• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rev said on the stadium approval vote thread, "it ain't my money." Same thing here re: this free agent.....

Toronto is making a push, however, to retain the going-on–34-year-old Encarnacion, who's said to be seeking a five-year, $125 million deal.

Who's in for this deal?

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rev said on the stadium approval vote thread, "it ain't my money." Same thing here re: this free agent.....

Toronto is making a push, however, to retain the going-on–34-year-old Encarnacion, who's said to be seeking a five-year, $125 million deal.

Who's in for this deal?
If you are going to go with the mindset of "it ain't my money" so spend at will then you tend to think we should go out and sign an expensive free agent at every position of need. If you are going to go with the mindset of they have a budget to work with then you are going to want them to spend wisely. With reality in mind I don't want them spending that much for a 34 year old player at that length of contract. There is a very good chance he declines very rapidly at his age.

I think they said they want to keep the budget somewhere in the $150-160 million range so you can reasonably expect them to spend that much plus a little more if the right deal comes along. Maybe close to $165-170 million. I haven't even tried to look at what we have on the books to spend currently to see about how much more they can be expected to spend. Frankly I am still too bummed over how the postseason went to care enough to figure it out.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball is a business and to make money for that business you put butts in the seats of your ballpark. How do you do that? By putting a highly competitve team on the field, not a .500 team but a team wins 90+ games every year year after year. That means spending money when you can't fill a position internally like we are facing with our starting rotation, at 1st base and in the outfield.most won't agree saying let's settle for Gallo a chance at1st, let's gamble on Perez etc and let's gamble on somebody in the outfield instead of Desmond and Gomez. I know most would rather sit and wait

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball is a business and to make money for that business you put butts in the seats of your ballpark. How do you do that? By putting a highly competitve team on the field, not a .500 team but a team wins 90+ games every year year after year. That means spending money when you can't fill a position internally like we are facing with our starting rotation, at 1st base and in the outfield.most won't agree saying let's settle for Gallo a chance at1st, let's gamble on Perez etc and let's gamble on somebody in the outfield instead of Desmond and Gomez. I know most would rather sit and wait
I agree with Butts in the seats. Do not agree to accepting Gallo until he is ready if he ever gets that far. Perez is a viable #4,5 and think we should sign Gomez and Ian if we can. That being said, spend the money if feasible.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Butts in the seats. Do not agree to accepting Gallo until he is ready if he ever gets that far. Perez is a viable #4,5 and think we should sign Gomez and Ian if we can. That being said, spend the money if feasible.

that's what i want too

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not agree to accepting Gallo until he is ready if he ever gets that far. Perez is a viable #4,5 and think we should sign Gomez and Ian if we can. That being said, spend the money if feasible.

Agreed on Gallo. I'm prepared to be totally patient with him and let the chips fall where they may for 2017 with him.

I could see us signing Gomez before Desmond. But they're both looking to cash in over and there's no way we can sustain a huge hit, even if we're willing to expand the budget.

And don't forget, we still need 2 starting pitchers, help at 1st, etc.

Last edited:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on Gallo. I'm prepared to be totally patient with him and let the chips fall where they may for 2017 with him.

I could see us signing Gomez before Desmond. But they're both looking to cash in over $100 mil each and there's no way we can sustain that hit, even if we're willing to expand the budget.

And don't forget, we still need 2 starting pitchers, help at 1st, etc.
Key to my comment is feasible.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would y'all be willing to pay Gomez & Desmond, and how many years each?

Actually, on 2nd thought, Gomez probably can't get the $100 mil. But Desmond just might.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texas Rangers have the pieces and financial wherewithal to make a splash in their quest to find pitching this offseason, but might not be willing to do so.

rumorcentral_16x9_203x114.png
Instead, the Rangers are likely to pursue a mid- to bottom-of-the-rotation starter, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports writes. Rosenthal notes that Texas hasn't re-engaged the Tampa Bay Rays on any of their potentially available starters and isn't showing much interest in left-hander Rich Hill, who is perceived to be the top arm available on the free-agent market.

The Rays and Rangers were involved in trade discussions leading up to the Aug. 1 deadline, but a deal was never reached. Texas instead added to its offense and bullpen, winning the AL West easily but falling to the Toronto Blue Jays in the AL Division Series.

The Rangers have two great arms in Cole Hamels and Yu Darvish at the top of their rotation, but the group as a whole posted a 4.38 ERA this year.

T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com suggests the team's best bargaining chip for adding a pitcher could be infielder Jurickson Profar.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Signing Desmond is a bad idea.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if there are any international pitchers available that are good enough to slot into a rotation spot next year.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jared Sandler on the radio today, that he thinks the Rays would take Profar and Mazara for Archer. Don't know if I would do that. I would sure hate to give up Maz.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Middlebrook is their opening salvo for the offseason i'm not impressed

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Desmond is a bad idea.

I think at the $ and years it will take, that its certainly going to be an over pay. My question is, even though he had a significantly different first month/second half, he carried the offense to lots of late inning wins and comebacks w some big hits and HR's. Not sure where that comes from w out him last season. That worries me, and I don't count on Gomez much until he proves that last month, is what he is, and he's not the guy DFA'd by Houston

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jared Sandler on the radio today, that he thinks the Rays would take Profar and Mazara for Archer. Don't know if I would do that. I would sure hate to give up Maz.

No way, Man. That's just too much.