• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners trade deadline rumors/armchair GM thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they could trade him for Verlander and Wilson for the pen, I would do it.

Maybe I'm a bit stingy, but for O'Neill I'd hope for Verlander and someone else a bit younger. Although I'd do it if the Tigers were willing to eat a portion of Verlander's salary, which they have indicated they're willing to do. It's just a matter of how much.

I just worry that O'Neill's value is a bit depressed right now, and the demand for starting pitching is very high.

I also like O'Neill's long-term potential. People mostly talk about the power, but he's a guy who could steal 15-20 bases at the MLB level and play above average defense. He really is a five tool player.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm a bit stingy, but for O'Neill I'd hope for Verlander and someone else a bit younger. Although I'd do it if the Tigers were willing to eat a portion of Verlander's salary, which they have indicated they're willing to do. It's just a matter of how much.

I just worry that O'Neill's value is a bit depressed right now, and the demand for starting pitching is very high.

I also like O'Neill's long-term potential. People mostly talk about the power, but he's a guy who could steal 15-20 bases at the MLB level and play above average defense. He really is a five tool player.

He is quality, but it takes quality to get pitching right now. Funny because just the last 4 or 5 years or so the trend turned and hitting was more expensive than pitching to get.

Wilson will turn 30 next month. I guess I just don't see that as old for a reliever these days.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is quality, but it takes quality to get pitching right now. Funny because just the last 4 or 5 years or so the trend turned and hitting was more expensive than pitching to get.

Wilson will turn 30 next month. I guess I just don't see that as old for a reliever these days.

You're probably right on that one. Unless a guy has overpowering stuff, generally when he's young I wonder how much of it is due to a small sample size.

The nerd in me would find a meta-analysis on the career trajectory of relievers pretty interesting.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're going to move O'Neill or any of our top prospects, I'd want it to be part of a package that nets us a guy who will help us for 3 years or more.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To continue my long string of posts:

Yikes.

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the Astros are not in "serious talks" for Sonny Gray.

Per Heyman, Houston is "looking elsewhere" right now. That conflicts with a report by MLB Network's Jon Morosi, who said earlier today that talks were "heating up" between the A's and Astros. It's possible the Astros balked at Oakland's asking price for Gray but with the trade deadline over a week away, there's still time for the sides to strike a deal. Jeff Samardzija could be a fallback option for the Astros if they lose out on Gray, who is also being pursued by the Yankees and Indians.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Ken Rosenthal

The Mariners seem virtually certain to at least touch base with the A’s on Gray; GM Jerry Dipoto, who traded for reliever David Phelps on Thursday, has said he will “leave no stone unturned” in his quest for pitching, and the addition of a controllable starter is one of his stated goals.

The Seattle farm system is not particularly strong; a deal for Gray almost certainly would need to include an outfielder off the team’s major-league roster. But Dipoto is nothing if not a deal-maker, and Gray could be the piece that helps the Mariners reach the postseason for the first time since 2001.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Ken Rosenthal

The Mariners seem virtually certain to at least touch base with the A’s on Gray; GM Jerry Dipoto, who traded for reliever David Phelps on Thursday, has said he will “leave no stone unturned” in his quest for pitching, and the addition of a controllable starter is one of his stated goals.

The Seattle farm system is not particularly strong; a deal for Gray almost certainly would need to include an outfielder off the team’s major-league roster. But Dipoto is nothing if not a deal-maker, and Gray could be the piece that helps the Mariners reach the postseason for the first time since 2001.

Gray is someone I'd be willing to move O'Neill and other top prospects for. Not a free agent until 2020, on the right side of 30 and doesn't rely on overwhelming stuff to get guys out - meaning he won't experience as much regression as a guy who relies on velocity. Meaning he's a guy who will likely pitch effectively long past 30.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gray is someone I'd be willing to move O'Neill and other top prospects for. Not a free agent until 2020, on the right side of 30 and doesn't rely on overwhelming stuff to get guys out - meaning he won't experience as much regression as a guy who relies on velocity. Meaning he's a guy who will likely pitch effectively long past 30.

Two years ago I would have emptied the farm for him, but he really dropped off a cliff last year. Not really sure which Gray we would be getting for the next few years. I am mixed on this to say the least.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what it would take to get Gray?

O'Neill, Neirdert, (insert random C+ prospect here), (Heredia)?

Billy Beane seems to value guys like Heredia. He's under team control until 2023, still pretty raw, hits fairly decent and is a great fielder.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two years ago I would have emptied the farm for him, but he really dropped off a cliff last year. Not really sure which Gray we would be getting for the next few years. I am mixed on this to say the least.

I won't claim to have seen him too much or even know what caused the drop off last year, but if you negate that drop off and chalk it up to an injury or some other fluke issue, I think he's worth what I posted above.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Heredia has A LOT of room to improve. His swing is off-balanced and yet he still manages to hit fairly well. If he controlled his swing a bit better, I think he'd be able to generate more power and make more contact.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but if you negate that drop off and chalk it up to an injury or some other fluke issue, I think he's worth what I posted above.

That to me is the million dollar question. If it was something fluky, then go for it. If it was an arm starting to break down, run away from the deal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Heredia has A LOT of room to improve. His swing is off-balanced and yet he still manages to hit fairly well. If he controlled his swing a bit better, I think he'd be able to generate more power and make more contact.

Spot on and I have said the same thing to my wife many times.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That to me is the million dollar question. If it was something fluky, then go for it. If it was an arm starting to break down, run away from the deal.

Well, so far this year in a fairly decent sample size he has put up numbers around his career norm (when you negate that season).

But as I said, I haven't watched him enough to know if there was something fundamentally different about last season.