• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread 2018-2019

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams are allowed to trade competitive balance picks, which are the supplemental picks after the first and second rounds. The Padres recently acquired the Twins’ supplemental second-round pick (No. 74 overall) in the trade that offloaded veteran Phil Hughes and some of his salary.

i like it..a high 2 round pick or low 3rd however you want to look at it encarnacion was not as good as cruz..but only about
8 hr shy
if it turns into one of the collage pitchers i have scouted..i would be more than happy...lol

RIGHT-HANDED PITCHER 6'4" 205 LBS
DYLAN THOMAS

but i will just ..........dream on ....for now....lol

but i would think a trade with sandiego

bruce for myer
and
leake for cordero
lololol

now that they have ed encarnacion

Last edited:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners receive:
-Edwin Encarnacion ($26.6m + incl $5m buyout)
-Round B competitive balance pick (#77 overall)
-$5m (from Rays)

Indians receive:
-Carlos Santana ($40m)
-$6m from Mariners

Pretty fair overall. Mariners save roughly $12m and land the #77 overall pick in the 2019 MLB draft. To put that into perspective, guys drafted in that round usually enter the system with a 45-50 prospect grade using the 20-80 scale. Josh Stowers (our #10 overall prospect) is probably an adequate comparison to what we'd select at that spot.

I assume Encarnacion will be on the move soon.

No reason not to like this. 2020 salary relief compared to Santana, Comp pick and you can still flip Encarnacion for something else

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this deal overall as well... If we don't trade Edwin before the season, he would be great trade bait for the Trade deadline...

Seems like he would fetch more at the deadline but I doubt Jerry is that patient

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that would give san diego a platoon in LF of bruce and renfro with janikowski the all of guy

mariners need to get a short stop some where

the rockies hampton is a good one

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rumors are that the Mariners are pursing Sonny Gray from the Yankees... It wouldn't take much to get him... He's only 28 years old... I like the idea of seeing if he can resurrect his career in Seattle... Edwin for Sonny and a prospect?

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed... Especially since his contract expires at the end of the '19 season...

rumors are that the Mariners are pursing Sonny Gray from the Yankees... It wouldn't take much to get him... He's only 28 years old... I like the idea of seeing if he can resurrect his career in Seattle... Edwin for Sonny and a prospect?

or clint frazier OF R/R
and gray

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seem to be way off trade value, but isn't Gray worth more than Edwin considering age, salary, and the fact he had all star type numbers away from Yankee stadium?

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners receive:
-Edwin Encarnacion ($26.6m + incl $5m buyout)
-Round B competitive balance pick (#77 overall)
-$5m (from Rays)

Indians receive:
-Carlos Santana ($40m)
-$6m from Mariners

Pretty fair overall. Mariners save roughly $12m and land the #77 overall pick in the 2019 MLB draft. To put that into perspective, guys drafted in that round usually enter the system with a 45-50 prospect grade using the 20-80 scale. Josh Stowers (our #10 overall prospect) is probably an adequate comparison to what we'd select at that spot.

I assume Encarnacion will be on the move soon.
This is a great move from Dipoto.. had mentioned in the previous trade involving Santana it only maje sense to flip him for prospects. They got more than I expected tbh... #77 and Encarnacion is a great trade bait. He’s a Cruz type player that they can also flip this offseason or wait until the deadline when he’s most valuable.

If you’re looking for a package type deal, i think now is the time involving Encarnacion.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we aren't allowed to trade picks in baseball? Also do we get a compensation pick for Nelson Cruz? He met with the Twins I believe either today or yesterday

@FirebreathingMonkey got you for the first question.

Regarding a compensation pick for Nelson Cruz, I don't think so.

MLB qualifying offer rules explained

I only skimmed this, but in order for a team to receive a compensation pick you must give the player a qualifying offer, which the Mariners did not do with Cruz. A one year qualifying offer would be $17.9m. You can debate if the Mariners should've given him one or not, but I can see why they didn't.

Oh EDIT: Since Cruz has previously received a qualifying offer, that means that the Mariners are unable to give him one.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A package including:

Jay Bruce+Mike Leake+Edwin Encarnacion

Believe the M’s can haul back a ton with this.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason not to like this. 2020 salary relief compared to Santana, Comp pick and you can still flip Encarnacion for something else

I like it overall.

I also like the idea of going for a draft pick instead of another team's prospect. Allows the Mariners to decide who they want and develop the player in their system.

Why Trading for Top Prospects Is Less of a Win Than MLB Teams Seem to Think

This was interesting and somewhat pertains to the logic I'm following here. Generally there is an information gap between teams when prospects are involved. There's always the chance that any prospect the Mariners would reasonably receive in the deal may not be as good as whoever we'd select in that slot.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About Seattle's new hockey team, I obviously don't expect Vegas like success right away. Expansion teams normally kinda suck for a while. Though it would be awesome.

So my question for you guys is which team reaches the playoffs first? The Mariners or the new NHL team.
I bet one of them wins a championship before the Oklahomo Shitty Plunder do.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like he would fetch more at the deadline but I doubt Jerry is that patient

Given his age and career trajectory, there's always a risk that he could regress in 2019. Although on the other hand you could argue that he could be extra motivated by being in a career year.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@FirebreathingMonkey got you for the first question.

Regarding a compensation pick for Nelson Cruz, I don't think so.

MLB qualifying offer rules explained

I only skimmed this, but in order for a team to receive a compensation pick you must give the player a qualifying offer, which the Mariners did not do with Cruz. A one year qualifying offer would be $17.9m. You can debate if the Mariners should've given him one or not, but I can see why they didn't.
The new CBA (last year) does not allowed a player to have more than 1 qualfying offer in their career. Under the old rules Cruz received one when he was Rangers and another with the Orioles.

Basically, in regards to Cruz, the M’s got screwed because they aren’t allowed to offer Cruz a qualifying offer under the new CBA rule because he already received a couple in the past.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seem to be way off trade value, but isn't Gray worth more than Edwin considering age, salary, and the fact he had all star type numbers away from Yankee stadium?

Gray's value is really diminished by the fact that the Yankees are definitely going to trade him and everyone knows that. He just cannot pitch in New York. The fact that they even moved him to the bullpen despite his excellent numbers on the road tells me it could also be an issue of the pressure of playing in New York city.

Don't know what a Gray - EE trade would look like, but there would obviously be other pieces involved. Ellsbury could be included to offset money.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new CBA (last year) does not allowed a player to have more than 1 qualfying offer in their career. Under the old rules Cruz received one when he was Rangers and another with the Orioles.

Basically, in regards to Cruz, the M’s got screwed because they aren’t allowed to offer Cruz a qualifying offer under the new CBA rule because he already received a couple in the past.

Yeah I realized that after making the post. Sucks for us. Would've been nice to either keep Cruz for another year and trade him or get a pick for him walking.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and i wouldnt say the M’a got screwed... because even if Cruz was eligible for the M’s he would jump on that offer. Only way to get the pick if he decline the qual offer

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and i wouldnt say the M’a got screwed... because even if Cruz was eligible for the M’s he would jump on that offer. Only way to get the pick if he decline the qual offer

It's possible. Would be up for debate if the Mariners would even give him a qualifying offer for that reason. Even if he did accept it, he could've been flipped at some point for something.

The Mariners outperforming their talent level last year really hurt us. We could've moved a lot of these guys at the deadline last year and likely got a lot more in return.