the summer back to back save situations in order to keep him "fresh" for the late season/post season. IMO.

So ... without even considering where Feliz fits when he potentially returns perhaps in Aug ... and assuming Soria is game ready at the beginning of June ... what does that mean for the current BP staff? Who is on the bubble?

Frasor -- am uncomfortable with what I have seen so far and even though he's a veteran I expect that unless he turns into a Mike Adams kind of guy and takes the setup job away from Scheppers ... Frasor could be bumped by Soria.

Lowe -- was originally put in the long relief role and that is probably a good fit ... but if he isn't performing effectively when he comes in ... I see Kirkman taking the long role and Soria could bump Lowe.

Kirkman -- he's out of options so its do or die for Kirkman. LIke Al I really think Kirkman is an SP (although perhaps not for TEX). TEX has pretty much given up on him as an SP and isn't in their future staff plan for development ... but could perform the swing role if he returns to his high K performance. Of the three who might get bumped by Soria I think Kirkman is the least likely based on what we have seen so far. I think his primary value was as a LH RP backup for predominantly Ortiz ... but clearly Ortiz has had a good beginning ... so maybe Kirkman does become expendable perhaps in a trade thereby TEX keeps Lowe ... but I actually think Frasor is the one on the bubble if head to head against Kirkman.

Ross is a lock. Ortiz is becoming a lock if he continues ... but suspect he's still on probation. Ortiz is Ross 2.0 ... having made the jump from AA. His performance at every level he's pitched at has been near identical ... so he isn't just a guy who turned it up in ST and is running a hot arm. This is what he does. But ... will see if he holds it all together or tapers off in the summer. Because there are few other LH options in the system ... and because TEX may not know for sure about Ortiz until July - August ... that means Kirkman is going to be kept close (IMO) and means to me that when Soria is really ready it will be one of the RH RPs bumped.

Scheppers -- despite his rough outing last night ... I think TEX envisions Scheppers taking over the setup role until Soria returns and he (and/or Soria) become the alternate closer when TEX elects to not roll Nathan out there on back to back hot weather high leverage games/situations.

This is two weeks in ... probably all going to change while TEX is @ SEA ... with Lowe and/or Frasor coming in and pitching no hit relief for 3.0 or a couple of 1.0 appearances respectively. Kirkman will do himself a lot of good having a couple of super 1.0 or 2.0 appearances too. I still think Frasor is the one on the bubble based on what limited use and performance we have seen to this point.

Technically Ortiz spent about half the season in AAA last year, 24 games worth

And I agree, I'd like to keep Kirkman over either Frasor or Lowe, those are the two on the bubble for me

Like to see Scheppers step up and become the #2 setup guy behind Soria and have Soria become the #2 closer in the dog days of summer

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Technically Ortiz spent about half the season in AAA last year, 24 games worth

And I agree, I'd like to keep Kirkman over either Frasor or Lowe, those are the two on the bubble for me

Like to see Scheppers step up and become the #2 setup guy behind Soria and have Soria become the #2 closer in the dog days of summer

Yea ... forgot Ortiz had half a season at AAA. His numbers there were equally as good as he's had at every level. Incredible WHIP. Made him even more legit for the role that Ross had last year.

Love the idea of Ross (24yo season) and Ortiz (22yo season) ... and Scheppers is only 26.

Best thing about Ross nailing down the the 8th last night is that we didn't see Frasor in there with runners on base. The idea of Frasor coming in there was very scary.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea ... forgot Ortiz had half a season at AAA. His numbers there were equally as good as he's had at every level. Incredible WHIP. Made him even more legit for the role that Ross had last year.

Love the idea of Ross (24yo season) and Ortiz (22yo season) ... and Scheppers is only 26.

Best thing about Ross nailing down the the 8th last night is that we didn't see Frasor in there with runners on base. The idea of Frasor coming in there was very scary.

I always thought of Frasor as veteran filler, we weren't sure of what we had and brought in some veteran arms to hold down the fort, look at Frasor's numbers and outside a couple decent seasons, nothing to really be all warm and fuzzy about

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I built a thread over on ESPN inviting the old crew over for the game day threads. I think when they check us out they might actually enjoy the place and stay.

I almost PM'd a few of the old timers that we used to talk with on a regular basis over there. Trying to grow our Ranger fanbase just a little.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I built a thread over on ESPN inviting the old crew over for the game day threads. I think when they check us out they might actually enjoy the place and stay.

I almost PM'd a few of the old timers that we used to talk with on a regular basis over there. Trying to grow our Ranger fanbase just a little.

Posted there following your providing the link to the Rangers board ... and it hasn't shown up. Remember when they did the mod over there and lost everyone in the period of a couple of weeks? What a hassle it was with posts taking a long time to appear. I don't miss it.

Would be good to get a good number of either the old guys or new guys who post there to move over here though. Good idea posting over there.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted there following your providing the link to the Rangers board ... and it hasn't shown up. Remember when they did the mod over there and lost everyone in the period of a couple of weeks? What a hassle it was with posts taking a long time to appear. I don't miss it.

Would be good to get a good number of either the old guys or new guys who post there to move over here though. Good idea posting over there.

HammerDown is really wanting to get more baseball talk going on here at the hoop. We had some guys that were opinionated, but really loved baseball. Would like to get some of them here.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"opinionated" ... who isn't opinionated there or here?

Agree ... need to keep recruiting if not on the forum may reach out to some who respond to ESPN stories ... maybe some on the BBTIA board too who miss the game chats and "opinions" with it in stasis.