• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Season Thread - 2013 Edition

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if anyone wants to venture to the mlb general....we are getting a influx of mlb fans if you wanna stop by

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Feliz won't be a real contributor to this year's team.

Romeo ... I moved your post over to the Season Thread from Cubs #1 thread ... where I think it has longer relevance.

I agree with you. We need to mark our comments to see how it turns out ... but I think you are very right and fans who think Feliz will be back to contribute mightily in the second half I think are unrealistically optimistic.

Actually ... I bet TEX isn't counting on any of the injured guys (Colby, Soria, Perez or Feliz) contributing at all until they are beating down the door from rehab assignments to get back into the regular rotation or back end of the bullpen.

On somewhat related note ... this morning's story that TEX is talking perhaps to BAL (and others) ahead of the 1pm deadline to trade Borbon and they are looking for pitching in return is curious in light of the move yesterday trading Beliveau to TBR for cash. I don't see TEX getting a P prospect for Borbon equal to Beliveau in return ... so why did they trade him? (Maybe they are looking to trade Borbon to TBR for Beliveau because they didn't want to see him picked up by HOU off the waiver wire?)

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow ... Profar went 3 for 5 with a 3b and HR last night against OKC (Oberholtzer). Couple of guys down there (Butler and Chirinos) are pretty hot ... although Olt went 0-4 last night with a K and is really struggling still.

I keep wondering about Chirinos ... maybe he gets packaged with Borbon. He's raking it and there is always a market for catchers who can hit.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You gotta feel a bit for Borbon ... this story has lasted a whole year at least. Am sure he wants to just move on and get another opportunity elsewhere. Anywhere.

He definitely had problems in ST and early season with his confidence in the field ... not helped by Hamilton not letting him take charge of the OF. And being put in the leadoff spot out of ST as a sophomore after a very hot successful previous fall ... was not putting him in position or role where he had good chance for success.

TEX has not done a great job bringing young guys along in general. Elvis is perhaps the one exception. The teacher's pet.

Doubt Borbon clears waivers ... there is no down side of someone taking a shot at him.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gotta feel a bit for Borbon ... this story has lasted a whole year at least. Am sure he wants to just move on and get another opportunity elsewhere. Anywhere.

He definitely had problems in ST and early season with his confidence in the field ... not helped by Hamilton not letting him take charge of the OF. And being put in the leadoff spot out of ST as a sophomore after a very hot successful previous fall ... was not putting him in position or role where he had good chance for success.

TEX has not done a great job bringing young guys along in general. Elvis is perhaps the one exception. The teacher's pet.

Doubt Borbon clears waivers ... there is no down side of someone taking a shot at him.

As of right now it looks like the wrong CFer is being DFAed. I have a feeling Borbon will move on and in time make somebody a good ballplayer. I think he was sort of given a bum rap here so I hope he makes it somewhere.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cody Buckel = Kasey Kiker

Had you asked me to pick a guy that I thought would make the biggest leap this year it would have been Buckel. Seems he just lost it from September to March.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Had you asked me to pick a guy that I thought would make the biggest leap this year it would have been Buckel. Seems he just lost it from September to March.

Watched Buckel in the season opener here in Arkansas. He was terrible. Absolutely terrible: 2.2IP, 7ER, 5H, 5BB against 2K. Needs to quickly go to Surprise and extended ST before he really does become the next Kasey Kiker.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of right now it looks like the wrong CFer is being DFAed. I have a feeling Borbon will move on and in time make somebody a good ballplayer. I think he was sort of given a bum rap here so I hope he makes it somewhere.

Who would've been the correct CFer?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Buckel in the season opener here in Arkansas. He was terrible. Absolutely terrible: 2.2IP, 7ER, 5H, 5BB against 2K. Needs to quickly go to Surprise and extended ST before he really does become the next Kasey Kiker.

I've always liked Buckel, I don't know what has happened to him

He's always been a potentially plus command and control guy that didn't blow you away with his fastball, which is fine, but now he's none of the above

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who would've been the correct CFer?

I'm guessing if we are talking really DFAing ... he means Engle Beltre ... but that wouldn't have allowed TEX to keep Borbon either since he is out of options. What TEX might have done is optioned Martin back at AAA to give him every day work there to get hot rather than platooning Martin with Gentry. TEX might have platooned Borbon with Gentry or just made him the 4th OF.

I wonder too just as Al speculated that the $15mil spent on Martin is coloring their thinking. Martin has had only 60PAs going into 2013 ... TEX could repeat the mistake it made on Borbon if they are not careful in how they develop Martin especially with his crazy swing. It is very difficult for a young guy ... in his first season out of camp to get hot ... especially in a platoon. Running him down to AAA for a month or so ... then when you are able to work the trade for Borbon on your own schedule ... you move Borbon and replace him with a hot Martin instead of Martin having to start at the ML level cold.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing if we are talking really DFAing ... he means Engle Beltre ... but that wouldn't have allowed TEX to keep Borbon either since he is out of options. What TEX might have done is optioned Martin back at AAA to give him every day work there to get hot rather than platooning Martin with Gentry. TEX might have platooned Borbon with Gentry or just made him the 4th OF.

I wonder too just as Al speculated that the $15mil spent on Martin is coloring their thinking. Martin has had only 60PAs going into 2013 ... TEX could repeat the mistake it made on Borbon if they are not careful in how they develop Martin especially with his crazy swing. It is very difficult for a young guy ... in his first season out of camp to get hot ... especially in a platoon. Running him down to AAA for a month or so ... then when you are able to work the trade for Borbon on your own schedule ... you move Borbon and replace him with a hot Martin instead of Martin having to start at the ML level cold.

I've never seen Engle Beltre play.

When I said as of right now, I meant Martin. The guy looks lost at the plate and I haven't seen anything from him YET that warrants a 15 million dollar payday, but the money always plays and it's early. Still time for him to develope, but I saw more from Borbon that I liked than from the Cuban.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've never seen Engle Beltre play.

When I said as of right now, I meant Martin. The guy looks lost at the plate and I haven't seen anything from him YET that warrants a 15 million dollar payday, but the money always plays and it's early. Still time for him to develope, but I saw more from Borbon that I liked than from the Cuban.

Saw Beltre play at AA. Not since. Wasn't that impressed with him offensively or defensively.

TEX wouldn't DFA Martin of course ... but starting him at AAA to get up to speed might be an option.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am considering defecting and becoming an Oriole fan. Already know their manager and half their players. They look like they are having a lot of fun out there too and don't seem to be taking days off en masse.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What if ... ?

If Borbon clears waivers and is then sent to Round Rock ... what does this mean for Engle Beltre who is struggling again so far this season?

Am not saying Borbon would get Beltre's 40-man spot ... but with Borbon at AAA again what spot is there in TEX plans for Beltre after 2 1/2 seasons at AA and despite full PT opportunity at Round Rock?

If Borbon clears waivers and is reassigned to Round Rock ... I would not be surprised to see Beltre traded on in some way they clear his roster spot to make room for a player who is more a part of this season's run.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wont clear waivers... Houston, Balt and a few others had shown interest in him.

And of those - the one that makes the most sense - is Houston.