• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OFFICIAL OFF SEASON THREAD ( 2017 )

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be interesting to see what he thinks he's worth
I think he realizes that it is up to the process to determine his worth. All you need is one team that is desperate for pitching to jack up the price and I think there are a lot of teams in that category including our favorite team.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he realizes that it is up to the process to determine his worth. All you need is one team that is desperate for pitching to jack up the price and I think there are a lot of teams in that category including our favorite team.

No team was desperate to pay his option price and it came with a second year so it will be lower. We saw. What happened to Cruz if not bought in early. If Dutch is smart he will sign a contract but with incentives early. His injury history has to scare teams off a bit

To me this non option was obvious. I do think he is still a Ranger option but at a rate conducive to a #5 starter.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team was desperate to pay his option price and it came with a second year so it will be lower. We saw. What happened to Cruz if not bought in early. If Dutch is smart he will sign a contract but with incentives early. His injury history has to scare teams off a bit

To me this non option was obvious. I do think he is still a Ranger option but at a rate conducive to a #5 starter.
Well, no team was willing to trade for him. They would have had to pay his option price and give up players for him. No one would do that when he was about to be cut loose.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Derek Holland move, Rangers trying to reverse trend of bad decisions on starting pitching | SportsDay
“If he had been healthy and throwing innings this would have been a much different decision,” GM Jon Daniels said. “The injuries completely derailed him. We just have to evaluate him in terms of the market place. This doesn’t necessarily close the door on anything.”

Holland would like to return, even if that means a lesser base salary. The Rangers would like to see if they can do better. It’s what they must do because the Holland situation also speaks to why the Rangers are in their current predicament. It speaks to why they need two starting pitchers, don’t have anybody in the minor league system ready to step in and are still willing to let a controllable pitcher with a seemingly club-friendly contract leave.

In short: They just haven’t made very good decisions on starting pitching.

Eventually, it catches up.

The descent starts with the 2009 draft when the Rangers chose between two Texas high school pitchers. They opted for Matt Purke. He never signed. Shelby Miller went to St. Louis and has had a pair of double-digit win seasons, a 200-inning season and has twice been traded for significant hauls.

Now, I can go on and on and cite missed opportunities on pitchers over the next few drafts. Guys like Aaron Sanchez, Noah Syndergaard, Taijuan Walker and 2016 Rookie of the Year Finalist Michael Fulmer were all drafted after the Rangers used their first pick of the draft and sometimes second. But, in fairness, that’s cherry-picking. It’s not so much that the Rangers didn’t get all those guys; it’s that they didn’t get any. None of their first-round picks over the last seven years have turned into contributing big league pitchers.

Part of that was strategy. In the waning days of wild west scouting in Latin America, the Rangers threw around money, to quote Astros GM Jeff Luhnow, “like drunken sailors.” That money, however, had to come from somewhere. A.J. Preller, now the GM in San Diego, tended to favor international scouting over the draft.

Now, the Rangers are reassessing everything. A thorough examination of their process is part of the self-evaluation.

“We want to make sure we have consistency in our approach,” Daniels said. “We want to have a good system, a good process and good people. We want to provide our people with the tools and infrastructure to make good decisions. We’ve looked back to learn, but we’re looking forward.”

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, no team was willing to trade for him. They would have had to pay his option price and give up players for him. No one would do that when he was about to be cut loose.
Don't know if I would be willing to give him 5 years.

3 years max unless 4th year an option. We shall see. Boras plays his guys up high early. I really think the Rangers should have just let him take CF over Des from a defensive standpoint

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Derek Holland move, Rangers trying to reverse trend of bad decisions on starting pitching | SportsDay
“If he had been healthy and throwing innings this would have been a much different decision,” GM Jon Daniels said. “The injuries completely derailed him. We just have to evaluate him in terms of the market place. This doesn’t necessarily close the door on anything.”

Holland would like to return, even if that means a lesser base salary. The Rangers would like to see if they can do better. It’s what they must do because the Holland situation also speaks to why the Rangers are in their current predicament. It speaks to why they need two starting pitchers, don’t have anybody in the minor league system ready to step in and are still willing to let a controllable pitcher with a seemingly club-friendly contract leave.

In short: They just haven’t made very good decisions on starting pitching.

Eventually, it catches up.

The descent starts with the 2009 draft when the Rangers chose between two Texas high school pitchers. They opted for Matt Purke. He never signed. Shelby Miller went to St. Louis and has had a pair of double-digit win seasons, a 200-inning season and has twice been traded for significant hauls.

Now, I can go on and on and cite missed opportunities on pitchers over the next few drafts. Guys like Aaron Sanchez, Noah Syndergaard, Taijuan Walker and 2016 Rookie of the Year Finalist Michael Fulmer were all drafted after the Rangers used their first pick of the draft and sometimes second. But, in fairness, that’s cherry-picking. It’s not so much that the Rangers didn’t get all those guys; it’s that they didn’t get any. None of their first-round picks over the last seven years have turned into contributing big league pitchers.

Part of that was strategy. In the waning days of wild west scouting in Latin America, the Rangers threw around money, to quote Astros GM Jeff Luhnow, “like drunken sailors.” That money, however, had to come from somewhere. A.J. Preller, now the GM in San Diego, tended to favor international scouting over the draft.

Now, the Rangers are reassessing everything. A thorough examination of their process is part of the self-evaluation.

“We want to make sure we have consistency in our approach,” Daniels said. “We want to have a good system, a good process and good people. We want to provide our people with the tools and infrastructure to make good decisions. We’ve looked back to learn, but we’re looking forward.”

Thanks for post albeit a bit harsh. I am not a DMN subscriber However definite truth in SP player development

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Prince was right. Congrats