• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Season Thread - 2013 Edition

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HammerDown is really wanting to get more baseball talk going on here at the hoop. We had some guys that were opinionated, but really loved baseball. Would like to get some of them here.

hey i started the mlb general board movement :pout:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"opinionated" ... who isn't opinionated there or here?

Agree ... need to keep recruiting if not on the forum may reach out to some who respond to ESPN stories ... maybe some on the BBTIA board too who miss the game chats and "opinions" with it in stasis.

I'm not opinionated at all, thats crazy talk

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Guys ... when will we learn (or Buster et al learn) that TEX is in the position to be "in" on every potential value move if for no other reason than to "price the market". Knowing what one club might want in exchange for a player helps TEX value its own assets.

The other thing is Buster gets this info from his sources which in addition to media types "close" to a club also include agents for the players involved who want to have a buzz out there too for their own and their player's benefit.

Sure ... agents will be quick to include TEX in the mix because TEX has $$$ and the market knows that TEX spends very wisely ... so if TEX is "in" on a particular player then maybe that is a "wise" move that they might execute. Other teams hear this and think ... "if TEX is 'in' on this guy then it must be a good move because TEX doesn't usually make bad moves so we need to think about moving on this first before TEX does".

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys ... when will we learn (or Buster et al learn) that TEX is in the position to be "in" on every potential value move if for no other reason than to "price the market". Knowing what one club might want in exchange for a player helps TEX value its own assets.

The other thing is Buster gets this info from his sources which in addition to media types "close" to a club also include agents for the players involved who want to have a buzz out there too for their own and their player's benefit.

Sure ... agents will be quick to include TEX in the mix because TEX has $$$ and the market knows that TEX spends very wisely ... so if TEX is "in" on a particular player then maybe that is a "wise" move that they might execute. Other teams hear this and think ... "if TEX is 'in' on this guy then it must be a good move because TEX doesn't usually make bad moves so we need to think about moving on this first before TEX does".

Exactly. It's news about nothing really.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think anybody would include Texas in a trade rumor about Stanton quicker than the Marlins and the turd that owns them.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey i started the mlb general board movement :pout:

I know you did, but he has been talking a lot lately about wanting more people here.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Exactly. It's news about nothing really.

You are right ... news about nothing. If these guys don't post they lose their relevance in the media market. If they rumor something is working and if it happens they are viewed as clairvoyant ... if it doesn't happen "well the teams couldn't come to agreement".

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If it makes sense for Murphy to be the everyday LF ... then it makes equal sense for Gentry to be the everyday CF.

Someone on the gameday thread pointed out the lack of production from CF. Hard for guys to open the season in a platoon and establish any level of performance. IMO TEX wasn't looking for anything other than OBP from both Gentry and Martin ... that's why they are batting ninth in front of the top of the order.

TEX poor production is primarily because of slow starts at the corners. CIF and COF starters are 42/191 = .222. If you drop Cruz who has been batting above .300 ... then the other three starters are 27/141 = .190 (which is exactly the same BA of the CF position). So no way is the operational failure a CF issue.

TEX 'old school' staid mindset has left the guy with one of the hottest bats in ST on the bench. Need Beltre in the lineup every day ... but TEX ought to consider at minimum looking at RH options in LF and 1b.

Moreland needs to work it out and get up to speed. He's more valuable in the long run in the everyday role at 1b. Murphy however is another thing. Baker ought to start against LHP and Murphy against RHP.

The opposite of my first line up top: If it makes sense for Gentry/Martin to platoon in CF ... then it makes equal sense for Baker/Murphy to platoon in LF. In my opinion...

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know you did, but he has been talking a lot lately about wanting more people here.

Strange ... have twice tried to add to the thread you started over on ESPN and its like they have the thread locked so you can't add a post to it. Have posted to other threads there ... but the one you started will not accept my additions. Maybe it was because you were promoting the competition. Dunno.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Soto is only going to get 1-2 games a week ... with dismal performance at the plate ... I'd rather see TEX move on early and elevate a AAA (or AA) catcher with a future to replace him.

AA -- Tomas Telis switch hitter, excelled at A-/A+ with a .286/.273/.476/.749 in 6 games for FRI

AAA -- Robinson Chirinos, RH bat with .417/.500/.500/1.000 already in 4 games for RR in just his first week in the TEX system. He's on the 40man too ... so why waste him at AAA if Soto isn't hitting?

I wondered why TEX had acquired Chirinos ... and it appears he is making the best of his opportunity.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Soto is only going to get 1-2 games a week ... with dismal performance at the plate ... I'd rather see TEX move on early and elevate a AAA (or AA) catcher with a future to replace him.

AA -- Tomas Telis switch hitter, excelled at A-/A+ with a .286/.273/.476/.749 in 6 games for FRI

AAA -- Robinson Chirinos, RH bat with .417/.500/.500/1.000 already in 4 games for RR in just his first week in the TEX system. He's on the 40man too ... so why waste him at AAA if Soto isn't hitting?

I wondered why TEX had acquired Chirinos ... and it appears he is making the best of his opportunity.

He's played in 3 games, with hits in 2 of them, hard to say he's not hitting at this point

Mostly a lack of opportunity at this point

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's played in 3 games, with hits in 2 of them, hard to say he's not hitting at this point

:agree:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Of course you are right. Just wish he'd hit in SEA when it counted most with men on base and TEX needing it.

With AJ hitting as well as he is ... hate to see him out of the lineup but know TEX has to rest him or he's going to be burned out when it gets to the summer.

C position is batting 15/48 = .310 ... so that is a marked improvement over 2012.

I'll cool my jets for now ... was surprised to see both AJ and Kinsler off the same day but Garcia did well in relief of Kinsler so really I shouldn't complain about Soto.

Am just perhaps overly focused on Murphy's dead spot in the batting order and it is coloring my impression of others too.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd certainly let him get more ABs before I judge him, but he's never really going to get it going if he's getting spot duty either

I'd take him for what he is, a solid defensive catcher that has trouble with average and strikeouts but has solid power

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd certainly let him get more ABs before I judge him, but he's never really going to get it going if he's getting spot duty either

I'd take him for what he is, a solid defensive catcher that has trouble with average and strikeouts but has solid power

Fair assessment ... and recognition that he was an upgrade over last year's #2C

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rangers traded Jeff Bileivau (sp?) to Tampa for cash considerations. It's starting to feel like they're just trying to establish open lines of trade with Tampa if and when price becomes available.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The rangers traded Jeff Bileivau (sp?) to Tampa for cash considerations. It's starting to feel like they're just trying to establish open lines of trade with Tampa if and when price becomes available.

Odd. TEX still owes TBR PTBNL for Chirinos for whom TEX made 40-man roster space by DFAing Beliveau last week. The curious thing is TEX didn't have to make roster space for Chirinos ... or DFA Beliveau who performed well in ST and in his first appearance for RR ... so why did they?

This is really just marginal minor league deals ... so the PTBNL can't be named now means he's very likely someone TEX drafted last June. That may actually be the precursor to a bigger deal. Chirinos isn't worth a first rounder. Is he?

I'm with Romeon on this. The moves between TBR and TEX seem odd to me and there might likely be a whole lot more going on and the pieces that have moved back and forth so far may just be part of a bigger move just broken into parts. Odd.